PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal swaging complete

just bill
12-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I went through a lot of threads and research for my .458 socom to swage bullets. Thanks to BT Sniper, UP North, Blamer, NOE and a whole lot of people on this site that gave me bounteous amounts of information, THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU.

Now comes my next project, I would like to make as accurately as I possibly can, at home, 30 cal bthp 190 -200 grain bullets (if possible) for long range shooting. The reason I ask this is because I was reading the articles for .308 from 9mm brass and thought the accuracy question was not resolved. Making them would involve making jackets from copper tubing, (dies needed) (or buying brass jackets (length???)). Having cores (a squirt die and mold) made to the proper weight, then bullet forming dies. I have a sufficient quantity of 300 win mag hunting bullets 190 gr., additional used brass casings and all the reloading equipment. I have been reloading pistol loads for years, however this rifle stuff is more challenging, especially if I intend to go into long distance shooting competition.

Thanks,

BIll

Reload3006
12-17-2013, 07:58 PM
308 from 9mm brass is not going to make a match bullet but plenty good for inside a hundred yards hunting. If your wanting a long range match bullet in 30 caliber get ready to spend some money. Berger J4 jackets will be your best bet probably in 1.2" length will depend on your ogive. There are a lot more questions you will need to answer and I am sure one of them is cost. Dies are available on a waiting list from RCE, Corbin MFG, Larry Blackman, B.T. Sniper ,and get ready to spend some coin but probably the best dies out there are Deutsch are the bench rest dies of choice lately I guess Niemi is out of business now. possibly others. But you can make bullets better than any you can buy.

MOcaster
12-17-2013, 08:12 PM
How much are Deutsch dies? They are carbide, correct? I would love to have a set but I will probably spend my extra money on a gun before I save up enough for a set.

Reload3006
12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
I dont know what hes charging now days but yes his dies are carbide

nicholst55
12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
How much are Deutsch dies? They are carbide, correct? I would love to have a set but I will probably spend my extra money on a gun before I save up enough for a set.

I got a quote from him a year or so ago; they were $2,000 at that time.

MOcaster
12-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Wow! That just reinforces my earlier statement.
P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Utah Shooter
12-18-2013, 01:24 AM
I got a quote from him a year or so ago; they were $2,000 at that time.
Yeah I received a quote with 3 presses for around $2,400 if memory serves me right. I actually think that is a decent price considering. I however decided to hold back until I can decide if I want to make them for sale or not.

Cane_man
12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
i agree that 30cal from 9mm cases might give you MOA at best, and if you want something more accurate thatn that you need to buy commercial jackets or draw your own jackets starting from copper sheets

aaronraad
12-19-2013, 01:35 AM
You really need the 1.3" jackets for 30cal bthp projectiles and maybe even the 1.4" jackets.
thing
If you want something as accurate as possible for long range you'll need to use jackets. Tubing and cartridge cases just won't get the wall thickness tolerances and tapering required and you really want to focus on swaging projectiles not making jackets.

Making long range target projectiles is very demanding and complex. More than anything you'll need patience and lots of it. Good luck.

aaronraad
12-19-2013, 01:36 AM
You really need the 1.3" jackets for 30cal bthp projectiles and maybe even the 1.4" jackets.
thing
If you want something as accurate as possible for long range you'll need to use jackets. Tubing and cartridge cases just won't get the wall thickness tolerances and tapering required and you really want to focus on swaging projectiles not making jackets.

Making long range target projectiles is very demanding and complex. More than anything you'll need patience and lots of it. Good luck.