PDA

View Full Version : Primer Pocket Uniformer

oneokie
11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
A really dumb newbie question.
Will a primer pocket uniformer remove the burrs from around the flash hole in the primer pocket? And is this necessary?:confused:

Dale53
11-25-2007, 02:00 AM
NO. A primer pocket uniformer only works on the "pocket" (where you insert the primer). A separate tool is available for the flash hole:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=729748

I don't "uniform" my pistol loads but I DO precision rifle loads.

Dale53

Bret4207
11-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I have a uniformer, forget which brand. I use it on new cases and maybe again after 10 loadings or so or when the pocket looks weird. Handy little tool.

VTDW
11-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes it takes a debur tool for flash holes. I believe in deburring myself but admit to being anal.

Dave

floodgate
11-25-2007, 01:55 PM
oneokie:

The flash-hole burrs are usually on the inside of the case, as the primer flash-hole is punched or drilled through from the rear, and the "de-burrer" works from the case mouth end. The uniformers (and primer pocket scrapers) work from the rear.

floodgate

BCB
11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
The ones I have are made by Lyman. They cut the primer pocket to the correct depth to allow the primer to be seated just below the surface as is recommended. I have one for large and one for small primer pockets. The large one indicates that it should not be used in pistol cases with large primer pockets (44 Mag. Etc.). So being one to follow directions, I use it for my 44 Magnum cases!!! Never had a problem. I also use these tools to clean the primer pocket after shooting as it will only cut to a given depth and no deeper. Any residue from the primer is quickly cut away. I like them…BCB

oneokie
11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Have run across quite a few Federal (FC) cases that have burrs around the flash hole in the primer pocket.
Using a Lee primer pocket cleaner does not clean the pocket due to the burrs preventing the blade from bottoming in the pocket.
The RCBS brush cleaner has the same problem.

floodgate
11-25-2007, 03:02 PM
oneokie:

That's a new on on me; never seen burrs on the back side. One of the Lyman, Sinclair, etc., uniformers will do the job in this case.

floodgate

crowbuster
11-25-2007, 05:12 PM
It truly is amazing just how much brass is removed from inside with a flash hole deburring tool say on a mid size rifle case. done thousands and never ceases to amaze me no handgun for me either.

oneokie
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will be acquiring a new tool.

Char-Gar
11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I uniform primer pockets and deburr flash hole, because it is a good thing to do... BUT... these are very small factors in the accuracy equation and won't produce noticable improvments in accuracy until all of the major factors have been delt with.

montana_charlie
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
The large one indicates that it should not be used in pistol cases with large primer pockets (44 Mag. Etc.). So being one to follow directions, I use it for my 44 Magnum cases!!!
Why?

Large Pistol primers are not as 'tall' as rifle primers, so why do you set them in a 'deeper' hole...or do you use rifle primers in your pistol ammo?
CM

IcerUSA
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I just use a drill bit that fits thru the case neck and I happen to have an old chuck that I put the drill bit in and a couple turns by hand and most burrs are gone.

YMMV

Keith

crowbeaner
11-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I do all my rifle cases inside and out; you would be surprised how much metal comes out even on small cases like the 222 and 223. The good news is that the uniforming only has to be done once and the cases are done till they split or get lost. These two steps have cut inches off some loads with no other changes; the brass was LC milsurp, and I was so impressed by the change I started doing all of them. VOILA! Instant accuracy improvement. CB.

Shiloh
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I just use a drill bit that fits thru the case neck and I happen to have an old chuck that I put the drill bit in and a couple turns by hand and most burrs are gone.

YMMV

Keith

Thats how I de-burr.

My uniformer is a Sinclair. Bought them YEARS ago. still works perfect. Get the handle for it. I have the handled version if both small and large.

My how prices go up!!

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECPUN&type=store

Shiloh :castmine:

brshooter
11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I use the Sinclair one for Large rifle, very well made. I used it to deepen the primer pockets of 2500 Win. 45-70 cases. That took some time and some swear words for Winchester and their shallow primer pockets. For my Lapua 220 Russian/6PPC cases, I use a WhiteTail Small Primer Pocket tool. Both are a treasure to use.

Three44s
12-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I inside flashhole debur ALL of my metalic cases.

I began using this technique with varmint rifle loads.

At one point I was using up some old Red Dot in a .44 mag ......... was not loading shot shell then .......

My loads were dirty and I thought I would try deburring them .......... VIOLA ....... much cleaner.

I own a Primer pocket uniformer as well. .......... follow the directions closely with either of these types of tools.

I would rather cut twice than cut too much off ....... it's hard to grow back! And the web section of the case is the end that you are staring at when you drop the hammer.

Don't be afraid ........ just be cautious.

Enjoy

Three 44s

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 03:19 AM
oneokie:

That's a new on on me; never seen burrs on the back side.

I wouldn't have thought it possible myself--
unitl I saw some burrs around the flash hole of some military 7.62 NATO brass.
On these few, the flash hole was also off center.

I found the burr after I de-primed, but with the flash hole itself being off center,
I always wondered if maybe my de-capping pin made them......