PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper than Dirt RIPOFF

Buckshot Bill
12-18-2013, 01:35 PM
ordered some 22 ammo from CTD the other day advertised price was $23 per 500 rnd box, the same as most other online dealers. I got my order the other day, all of a sudden the invoice says 50 round boxes not 500 round, check their website and now the ad says 50 round boxes too, and still charged me the $23. Of course ammo is a non returnable item by their policy so they stuck me with $18 worth of ammo for $138+ ship. Yeah, that's not shady at all. I had heard mixed things about CTD, now I have first hand experience, guess I learned my lesson! I would warn anyone against doing business with CTD if at all possible.

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
What does the email order confirmation invoice say? just curious.

Buckshot Bill
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
it says 50 round box as well, but when i ordered the title said 500 round. Their site is even the first one that comes up on the search engine when you search CCI quiet 22 brick.

W.R.Buchanan
12-18-2013, 08:04 PM
I have warned about this outfit numerous times here. Their gouging is blatant, and they don't seem to give a Fat Ship about your opinions either.

I have every intention of talking to La Pierre at the shot show this year and I am going to discuss this outfits sponsorship of the TV program as well.

They are a poorly run outfit and their gouging has to affect their sales. I personally want to make it severely affect their sales.

The most severe gouging I have seen from them is "Used M16 mags for $99.95 each" and "CCI .22 RFM 50 round box for $79.95."

Although $23.00/50 round box is pretty egregious as well at .46 cents a round.

Especially when I just paid .12 a round for Federal .22 LR's this week from Centerfire Systems which I found on the http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ website.

It was $70 a 500rnd brick shipped. Which is still way too much but considering there is none available locally I had to buy something.

Don't buy anything from Cheaper Than Dirt!

And I don't even want to hear any Yap about "free enterprise" and "how they are not gouging," blah, blah, blah!

They suck and that's the long a short of it.

Stop them!

Randy

RED333
12-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I dont buy from them.

williamwaco
12-18-2013, 08:40 PM
They are BAD news.

dragon813gt
12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Did it say 500 rounds when you hit confirm order? If so it's bait and switch. Turn them into the better business bureau. If their website says 500 but then puts a 50 round box in your that seems like bait and switch as well.

Buckshot Bill
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Did it say 500 rounds when you hit confirm order? If so it's bait and switch. Turn them into the better business bureau. If their website says 500 but then puts a 50 round box in your that seems like bait and switch as well.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Only thing is, now their advertisement reflects what I received; 50 round boxes for $29. It's like they realized a typo once I placed my order and corrected it but didn't bother to inform me they were only going to send me 300 rounds instead of the 3000 I thought I was getting.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-024

Love Life
12-18-2013, 11:28 PM
When did they send the confirmation email? Immediately after submitting the order, or was it after they had changed the pricing?

DDriller
12-19-2013, 06:21 PM
The worthless ******** advertise here

Speedo66
12-20-2013, 12:21 AM
If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge with the credit card company.

Don't let the bastiges get away with it.

bangerjim
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM
As said above, you have recourse thru you credit card company!

False advertising.

I have been successful several times in the past calling my cc's and filing a claim against the payment/merchant. I got my money adjusted to what is should have been.

banger

Baja_Traveler
12-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Every forum in the country has been posting warnings about CTD for over two years now. No disrespect Buckshot, but my feeling is that anyone buying from them kinda deserves what they get...

dragon813gt
12-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Not everyone goes on the forums or has been in the hobby for two years. I'm wondering when they will go out of business. They're marketing can't keep up w/ word of mouth.

rattletrap1970
12-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Biggest scumbag gougers out there. I'll never order ANYTHING after watching the **** they pulled.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2013, 03:12 PM
As I said I will be talking to either La Pierre or his direct representative at the SHOT in a few weeks. I am going to make it perfectly clear that CTD's actions are not representative of the NRA no matter how much money the donate to the outfit.

I would think that the NRA's direct castigation of CTD's policies would plumb them up in a minute. I would also think that refunds to all the people they have screwed in the last year or so would be good reparations.

Not holding my breath on either front. But still if we keep at it sooner or later it will have a very convincing effect on the Outfit.

It would be nice if the OP could send CTD's CEO a letter a stating how he feels about being screwed, and indicating the impending fall out that is coming.

I doubt he even knows what is going on at the ground level.

Randy

dragon813gt
12-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I doubt he even knows what is going on at the ground level.

I'm betting they are his policies. Sending an email isn't going to do anything. I also have a feeling that CTD contributes heavily to the NRA-ILA. So good luck getting them to not take money from them. The Internet will be their downfall in the end. Information can not be stopped.

