PDA

View Full Version : I've walked into the 1911 obsession this week

Animal
12-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I picked up a new RIA GI 1911 .45acp from my FFL recently. I've only fooled with wheel guns up to this point. I've envied the specs of the .45acp for a long time and now I have it.

I stripped her down, bathed her and put fresh lube in all the right spots. I wasn't sure how well she'd perform because I got her real cheap. I put 5 rounds down range and had much better grouping than I had expected. I stripped her down again, cleaned the old lube off and relubed. I continued doing this every 5 rounds till I got to 30. After the 30th round there were no more loose metal flakes (not that there were many to start with). I then finished off the last 20 of the 50 round box. I had zero failures of any kind. The gun fired smoother than any other gun I remember firing.

I stripped her back down for a good cleaning. I mulled over load data. I got a knot in my stomach knowing that the boolit mold I wanted wouldn't be hear till my wife handed it to me from under the Christmas tree.

I hightailed it to my LGS, found a 100rnd box of Hornaday XTPs and got to work! I worked up some Red Dot loads. I wasn't sure what I would use them for... battle or regular SD...? Never know when a battle will erupt or someone will try to steal my wallet... so I figured I'd just load and see what I think when I'm done.

I put 10 more rounds of factory ball ammo down range this morning and then tested out my XTP handloads. Accuracy was GREAT and the recoil was SMOOTH. I settled on 5.2 grains of Red Dot, came home and loaded 20 more.

I went to my range in the front yard, fired a round through 4 1/2 in thick wet phone book which was wrapped in one layer of old blue jean. The bullet entered, exited and penetrated two one gallon jugs directly behind it. Sheeeesh! That is a lot more penetration than I wanted for a regular SD load... hmmm maybe doomsday battle load will fill this rounds nitch.

So anyway, conclusion, this gun has by far exceeded my expectations! The 1911 platform is sooo much more smooth than I was expecting. The recoil is almost an afterthought and the accuracy is far better than what I've had with my other handguns when they were new to me. I'm just rambling now...

Thanks to the guys on this forum that suggested that I look into RIA 1911 for my .45acp cast lead interest.

scrappletaco
12-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Congrats I also am a fan of armscor gun(mines badged high standard rather than ria).

I would humbly suggest getting a slightly heavier recoil spring than factory. Such as a 16# to 18# spring since the have a tendancy to come with light springs. If you don't have any issues great... I had problems with ftf's cause of a weak spring so I figured id shoot you a heads up

pal82
12-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Gotta love the 1911. You better start stocking up on primers and powder. Nothing better than 500 rounds of 45acp on a warm summer day.

scrappletaco
12-18-2013, 12:53 AM
On another note 1911s are addictive. My poor gi is going to be slowly rebuilt because I just have to tinker hahaha

Enjoy the disease since it will not be your last 1911

Char-Gar
12-18-2013, 08:06 AM
I bought my first "45 Automatic" in 1961 and have not been without one or more since that time. Welcome to the hurd.

w5pv
12-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Own two and haven't wore either one out yet

bobthenailer
12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Not only that ! if you take good care of them and show them a little love, after a few years they start breeding in the gun safe. I currently have a large family living in my gun safe .

jakec
12-18-2013, 08:38 AM
welcome to the club.

c1skout
12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Way to go, now just stay away from the 38 super. Don't even look for info on them.

45fan
12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Welcome Animal to the addiction that is the 1911. I have a RIA officers model that I love and is my daily carry. I heard some guys that have never been happy with the officers model said they "issues" but I have never had any issue with mine. It feeds anything but the big "ashtray" type hollow points. Its main diet however is a 200 gr FRN boolit cast from SOWW over 5.5 gr of HP-38. I also have a Taurus 1911 gov model that I carry if I am out somewhere that I know I wont be sitting down. Appendix carry with a 5 inch barrel can be a little uncomfortable if seated for a long period of time. Enjoy, this weapon platform hasnt been around for over a hundred years by accident, in my opinion it is the best!

Animal
12-18-2013, 11:38 AM
I bought my first "45 Automatic" in 1961 and have not been without one or more since that time. Welcome to the hurd.

Interesting, I took you for a strick 6 gunner. Good to know:drinks:

Animal
12-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Not only that ! if you take good care of them and show them a little love, after a few years they start breeding in the gun safe. I currently have a large family living in my gun safe .

Interesting... I may have to pick up a partner for the one I have now just to expedite the process. :razz:

shooter2
12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
I have three at the moment. One 1911 mfg in 1916 and saw service in WWI and WWII. I also have two Kimbers. They all shoot great with the right loads. The guy was a genius when it came to firearms design.

scattershot
12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I have two of the Rocks now, and really like them. My favorite load is 4.0 Red Dot with a 200 grain SWC. This is the most accurate load I have fired to date. I also like the 200 grain plated SWC over 6 grains of 231, for just under 1000 fps.

