PDA

View Full Version : Does bullet design dictate lube method?

igolfat8
12-18-2013, 10:19 AM
If I want to tumble lube does the bullet design dictate which lube method I use? I would rather tumble lube as compared to sizer lube. For example can a H&G 68 style 45 ACP SWC be tumble lubed since it only has one large groove for lube as compared to another boolit design that has lots of micro grooves?.

hermans
12-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I am sure the real experts will reply to you soon on this one, but for me the H&G 68 needs to be lube sized.

Maven
12-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Golfer guy, It would be an interesting experiment if you sized those SWC's first and then lubed them conventionally v. tumble lubing. I.e., change only the lube method and, unfortunately the lube, unless you use the NRA 50/50 in the lube sizer. Btw, I've tried both methods in my .30-06 and can't see a difference in accuracy or bore condition, at least at velocities up to 1,800fps.

357maximum
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Does bullet design dictate lube method?
Simple answer is NO.....it works just as poorly on traditional as well as the lee speedbump boolits if you want more than a pack of firecrackers.

Patience level, commitment and finances are what normally dictate lube method. Aside from one anomoly with the 223tumblelubes almost always comes up lacking on anything doing more than about 1600fps. The 45/45/10 is a step up from LLA, but it is still not what real lubrisizing with a good full waxbased loobgroove will get ya.

I went from panlubing to diplubing back to panlubing then to tumblelubing and then back to panlubing,,,,and then to the lyman in and out method and I have finally found performance as well as utopian like happiness with the STAR sizer. All that being said I still use tumblelube LLA with a light coating of MotorMica for my 30/30 and 38spcl soft lead sub sonic "plinkers".

None of this matters alot with the 45ACP, but sooner or later you'll wanna load/shoot something faster with your little lead babies.

***the proceding was one man's opinion and some here will certainly disagree with it ****

btroj
12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
An HG 68 will tumble lube just fine. I have done this many times, no issues at all

I have shot many tumble lube bullets I sizes and lubed in a tradition sizer. No problems.

My suggestion- try it and see how it works.

DeanWinchester
12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Well, I'll disagree just a tad, try pan lubing a bevel base. That might get messy.

Big Dangle
12-19-2013, 03:05 PM
I've used pan lube and alox with SWC and round nose with the double ringed Lee round nose 45 acp. Both fired well and didn't lead my PT 145 or my magnum research 1911. Only difference was the pan lube lead put serious lube smudges on the muzzle of the Taurus but it is just a 3 inch barrel.

John Boy
12-19-2013, 05:31 PM
For example can a H&G 68 style 45 ACP SWC be tumble lubed since it only has one large groove for lube as compared to another boolit design that has lots of micro grooves?. igolf, that's the only way I lube my H&G 68's - Liquid Alox cut with PURE mineral spirits. No leading or lube starvation in my 1911.
Cookie sheet covered with wax paper - then I warm the bullets with a hair dry. They dry much faster

44man
12-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Boolit lube tests has shown even boolit design might need a different lube. Even TL Lee boolits will shoot tiny groups with a good lube like Felix.
ALOX, never in my book.

myg30
12-21-2013, 01:02 PM
In pistol I've had good results with both tl and seizer lube. If your not pushing max loads in some pistols with either lube works well with no leading if boolit size is correct.
With a short bbl 45 at less than max loads TL has worked with both boolit types with good results. My idea of good may vary from a bench shooters good results. The best thing is to try it and see if it works for you ! Nothing but time to loose here and the results may pay out for you later.
The best thing about this forum is all the guys that try new ideas and re try old ideas maybe with a slight change, make it work some times and we all learn from it.
I hope " Hey Y'all watch this " don't apply here !! Really ! Keep us posted of your findings.

Good shooting, Merry Christmas

Mike