Avery Arms
12-20-2013, 03:27 PM
File a claim with visa/mastercard or whoever handled the funds then stop doing business with criminals.

southpaw
12-20-2013, 04:14 PM
As far as price gougeing goes, if there is someone dumb enough to pay it there will always be someone there to sell it to them. If it wasn't selling at those prices the price would either drop or they would go out of business. Since neither has happened yet it seems safe to say that they are finding people to pay the high prices.

However, this does not sound like price gougeing. You are saying they changed your order without telling you. My guess is that is illegal. At the least you should inform the better business bureau. Not sure if they investigate every complaint but if they get enough I bet they will.

Jerry Jr.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Southpaw: What you are saying is that "they are finding people who are stupid enough to pay their prices."

Well,,, Whereas that may be true,,, It doesn't make it right.

When people buy something and pay too much out of ignorance or desperation they are being taken advantage of. PERIOD!

It is fine to say well that's their problem,,, and it certainly is their problem. However it is also the problem of whomever knows better and remains silent.

There are "overts of commission," as well as "overts of omission." and neither is better than the other. They are just the front and back side of the same story. As in "overt act."

Not telling someone they are making a mistake, if you have a chance to do so, is the same as encouraging them to commit the error in the first place if they don't know the difference.

This is where I'm coming from on this whole topic of CTD.

Sometimes it is necessary to step up and correct bad behavior. Just letting it continue doesn't help anyone.

great example:

I almost got into a fight last night because while having dinner in this little restaurant I barked at a little Mexican kid who was completely out of control and making so much noise that it was irritating everyone in the restaurant. Nobody would say anything to his parents which were simply ignoring him, which was making him get louder by the second. I have no idea why these people act this way? maybe someone can enlighten me? Been to a WalMart in CA lately same thing times 10!

Finally I had enough and Barked "HEY!!! tone it down",,, to wit he immediately shut up. His mother was giving me stink eye and his father was just sitting there stewing.

A few minutes later an older Mexican man came over to our table all puffed up and told me I was an ******* and that had it been his kid He would take me out into the parking lot and kick my ***, which I doubt would have been the case, but whatever.

He said, I should have talked to the parents instead. Well it was pretty obvious his parents didn't care, but whatever,, again.

But rather than let it escalate any further I told him he was right and he went back and sat down and stayed all swelled up until we left.

I then apologized to the father of the kid who appeared to either not understand a word I said, or didn't give a ship.

This took exactly no effort on my part and diffused the situation, however the place was quiet for the rest of our meal which wasn't that good anyway. Probably shouldn't have left a tip.

Was I wrong for doing this? I have to admit that I just snapped, but if I had not stepped up, this kid would have kept going until he ran everyone out of that restaurant.

Should I have just sat there and took it? Liberals would.

What would you guys do?

And power to Phil Robertson for his recent comments. I'm pretty sick of Political Correctness.

Randy

pietro
12-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Shoulda, woulda, coulda printed out a screenshot of the 500 quantity amount when the order was entered - and took it to the feds (Inrtestate commerce, ya know) if/when any seller makes a change after someone orders.

southpaw
12-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Southpaw: What you are saying is that "they are finding people who are stupid enough to pay their prices."
Yup, pretty much.
Well,,, Whereas that may be true,,, It doesn't make it right.
Morally I agree, however, it is legal and all we can do is get the word out.
When people buy something and pay too much out of ignorance or desperation they are being taken advantage of. PERIOD!
If by desperation you mean your car just broke down and the only shop around has decided to charge you 10 times the normal amount cause you are broke down and no other chose, then yes I agree. They aren't the only game in town which brings us back to ignorance.
It is fine to say well that's their problem,,, and it certainly is their problem. However it is also the problem of whomever knows better and remains silent.

There are "overts of commission," as well as "overts of omission." and neither is better than the other. They are just the front and back side of the same story. As in "overt act."

Not telling someone they are making a mistake, is the same as encouraging them to commit the error in the first place if they don't know the difference.
There seems to be some amount of interpretation here. Some would see it an error and some would not. I doubt that those selling items for a outrageous price think it is wrong.
This is where I'm coming from on this whole topic of CTD.

Sometimes it is necessary to step up and correct bad behavior. Just letting it continue doesn't help anyone.
Some would say it is a self correcting problem. I know I won't do any business with them or any others that have gouged.
great example:

I almost got into a fight last night because while having dinner in this little restaurant I barked at a little Mexican kid who was completely out of control and making so much noise that it was irritating everyone in the restaurant. Nobody would say anything to his parents which were simply ignoring him, which was making him get louder by the second. I have no idea why these people act this way? maybe someone can enlighten me? Been to a WalMart in CA lately same thing times 10!

