PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M95 en bloc clip source?

Tonto
12-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Just got one from SOG as part of their 12 days of Christmas sale, $89.99...great shape, now to find ammo and the clips...any suggestions? Thanks.....

aspangler
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Sarco has the clips. $10 plus shipping. Ammo is a ?

Doc_Stihl
12-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Gun shows is the best source I've found. Bought 4 for $5 last show. Get to know what the ammo looks like. I've bought a few 10 packs of ammo with the ammo inside for $10 too. $5 a clip for good condition and you can pull the bullet, throw the powder out and load a plinker once....

oscarflytyer
12-17-2013, 11:28 PM
I bought 5 boxes of Prvi ammo. hen plan to reload. Can get the 205 bullets, or a Lee mold. And also 205 gr fmj bullets are now available. Graf, iirc.

MtGun44
12-18-2013, 01:58 AM
All mine came on ammo, original WW2 Nazi marked.

Bill

Beekeeper
12-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I have several and shoot them once ina a blue moon.
I load all my ammo for them using the .338 old feller frankinstein boolit
I think there is a group buy on it going on now.
Clips I bought several years ago from "Old Western Scrounger" so am not sure they have them anymore but it is worth an e-mail to find out.
I customeized one I got that had no stock. I posted about it recently in a post called "a special thank you"in our town.
Don't have the load data at hand but if interested will look it up and post it.

beekeeper

KCSO
12-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a couple of them at $5 each.

hb9z
12-23-2013, 12:25 PM
try liberty collectors

Ragnarok
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I bought a bunch of surplus ammo in clips to get the clips...Hornady makes softpoint ammo for these

NuJudge
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
I strongly suggest hand loading. The Military surplus has a really heavy bullet, which in a light carbine such as I believe you have, is going to really beat you up. Get a 'sissy pad' for your shoulder if you insist on shooting the GI ammo.

I would suggest you get Prvi brass from Graf & Son. There is a forum here where you can ask members for a few cast bullets of designs you want to try. You will probably find the groove diameter is larger than what it is supposed to be: .328". I use the Lee bullet and tumble lube it. The throat ahead of the chamber will probably also be very large.

Look for the ammo at gun shows, to find the Chargers ("stripper clips"). Once upon a time I would see both Bulgarian and Nazi/Austrian, but it has been a long time since I saw any of the former.

farmallcrew
12-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Embloc clips- ebay, gun broker, collector gun websites, gun shows. I got 20 Nazi marked clips off ebay for less than 4.00 a piece shipped(lots of people sleeping on that sale)

Ammo- gunbroker, gun shows, collector gun web forums, roll your own. I beleive its Lee that has a special run of 8x56r dies every so often, so they are are little more pricey. I think Hornady might make some ammo for this but, it would come at a pretty penny.

Most guys see old ammo, and they immediately assume its gold. or for that 1 World's Rarest Rifle. Just make good judgement when getting these items.

relicshunter
12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Gun shows is the best source I've found. Bought 4 for $5 last show. Get to know what the ammo looks like. I've bought a few 10 packs of ammo with the ammo inside for $10 too. $5 a clip for good condition and you can pull the bullet, throw the powder out and load a plinker once....
I am curious why pull the bullet and reload the old ammo? It's the primmer that is corrosive.
When I first got my M95 the only ammo was , the old stuff. Now Hornady and Prvi make it. It's still a hefty load on a short gun so it'll hurt. I was going to stalk pigs with it, but decided to just stick with my K31, less meat damage (maybe)
I agree reloading for it would be preferred.

jonk
12-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I have both the nazi surplus and some bulgarian surplus from the 30s. Neither shot very well, though both were sure fire. Once in a blue moon I will still fire off some of them, but am mainly sitting on the nazi stuff as it is in original boxes and clips and has tripled in value since I got it.

I agree, slug your bore. I've had 3 of these and the best one was .332", the others .333 and .336. The last one I couldn't open the brass enough to accept such a large bullet due to chamber size, I ended up selling it; the other 2 can be handled easily enough if you beagle the Lee mold, or get a .338 and size down, or go in on a group buy or custom mold. Or use j word bullets; but with that much over size bore, even a j word is likely to give grief.