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I am thankful to an old friend who introduced me the 1911 after my first experience with a Colt that had been "customized" and couldn't hit a drier door at 30ft.

gray wolf
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Good luck with the new piece, enjoy it.

clownbear69
12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Stick away from the 10mm they will keep you poor

kens
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I also have 1911 and cast for it. Funny to me, but when I am casting the 6 cavity mold, every time I drop bool it's, I think in terms of that being a magazine of boolits.

osteodoc08
12-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Dollar for dollar, the RIA guns can't be beat for what they are.

I love me some 200gr SWC over a mild to moderate dose of 231 for range use.

Hornady XTPs are personally my favorite HP for handguns.

dragon813gt
12-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I almost pulled the trigger, pun intended, on one of those GI models a few weeks ago. My R1 seems to be lonely as the only large caliber pistol I own. Now I'm going to have to go put one in the cart and try not to but it ;)

pmer
12-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I am glad to see a 1911 thread! So lets say I'd like to get some sights for my Taurus PT1911. Take off the Heinie sights for something more precise for target shooting. Is there a good set of sights I should try?

Is there a way to adjust where the empty brass goes on a 1911? Mine likes to fling empties over about a 3 parking space area.

How tough is it to convert one to 10 MM or 38 Super? It has a Wilson barrel in it now and likes the 200 grain SWCs.

dragon813gt
12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Is there a way to adjust where the empty brass goes on a 1911? Mine likes to fling empties over about a 3 parking space area.

Mine did that w/ factory ammo. W/ handloads that are just above cycling the action they drop in a neat pile about 2' away.

Animal
12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I almost pulled the trigger, pun intended, on one of those GI models a few weeks ago. My R1 seems to be lonely as the only large caliber pistol I own. Now I'm going to have to go put one in the cart and try not to but it ;)

lol I'm pretty sure I said the same thing... now I've got almost 200 rounds through it :Fire:

Animal
12-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Hornady XTPs are personally my favorite HP for handguns.[/QUOTE]

I just finished testing some loads today with 230XTP. I charged Hodgdon Clays 3.7 to 4.0. I was looking for a mild defense load. I got a 1 in group at 7 yards (standing). I know this isn't spectacular to most folks here, but for me that is a very solid group. I'm real pleased with how the gun fires and feels. Its almost like cheating :D

seagiant
12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Hi,
Well...99% of the new "wonder guns" are still based on what??? Yea, John M. Browning's 1911! Go figure!

waco
12-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Yup! Love my 1911

Mine is a 5" Kimber Custom Classic I bought around '98 I think.....:-D

pmer
12-20-2013, 01:25 AM
So how about the 1911s that have an external ejector. Are they faux 1911?

Oops I meant external extractor.

philthephlier
12-20-2013, 06:21 PM
My SA GI Model has Cylinder & Slide tactical Fire Control, a tightened slide, and a Kart easy fit barrel. I am always amazed at the accuracy. My friends $4000 race gun doesn't shoot any better. High on my list of enjoyable guns to shoot.

seagiant
12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi,
My thoughts on the external extractor is I've never had to much problem with it. Using a coil spring if the spring gets weak you just change it out! The internal I would rate as good,as long as it is made of QUALITY STEEL and is polished and tuned CORRECTLY!

I enjoy every firearm made by JMB including the A5 shotgun. They are all made super strong and the US Armed Forces still use the M2 BMG! That's only because they have found nothing better in almost 100 years!

kens
12-22-2013, 09:46 AM
I would like to know why the 1911's in the gun store are all priced well above the Glocks.
The Colt Patent on that ran out decades ago, and today there are more copies of that than ever.

If mass quantities lowers market price, then that should be a cheap gun.

The Glock patent is still active, and it is priced lower than the 1911s.
Why is that?

milltownhunter
12-22-2013, 10:17 AM
1911 great guns I have 5 colt gold cups and 2 compact all shoot great with 9.0 gr of blue dot with ether 230 gr cast or hollow point can not go wrong with a 1911 enjoy lots of fun

waksupi
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I would like to know why the 1911's in the gun store are all priced well above the Glocks.
The Colt Patent on that ran out decades ago, and today there are more copies of that than ever.

Why is that?

Because the 1911 is a better gun.

khmer6
12-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I myself didn't like the 1911 platform at all for a long time. Finally fell for it and picked myself up a 38 super in satin nickel for 300 new. It soon got out of control and ended up with about 5 before the year ended.
Be careful of this addiction :beer:

Animal
12-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I myself didn't like the 1911 platform at all for a long time. Finally fell for it and picked myself up a 38 super in satin nickel for 300 new. It soon got out of control and ended up with about 5 before the year ended.
Be careful of this addiction :beer:

Khmer6, I'd be afraid to buy a new one again. I am just not convinced I'll be lucky enough to get the same accuracy. I think the one I have now is a fluke. Guns that cost 330 bucks ain't supposed to be accurate... Not sure how I managed to get lucky. If there is a bad one in a lot of 5000, I always end up getting the bad one.

