PDA

View Full Version : Shipping muzzleloaders

bhn22
12-18-2013, 11:06 AM
My understanding is that we can freely ship muzzleloaders in the U.S. I was thinking about selling mine, but am unsure of shipping regulations. Can anybody help me understand things a little better? Do they have to go UPS or can they be mailed?

GARD72977
12-18-2013, 11:11 AM
You can ship them any way you would like. I do think there are a select few places that have gun laws against it.

Beagle333
12-18-2013, 11:11 AM
They can go USPS. I have sent and received several bp revolvers, flat rate. Muzzleloader barrels from Ebay too.

bhn22
12-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Thank you!

oldracer
12-18-2013, 11:29 AM
UPS Ground since it is a firearm and they can even be sent to California! There are some local laws on the East coast that do not allow anything I imagine so I would check with the NRA site. If possible remove the barrel and pad everything very well with bubble wrap and I usually make a double wall box for safety.

Sergeant Earthworm
12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I've always used UPS or FEDEX just because whatever carrier you use they will want to see that it isn't loaded, and I don't want people in line at the USPS losing their minds and calling nine one one because they see a firearm. Check to make sure there are no laws against muzzleloaders on the receiving end before you ship.

The other issue I've encountered is that most times the person behind the counter doesn't know a Hawken from a howitzer and they don't have a clue as to whether the thing is loaded or not. Patiently and slowly I explain how to tell whether a muzzleloader is loaded, and that is usually enough.

waksupi
12-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I send and receive a couple each month via USPS with no problems. DO NOT tell them what is in the package. BATF said to never tell them you are shipping a firearm.

bob208
12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
ma. n.y n.j. require them to go to a f.f.l.. I have bought and sold muzzleloaders with out problems. just box them good.

NSB
12-18-2013, 12:29 PM
ma. n.y n.j. require them to go to a f.f.l.. I have bought and sold muzzleloaders with out problems. just box them good.
New York City maybe but not New York State. Not unless something changed just recently. I've had them shipped to my house with no problem.

RPRNY
12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
And not MA. Only NYC and Jersey.

GunSlingerNM
12-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I ship and receive ML Rifles and Revolvers. Usually use USPS. As mentioned earlier just package em up and don't go into details with clerk. It is perfectly legal and inexpensive. If shipping priority mail first $50 of insurance is included in postage price.

Boaz
12-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Shipped a 45 cal longrifle through the mail yesterday , going about 700 miles and the cost was $19.78 . No insurance , not regestered , had to fill out a short form , no problem .

Squeeze
12-19-2013, 10:16 PM
ive recieved a bunch through the mail. you dont have to tell them what it is. if they ask, just say sports equipment

pietro
12-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I've always used UPS or FEDEX just because whatever carrier you use they will want to see that it isn't loaded, and I don't want people in line at the USPS losing their minds and calling nine one one because they see a firearm. Check to make sure there are no laws against muzzleloaders on the receiving end before you ship.

The other issue I've encountered is that most times the person behind the counter doesn't know a Hawken from a howitzer and they don't have a clue as to whether the thing is loaded or not. Patiently and slowly I explain how to tell whether a muzzleloader is loaded, and that is usually enough.

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble, if it would only keep it's mouth SHUT................

FWIW, There's NO legal obligation to disclose the contents of any parcel to a USPS/Postal Clerk, beyond truthfully answering their mandatory 5 questions about mailability - "Are the contents flammable, perishable, expolsive, hazardous or fragile ?"

It's entire legal to SHIP a muzzleloader to anyone/anywhere in the US.

It may not be legal to RECEIVE one, depending on the recipient's location & circumstances......

It's incumbent on the receiving party, only, to comply with any federal and/or municipal laws pertaining at their location.

Black Powder Bill
12-21-2013, 01:51 PM

Rule #1. Don't tell the counter person what is in the package.
Rule #2. label accordingly but never NEVER label the package contains a firearm.
Rule #3. USPS does not ask if your package contains a firearm , so don't offer them an opportunity to not ship your order. Never ship from the UPS store those people are idiots and will refuse your shipment. FedEx does ask if it is a firearms, ammunition and other. I suppose for insurance purposes and it automatically flips on the adult signature require button.
Rule#4. I've never had to have the shipping agent inspect any firearms or muzzleloader I've shipped.
Rule#5. Several areas of the U.S. do not allow felons to possess a ML and NYC is so screwed up you may need a permit just to own one.
Rule#6. In New Yorkisstan if you have the components to fire a ML Pistol or revolver it must be on your permit.
Rule#7 Never ship cartridges with a firearm.

A little common sense goes a long way in shipping. Remember the NUNYA rule. It's NUNYA's business as long as it meets the shipping vendors requirements & not the geek behind the counter.

Geraldo
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Rule #1. Don't tell the counter person what is in the package.

Better yet, print the label at home and either hand it to your mailman or drop it at the PO.

Blue Steel
12-21-2013, 03:27 PM
This is my first official post on this forum (I've been a lurker for a number of years). I was researching shipping when I came across this thread. If you will, let me relate an incident that has troubled me for a couple of months now. I had a Surefire flashflight that I was shipping back for service. I happen to live close to a UPS STORE. I thought stupidly that this was the same as UPS. Well in I walk with the package I had put together and labeled. Well the guy at the counter wanted to know what was in it. I told him. Then he tells me that I have to give him all sorts of info. My home address, phone, what kindof work I do, etc etc...then he says he is going to open the package and inspect the contents ! At that I kindof blewup on him. Call me paranoid. But this was a genuine CRAZY situation. I have never in my life had to go thru that to mail a dang package. I literally walked across the street to a post office, paid them 6 bucks and off it went. Personally I would never do business with UPS STORE again. I also live 5 minutes from a real UPS shipping terminal. I've never had any problem there also. So its not UPS but this outfit. Be careful...

NSB
12-21-2013, 04:55 PM
This is my first official post on this forum (I've been a lurker for a number of years). I was researching shipping when I came across this thread. If you will, let me relate an incident that has troubled me for a couple of months now. I had a Surefire flashflight that I was shipping back for service. I happen to live close to a UPS STORE. I thought stupidly that this was the same as UPS. Well in I walk with the package I had put together and labeled. Well the guy at the counter wanted to know what was in it. I told him. Then he tells me that I have to give him all sorts of info. My home address, phone, what kindof work I do, etc etc...then he says he is going to open the package and inspect the contents ! At that I kindof blewup on him. Call me paranoid. But this was a genuine CRAZY situation. I have never in my life had to go thru that to mail a dang package. I literally walked across the street to a post office, paid them 6 bucks and off it went. Personally I would never do business with UPS STORE again. I also live 5 minutes from a real UPS shipping terminal. I've never had any problem there also. So its not UPS but this outfit. Be careful...
The problem with the UPS store is that they make a LOT of money packaging stuff up for you. They like to tell you that if you do it and it gets damaged, they might not pay for the damage. If they do it, they will. They claim to be experts and tell you that they have all the right stuff to do it the correct way. BS on a big scale! I always tell them I'll take my chances and just ship it the way I brought it in. It's just a sales gimmick for them to make money. They don't have anything special, just bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, boxes, etc. just like you can use. They have nothing to do with UPS other than using the name on the store front. They are independantly owned stores with a franchise to use the UPS name out front. Don't get mad, tell them to just ship it the way you brought it in. BTW, I've never had them ask what kind of work I do. You may have stretched that part a little but the rest was pretty close. USPS is cheaper but no one seems to want to ship packages with them. There, you have to ask to ship the cheapest way possible and you'd be surprised on how many options there are to ship a box.