Finally I had enough and Barked "HEY!!! tone it down",,, to wit he immediately shut up. His mother was giving me stink eye and his father was just sitting there stewing.

A few minutes later an older Mexican man came over to our table all puffed up and told me I was an ******* and that had it been his kid He would take me out into the parking lot and kick my ***, which I doubt would have been the case, but whatever.

He said, I should have talked to the parents instead. Well it was pretty obvious his parents didn't care, but whatever,, again.

But rather than let it escalate any further I told him he was right and he went back and sat down and stayed all swelled up until we left.

I then apologized to the father of the kid who appeared to either not understand a word I said, or didn't give a ship.

This took exactly no effort on my part and diffused the situation, however the place was quiet for the rest of our meal which wasn't that good anyway. Probably shouldn't have left a tip.

Was I wrong for doing this? I have to admit that I just snapped, but if I had not stepped up, this kid would have kept going until he ran everyone out of that restaurant.
Yes you were wrong. You need to better control your temper. You should have said something to the parents. If that didn't work then you could have talked to the manager. Yelling at the kid did nothing more than make you look worse than him, after all you are suppose to be the adult. Maybe you could have even talked to the kid? It seems he wanted attention. Don't get me wrong, I have not problem with someone else yelling at others kids when it is needed (getting into things that they shouldn't, breaking things you get the idea) but for making a fuss, come on.
Should I have just sat there and took it? Liberals would.

What would you guys do?

And power to Phil Robertson for his recent comments. I'm pretty sick of Political Correctness.
Agree 100%
Randy

Jerry Jr.

Jon K
12-20-2013, 11:26 PM
As was said, once before...DIRT IS GETTING PRETTY EXPENSIVE!!!

Garyshome
12-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Talk to your State attorney general and the BBB and anyone else you can think of. Did you buy it with a credit card/ You might be able to get your money back. I usually give them a chance to make it right then call the AG anyhow.

Love Life
12-21-2013, 12:17 AM
So......you said they sent you an email confirmation after ordering. Did the confirmation say 500 rd box, or did you misread?

Smells like user error here, but whatever.....

uscra112
12-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Gotta read acknowledgments. That's their side of the contract. If it doesn't conform to what you ordered, you generally have the right to cancel if done promptly. But you gotta DO it. This coming from a retired project manager whose job it was (among a million other things) to read and write acknowledgments. When GM was the counterparty, you had to be extra careful - their purchasing guys were past masters at slipping stuff by you. (Sounds like CTD has hired a disciple of the GM school of contract management.)

southpaw
12-21-2013, 08:17 AM
So......you said they sent you an email confirmation after ordering. Did the confirmation say 500 rd box, or did you misread?

Smells like user error here, but whatever.....

it says 50 round box as well, but when i ordered the title said 500 round. Their site is even the first one that comes up on the search engine when you search CCI quiet 22 brick.

It would seem that it would be awful risky to change an order vs just ship it and then make the correction on the site. Since the email confirmation said 50rnds it does sound like he is sol. Also $30 for a brick of the segmented stuff seems a little cheap? Grafs lists them for $5.99 per 50. That should have been a flag right there.

Jerry Jr.

Prospector Howard
12-21-2013, 09:16 AM
I've never done business with CTD and never will. It's pretty common knowledge what a bunch of gougers they are. Just look at the prices on stuff. I'll bet they pulled the old bait and switch on him, it's the only way they can sell anything. Nobody in they're right mind would pay the prices they're asking. When hopefully things get back to normal, everyone should remember the way they do business and never order anything from them and they'll get what they deserve.

flint45
12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
I quit doing business with them years ago they are a rip off co. and do not care .

John Boy
12-21-2013, 02:49 PM
it says 50 round box as well, but when i ordered the title said 500 round. Their site is even the first one that comes up on the search engine when you search CCI quiet 22 brick. Impossible!
The B2B software that vendors use is real time - INSTANTLY. Not batch processed at a later time period, usually in the PM. The text description of the product is carried INSTANTLY into the cart. And then when the purchaser clicks on the cart to purchase, the product text description is again INSTANTLY recorded in the email purchase confirmation that you received

There is no way humanly possible that a CTD employee could have changed the header text description from 500 to 50 before you received the email confirmation stating 50 vs 500 that you thought you read.

Bill, IMO - your mind's eye read 500 when it was really 50 and you made a bad purchase!

Murphy
12-21-2013, 03:27 PM
$138.00 + shipping? That works out to $2.76 per cartridge. Ummm, something is definitely wrong. Anyway you want to cut it, this is wrong.

