PDA

View Full Version : Old dipper...

weakhand luke
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I found an old dipper on eBay. I thought it was an Ideal/Lyman but when it arrived I see that it was made by the Lutz File and Tool Co. It is very similar to the Lyman dipper, except that the bowl is more oblong shaped.

I wonder if anyone knows the vintage of this dipper?

Buckshot
11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
...............Personally I do not, Floodgate would be 'Da Man' to ask. BTW, welcome to the board! In addition to the more well known companies over the years that have come and gone, there were also some smaller regional companies or individuals that produced stuff for a time.

................Buckshot

floodgate
11-26-2007, 02:21 PM
weakhand luke:

Sorry, 'fraid I can't help on this one. If you'll post a photo and description, I can cut-and-paste it over to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors site <www.antiquereloadingtools.org>, or you can join up and post it yourself there. A lot of knowledgeable folks there, but the site is sorta slow.

floodgate

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/dip1.jpg

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/dip2.jpg

Maven
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Looks like the standard issue Ideal/Lyman that I use.

montana_charlie
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Where does it say Lutz?
CM

454PB
11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, looks like standard Lyman to me. Well, mine is a little different.....I removed the handle and brazed it on the other side because I'm a lefty.

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Stamped in the metal on the handle where it meets the wood. "Lutz File and Tool Co", then, in the second line, "Cinti, O"

A search on Lutz File and Tool links you to Monkey Glue. (?)

fourarmed
11-29-2007, 06:52 PM
It is likely that the original handle was broken or lost, and replaced by a file handle.

Typecaster
11-29-2007, 06:55 PM
OK 454PB, now you've got me a-thinkin'. I'm a lefty too, but figured years ago it's easier to pretend to be handicapped and cast right-handed. I never really gave much thought to altering the tools, but that concept does make me chuckle. I used to use left-handed scissors in the studio and at the magazine office...mostly because they would drive my right-handed employees nuts when they tried to use 'em.

How far do you take this? Reversing the hinge pin on the mould and making a custom sprue plate so you can tap it from the left? Otherwise you're either switching hands to open the SP or a real contortionist to rotate the mould to open the SP with your left hand.

I just gave in to the dark side and cast right-handed. I probably couldn't hit a nail smaller than a railroad spike with a hammer in my right hand, but I can tap the SP with a leather mallet.

I'll bet right-handed casters never thought about this...

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
It is likely that the original handle was broken or lost, and replaced by a file handle.

Bingo! I'll bet you are correct. Never entered my mind...

mazo kid
11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
454PB, I did the same thing with my Lyman dipper around 1976 or so, as I'm a lefty too. Brazed a nut on the opposite side so it can be used either hand

454PB
11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
I know some lefties that can adapt easily, but I can't. I play electric bass in a band and that is one thing I can do right handed. I've known many lefties that play guitar left handed and strung backwards, it is comical to watch.

I have to ask.....

I hold my moulds in my left hand to fill, then swap it to my right hand to open the sprue and dump the boolits. Is that left handed or right handed?

I do it that way because I too can't hit anything smaller than a railroad spike with a hammer in my right hand.

One of my co-workers was badly burned while an electrical lineman and lost his right thumb. He could drive a 16 penny nail using his right hand. Try that sometime without using your thumb!

montana_charlie
11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Bingo! I'll bet you are correct. Never entered my mind...
That is why I asked the question, after seeing your picture.

A couple of years ago, a lady on eBay had a Lyman look-a-like that she described as 'vintage', 'rare, and 'one-of-a-kind'. She was convinced hers was a true collector's piece because it was labeled Nicholson File Company.

She said it must be an ancient dipper because items of that sort are not even available from Nicholson, any more.

When I asked her where the Nicholson name appeared, she admitted it was on the wooden handle.

I told her that Nicholson had never made anything but machine-cut files since the 1800's...and I was surprised they even took time out to make wooden handles.
CM