PDA

View Full Version : 380 case stuck in 9mm sizing die disaster

robpete
12-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I was cruising along loading 9mm's on my Dillon....then it happened. A 380 case got stuck in my RCBS carbide sizer die. I attempted to pull it with two pair of vice-grips(100% effective in the past). This ended up in only breaking down the rim. My next thought was to remove the decapper pin and pound the case out with a nail, but things got worse. I was turning the pin with a slotted screw driver and was suddenly met with much resistance. I turned harder and the die pushed pack and broke the tip of my cheapie Stanley screw driver. I then armed myself with a nice Klein. This attempt resulted in the end of the pin twisting and shattering. With the pin busted, and having a spare, I locked on the vice-grips and twisted. The pin sheared completely off. Now I have a die with a 380 case lodged in one end and half a decapper pin stuck in the other.

Thoughts?

Bzcraig
12-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Buy a new die?

robpete
12-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Buy a new die?

Lol. Kind of where I'm at. I was just pricing individual dies. They're nearly as much as a complete set. I'm going to call RCBS in the a.m. and see if they can do anything.

gmsharps
12-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Without seeing it I would think a stuck case remover tool would work. They are made by RCBS. I use them quite often when I have a bad day and rip the rim off a 223 case.

gmsharps

AlaskanGuy
12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Wow.... Sounds like something i would do. Them 380's are pretty close to the same size.....

To keep from doing something like this, i decap with the standard decapping die... That way i hopefully notice that the shell diddnt quite fit properly in the shell plate... But i am sure that with my personal relationship with Murphy and his laws, it is bound to happen.

Time for a new die...

ReloaderFred
12-18-2013, 04:01 AM
If I had the die in hand, I could have the case out of there in about 3 minutes. It involves drilling the primer pocket and threading the hole for a bolt. Then a nut is placed against the bottom of the die that is larger than the stuck case, and will allow the case to slip through it, while pushing against the die base. A washer larger than the nut is put on the bolt, and the bolt is screwed into the threaded hole in the base of the case until the head and washer contact the nut on the base of the die. As pressure is applied to the nut, the stuck case is pulled from the die. It actually takes about as long to do it as it did for me to type the instructions.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

GRUMPA
12-18-2013, 06:41 AM
^^^^^^^ That's exactly how I remove stuck cases to a "T". I have everything I need in a box just in case I need it. It's a real PITA when it happens but having everything I need within arms reach is a real plus.

6bg6ga
12-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Should have used a punch after removing the decapping pin. Purchase some hardened punches to have on hand.

robpete
12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
If I had the die in hand, I could have the case out of there in about 3 minutes. It involves drilling the primer pocket and threading the hole for a bolt. Then a nut is placed against the bottom of the die that is larger than the stuck case, and will allow the case to slip through it, while pushing against the die base. A washer larger than the nut is put on the bolt, and the bolt is screwed into the threaded hole in the base of the case until the head and washer contact the nut on the base of the die. As pressure is applied to the nut, the stuck case is pulled from the die. It actually takes about as long to do it as it did for me to type the instructions.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

That sounds like it would be very effective. Unfortunately, the pin is in the primer pocket. I'll definitely remember this in future. Thanks

nhrifle
12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe try putting it in the freezer for awhile?

dudel
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
That sounds like it would be very effective. Unfortunately, the pin is in the primer pocket. I'll definitely remember this in future. Thanks

But it won't be once the new hole is drilled and tapped.

Don

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Might want to try some penetrating oil before the next attempted evolution. It sure can't do anything but help.

Idz
12-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Deep freeze is best method I found. The brass shrinks a lot more than the steel so it pops right out. If that doesn't work you can reach inside with a thin hacksaw blade and saw through the case. You're not going to hurt the carbide insert with a saw blade.

Doc_Stihl
12-18-2013, 12:04 PM
A stuck case is a 5 minute side trip when you have the correct kit to remove it. Drill It - Tap it - Pull It. 0 Damage to the die and you don't have to get all MacGyver on it.