CTD is known for this BS (Gouging). I have a dear friend who called me a few years back telling me about some great deals he'd found. He'd been sent a CTD flyer. I told him then, no, not just no..but hail naw! Do NOT BUY FROM THEM.

I don't care if they are one of the sites sponsors. We can do without them. They are an enemy, not in anyway to be mistaken as anything less.

Pietro said it best. I can get screen shots of anything on my screen. I'm of the same school as a few others here. Contact the attorney general of Texas's office. The BBB, your CC company and if the A.G.'s office directs you to a consumer fraud department go for it.

CTD is what they is, a sorry, sorry, sorry excuse for a business. Even if the mistake is yours, lets all join in to sink their ship. I've never bought from them, never will. Won't advise anyone to ever purchase there either.

Murphy

southpaw
12-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry Murphy, 6 (boxes purchased) times 50 (quantity per box) equals 300. $138/300 equals $.46 each shot.

Does ctd donate any money to say the NRA or any other pro second groups? How about any hunting groups? Don't get me wrong I am in no way defending them. I won't buy from anyone who has jacked their prices because of the current environment but it is their product and they are free to charge what they will, just like I am free to spend my money where I see fit. Again, not defending them but they seem to be making sales.

Jerry Jr.

W.R.Buchanan
12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Jerry: CTD sponsors the National Rifleman TV show. and I'm sure they donate money to the NRA in other ways as well.

I personally want to make some of the higher ups at the NRA aware of their business practices in the hopes that they can be persuaded to start acting right. I will do so at SHOT next month if I can find them. The NRA always has a large booth there, it is just a matter of hitting it at the right time when the right guys are there.

Randy

shdwlkr
12-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Just to add a little salt to this issue way back before 22 rf stuff got almost impossible to find I got some cci quiets for $34.95 a brick sure glad I am not looking now. I have seen it higher than $30 for a box of 50 though.
CTD is one place to make very sure you read and then reread anything on their site, so there is no confusion on what you are getting and for what price.

kyle623
12-27-2013, 12:32 PM
there is a write a review at the bottom of that page, so write a review of what happened. see how long it stays up there.

Smoke4320
12-27-2013, 05:32 PM
CTD = Costler than death

Ben
12-28-2013, 11:39 AM
If they are as bad as described ? ? ?. avoid them....problem solved !

btroj
12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
If they are as bad as described ? ? ?. avoid them....problem solved !

Can it be that simple?

Tackleberry41
12-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Many many have been boycotting CTD for quite a while. Its been a long time since I ordered anything from them. I always got stuck with their weird shipping, order a big pile of stuff, one small item comes from a different warehouse and suddenly the shipping is more than the item. You really had to check your order to make sure you didn't get jammed on the shipping.

Then last Dec when the panic started. You might order more than a few pmags at the normal price, shows their in stock, oops were out of stock sorry. Well until you go back and look they are out of $15 pmags, but flush with $75 ones. Or cancelled orders for 5.56, so they could sell it for 3x the cost it was 5 min ago. So no its not unbelievable they would show one thing on their site, then a minute later it be different. Or stick you with overpriced nonrefundable ammo. It would have to be some really really really good 22 ammo to fetch that kind of price for 50 rds.

You really wonder how they stay in business. One would think if you tick off pretty much most of your customer base, and get such a reputation, that at some point you go under. I guess they sell enough overpriced stuff to the few gun owners who use them and the rest comes from people just buying camping gear.

myg30
12-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Back in the 90's, we did group buys for ammo from them. They did have good prices BACK THEN. With all this going on, I wont even click on their link.
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry some got burned by them. I hope the paybacks get them where it hurts most.

Mike

alamogunr
12-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I like Duluth Trading. I have bought several items of their clothing, some at regular price and quite a bit on sale. A couple of weeks ago they sent out an email for their boxer shorts, which I am partial to for $12, almost half price. I immediately got on their web site and ordered 4 pr(put them in my cart). I also ordered a flannel shirt and put it in the cart. By the time I went to the cart to check out, the price was back to regular price. I emptied the cart and closed the session. Went back to the email and confirmed the price and tried again. This time the $12 price stuck. I got my confirmation email showing the $12 price. I was a happy camper. I don't know what happened, but they corrected it without a complaint on my part.

I will continue to buy from them.

By the way, I have never bought anything from CTD.

northmn
12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Never ordered from CDT and now will not. I have been pretty careful with my on line stores. Use Midway USA and Grafs with Midway the most common. May not get the vest prices but cannot claim any problems either.

DP

kenyerian
12-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I like Mid South the best.

Jbiker
12-28-2013, 07:31 PM
I stopped buying / doing any business with them……..seem's INTEGRITY HAS BECOME PASSEY' IN THIS BUSINESS with them.