PDA

View Full Version : Modify shellholder to fit Spartan Press?

hc18flyer
12-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I bought an old Lyman Spartan press and need an adapter or different shellholders? Can I modify my Hornady and RCBS shellholders to fit? Do new Lyman shellholders fit the old Spartan? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

44Vaquero
12-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Lyman sells the adaptor it called a J to X adaptor.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/758282/lyman-shellholder-adapter-j-type-shellholder-ram-to-x-type-ram-conversion

Leslie Sapp
12-17-2013, 10:05 PM
My regular Lyman shell holders fit in my Spartan.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 10:24 PM
My shell holders all work in the spartan just fine.

BruceB
12-17-2013, 10:25 PM
The first press I owned was a Lyman Spartan back in '66.

It used the "normal" universal type shellholder that we use today.

If your press needs a different type of shellholder, it likely is NOT a Spartan.

The Lyman adapter mentioned will convert an All-American (turret) or the True-Line Junior press to use the present-day shellholders. I am not sure which sort of shellholder was used in the old "Comet" press, but it was not widely distributed and is relatively uncommon today.... it COULD be another "J"-shellholder press.

44Vaquero
12-17-2013, 11:49 PM
The Comet was a J-type press. I think variants of the Spartan may exist in both J and X types. Pressman would be the one to ask.

Pressman
12-18-2013, 09:05 PM
As far as I know there are no Spartan variants that use the J shellholder. The Comet is clearly marked as such. I think he has a Spartan and was questioning if he needs an adapter. Which would be no.
Ken