ReloaderFred
12-18-2013, 12:06 PM
If you can't remove the decapping stem, then back it out as far as it will go to give you room to drill the hole and thread it. Just be sure to lube the tap, or it will bind in the brass and possibly break. Brass grabs steel, as you've found out, so lube is a necessity when threading it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

robpete
12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
The pin is backed out as far as it will go. That's why it sheared....i used too much elbow grease. I'm going to tap the brass the best that i can. I'll freeze before pulling. After that, I'll drill the remains of the pin out and clean the threads in the die.

beex215
12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
i put one of my dies on the stove to heat up. it turned black but i still can size and deprime.

robpete
12-18-2013, 11:54 PM
A little update: I drilled and tapped the primer pocket, then tossed the die in the freezer for a few hours. When I finally got to it, the case came out in under five seconds. Thanks for all of the help guys!

ReloaderFred
12-19-2013, 01:50 AM
You're welcome. Any day you learn something useful is a good day.

Fred

Blammer
12-19-2013, 08:57 AM
around here this time of year I'd have just thrown it outside! Well not too far outside that I couldn't find it again....
freezing don't you know about now...

Blammer
12-19-2013, 08:57 AM
around here this time of year I'd have just thrown it outside! Well not too far outside that I couldn't find it again....

Blammer
12-19-2013, 08:58 AM

TNsailorman
12-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I love this site. There is a lot of knowledge but it also helps me remember some of the screw-ups I have had over the years. Funny and good memories now but not so much so when they happened. The first time I stuck a case(not enough case lube), I took my die to the local gunsmith. He smiled, took the case and about 5 minutes later had it ready to roll. He held it up to me and grinned and said; "no charge", now go buy yourself a RCBS stuck case remover because it just might happen again sometime and I'll have to charge you the next time. I ordered the RCBS kit as soon as I got home. I have not used it but one time since I bought it many years ago and that was to remove a stuck case for a friend who had a 22-250 case stuck in his die.

John Boy
12-20-2013, 01:05 PM
When I finally got to it, the case came out in under five seconds.
If it happens again - squirt some Kroil in the die before it goes in the freezer

trapper9260
12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
I got a case stuck of a 308 in a die and did a job on the rim and could not do anything took it to the gunsmith and he said that is the hardest one he have ever to deal with and could not get it out he needed to do something else to get it out< I am waiten for him to let me know that he got it out.It was the first time i ever got one stuck that I can not get out at all for all the years i been at this.After reading this I will try what is said the next time to see if i can get it out .thanks for the info.

DRNurse1
12-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Deep freeze is best method I found. The brass shrinks a lot more than the steel so it pops right out....

LOL--Google 'Freeze the balls off a brass monkey' to learn, Grasshopper. USN-USNR SKC-HM1 Retired

Jbiker
12-27-2013, 08:26 PM
ACTUALLY , PURCHASE SOME BRASS PUNCHES !!HARDENED STEEL PUNCHES WILL REALLY MESS UP THE DIE … damn caps key and fat fingers ,,,,,I've removed stuck cases both way's..usually depends on what caliber is stuck .. I've also had to drill out the base of the cases and then use dental picks to score the remaining case wall to weaken it and fold it in on itself with brass punch sharpened to a point,double angle diamond point.

all in all it's easier to clean out surplus case lube , than stuck cases !!!!!

rockshooter
12-28-2013, 10:48 PM
I can't figure how you did that- a .380 case is quite a bit smaller than a 9mm case.
Loren

David2011
12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
I understand how it could be done. When I shot several hundred to a few thousand rounds per month I've put countless .45 GAP cartridges in my 550b. Of course, when the large primer hits the small pocket the press comes to an uneventful but screeching halt. Never popped a primer that way. Working by touch rather than visually inspecting every cartridge before putting it in the press, it's an easy mistake to make when the primary objective is to feel a round object, put the case head down and slip it into the shell holder. The diameter of the .380 isn't THAT much smaller than the 9mm.

David

jmorris
12-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Lee dies have always been pretty easy to remove stuck cases but Dillon rifle dies are the best I have ever seen.

skeet028
12-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Good grief Blammer..It don't get that cold in NC do it? First weekend of Dec it was 32 below here one morning. I even got a little frostbite on my fangers. Ol Diesel truck quit..didn't put nuff jell juice in it I guess. Glad y'all got the case out. I do a few gun shows every year. I put a sign on my table and remove stuck cases 5 bucks each. I also sell quite a few stuck case removers. On one weekend I removed 17 stuck cases and then sold the stuck case remover I was using for 15 bucks.more than 9 out of 10 are rifle cases. Usually military 308 30-06