Dale53
12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
I have had 1911'a for many, many years. My "glory" years with "Ol' Slabside" were my IPSC years in the late seventies and early eighties. I put 75,000 rounds of full charge reloads through my 1911 in five years. It and a companion "back up" were built up by a wonderful local gunsmith (ex-Marine Gunnery Sgt. and smith to McMillan when the Marines "owned" Camp Perry). I never had to use the back up and recently gifted it to my son-in-law. Both guns will shoot well under 1" at 25 yards and are EXTREMELY reliable.

Interesting story: My daughter, son-in-law and grand children live in SLC, UT. This fall, the grandson (age six) asked his dad to go Primitive Camping with him (including building and staying in a rough country "lean-to" in Bear Country. The son-in-law agreed to do so. However, as preparations began the grandson expressed his concern about the wild country bears. He asked his dad to bring the .45 for defense (didn't back down, but felt better if Dad had the .45 along). Now, that little man is going to grow up to be a REAL man, in my estimation. He already knows the value of a good 1911!!:drinks:

I am blessed!
Dale53

btroj
12-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Dale, someone is raising that kid right. Congrats to your daughter and son in law.

Why is a 1911 more than a Glock? Because they are worth it.

bhn22
12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Why is that?

Because 1911s are worth it.

bhn22
12-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I am glad to see a 1911 thread! So lets say I'd like to get some sights for my Taurus PT1911. Take off the Heinie sights for something more precise for target shooting. Is there a good set of sights I should try?

How tough is it to convert one to 10 MM or 38 Super? It has a Wilson barrel in it now and likes the 200 grain SWCs.

There are a lot of suitable target sights. However, you may have to send your slide out to be machined to accept them. Unless the rear sights are "buried" they protrude too high above the top of the slide:91312
There is no "adjustment" for ejection. Ejection is determined by ejector angle, the weight of the recoil spring, and extractor tension in varying degrees.

As far as caliber conversions go, if you're starting with a 45 ACP gun, buy another gun. The 38 Super, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm all use different frames and slides. You may as well just buy whatever pleases you. 10mm requires special attention in key areas. Personally, I don't like the idea of 100 in 1911s, I feel the caliber is too hard on them. Others will be by shortly to dispute this conclusion.

gray wolf
12-22-2013, 08:04 PM
There is no "adjustment" for ejection. Ejection is determined by ejector angle, the weight of the recoil spring, and extractor tension in varying degrees.
Well that's kinda true, if all else fails, check to see if you have an extended ejector, ( longer than a standard one )
if so your case hits it sooner and the ejection force is increased. a shorter one may retard it a little. I wouldn't over spring the pistol to try and solve the problem. if you mess with the face of the ejector I would go very slow, a little goes a long way. same goes for tension on the extractor.

So how about the 1911s that have an external ejector. Are they faux 1911?

Oops I meant external extractor.
Well you could say that, or just think of it as just a not 1911 patter pistol, then again not to many are now a day's.

So lets say I'd like to get some sights for my Taurus PT1911. Take off the Heinie sights for something more precise for target shooting. Is there a good set of sights I should try?
Your pistol has what is referred to as a heine cut for the sights. Different manufactures use a dove tail cut that is proprietory to there sights. I believe you can get some simple adjustable sights that will fit the cut you have, it may or may not need a front also. It can get quite costly to send a slide out and have it milled for a different sight cut.
Do a search for aristocrat 1911 sight rib $$ about 200 and can be installed by any competent machinist.

daniel lawecki
12-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Can't go wrong with a 1911 everyone should have one. I have a Springfield SS 1911a1 and a Colt they see plenty of cast swc. Nice score and Merry Christmas.

pmer
12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys for all the tips. I remember getting a box of H&G 68s from gray wolf a couple years back. He offered them for a benefit auction. It was nice to get them and since then I got the Redding copy.

I emailed Heinie and they just have the dot style sights for the PT1911.

I'm in no hurry to change it from 45 acp. It is such a good cartridge anyway. But it's nice learning what you guys think.

Moonie
12-23-2013, 01:29 AM
pmer, I have these on my PT1911:

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/handgun-sights/taurus/tr2109.html

With the factory sights it shot low and left. With these they shoot perfect.

kens
12-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I have 1911, but I wonder about .38 Super.
Heard a lot about 38super but it isn't as popular as 9mm or 45acp.
Can anyone comment on a 1911 in 38 super?
I see Rock Island offers them now.

khmer6
12-26-2013, 06:08 PM
One hell of an accurate cartridge. RIA has made them for quite some time now, just not so popular. I love mine

kens
12-26-2013, 06:48 PM
What can be done to prevent your 1911 from throwing brass into the next county?
Stiffer slide spring?
Softer loads?
Anything?

khmer6
12-26-2013, 08:35 PM
My only 1911 that slings brass is my 10mm. The 45 drops them right by my foot. 38 super goes a little further