PDA

View Full Version : Is a Star sizer gonna work OK for seating gas checks while lube/sizing?

Defcon-One
12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I have been pan lubing and then sizing bullets nose first using a Lee die set on a small scale. Cheap and affective, if not fast. No gas checks, only plain, flat based bullets.

My problem is, a friend just asked me to help him cast, size and seat gas checks for his 30-30 rifle. We got some great bullets cast and started by hand seating gas checks on the bullets then pan lubed with Lee Alox hard lube and then ran them through the die as usual. The problem is if we put the bullets through the die nose first, as it is designed to do, the hydraulic pressure from the sizing taper forces the excess lube down into the gas check before it is crimped and the pressure pushes the check partly off of the bullet. Then it crimps it in the wrong place as it continues through the die and out the top. Sometimes crooked, always off of the base. The ram pressure is not enough to keep the check in place.

Since these were flat point bullets, we finally just gave up and put them through the Lee die base first. This crimped the gas check early on and then displace any extra lube down toward the nose of the bullet. It worked for that application, but what about pointed bullets?

I am considerng a Star Sizer, but knowing that they also feed bullets nose first, I am wondering if that problem might be an issue as well. I suspect that the lube is dispensed after the gas check gets seated, so probably not.

Anyone have experience with seating gas checks on a Star Sizer. I'd love to know what to expect and if it will do the job well before I fork out a ton of money to buy one.

Is an RCBS LAM 2 or a Lyman 4500 a better option? I have heard that they make a mess with gas checks and bevel based bullets, leaving extra lube around the base of the bullet due to the rounded edges on the checks or the bevel.

Thanks,

DC-1

Ickisrulz
12-17-2013, 12:21 PM
I pan lube also. When using gas checks I seat the checks and crimp them first. I use just a little lube (like Imperial Sizing Wax) when I crimp the primers so they go through without much friction. Then I pan lube and run the bullets through the sizing die a second time.

Defcon-One
12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Ickisrulz: Good idea, but it sure does add to the work load and time involved that way!

Anyone on the Star Sizer and gas checks? RCBS LAM 2 or a Lyman 4500? I really want just one tool that will do it all the best possible, no issues.

454PB
12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I install gas checks with my Star sizer all the time with no problems. However, I do all my sizing nose first (down).

seagiant
12-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I install gas checks with my Star sizer all the time with no problems. However, I do all my sizing nose first (down).

Hi,
Yes! The Star is actually the best sizer to use for gas checks! Actually best sizer period! IMO!

Ickisrulz
12-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Ickisrulz: Good idea, but it sure does add to the work load and time involved that way!

Anyone on the Star Sizer and gas checks? RCBS LAM 2 or a Lyman 4500? I really want just one tool that will do it all the best possible, no issues.

That depends on how many rifle bullets you are doing. Setting up a Star is much more involved than setting up a Lee sizer die. If you are swapping bullets a lot and not doing thousands at a time, you might find my method is less time consuming. It is cheaper...I guarantee you that.

dragonrider
12-17-2013, 02:23 PM
A Star sizer/lubricator excels at seating gas checks. When sizing rifle boolits it takes me longer because after I insert a boolit seat check, size, lube I then push the boolit out with a 1-1/4" long piece of brass just a bit smaller than the boolit. This prevent damage to the check and the nose of the next boolit. Before installing checks be sure that your boolit bases are flat with bumps from sprue cutting.

btroj
12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
My Star does a great job on sizing, checking, and lubing all in one step.

Defcon-One
12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, just what I thought. Sounds like I'm gonna get a Star Sizer for Christmas!

Hope you all have a great Holiday!

DC-1

kbstenberg
12-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Defon-one I hope you have already ordered your Star. Unless your getting a used one. I am going to order mine tomorrow. Kevin

Frozone
12-17-2013, 08:14 PM
...... it takes me longer because after I insert a boolit seat check, size, lube I then push the boolit out with a 1-1/4" long piece of brass just a bit smaller than the boolit......

That's the only problem with gas checks and the star.
The star does a great job but, It's a case where the lyman style sizer is quicker/easier.
About like the star is over the lyman normally, the lyman beats the star with checks - about twice the work with the star.

357maximum
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I run gaschecked boolits nose first through my STAR all the time with ZERO issue and no extra steps.......I would not go back to not having one. With loooong boolits you will get a very small divot in the gascheck of the previous boolit.....my groups have gotten smaller since I went from the Lyman and lee methods to the STAR so the divot obviously hurts NOTHING........maybe it helps.

seagiant
12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
That's the only problem with gas checks and the star.
The star does a great job but, It's a case where the lyman style sizer is quicker/easier.
About like the star is over the lyman normally, the lyman beats the star with checks - about twice the work with the star.
Hi,
Huh???

blikseme300
12-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I run gaschecked boolits nose first through my STAR all the time with ZERO issue and no extra steps.......I would not go back to not having one. With loooong boolits you will get a very small divot in the gascheck of the previous boolit.....my groups have gotten smaller since I went from the Lyman and lee methods to the STAR so the divot obviously hurts NOTHING........maybe it helps.

I have the same results as above except no divot as the boolits I prefer have generous meplats.

zomby woof
12-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I couldn't sell my LAMII fast enough after I bought my Star. I seat checks all the time with it.

357maximum
12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
I have the same results as above except no divot as the boolits I prefer have generous meplats.

I have a couple of long pointies that I am determined to make shoot sub MOA at HV, all the others have some meplate and do not have that issue....I could have been clearer on that I spose

I LOVE MY STAR...try takin it and we is gonna have us a serious issue. :lol:

bobthenailer
12-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Just drop in the boolet nose first into sizing die,postion GC on base of bullet and size normaly, i have done well over 10,000 on my star l/s with no problems and excellent accuracy that rivals jacketed bullets

kbstenberg
12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Bob is there enough pressure on the bullet before it is sized to completely seat the check?

MT Chambers
12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Absolutely, the Star is best/fastest for any sizing or gas check seating, all at once, everything nice and square. I like to put the checks on the bullets by hand first, then run them through, very quickly.

kbstenberg
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I just got off of the phone with Magma and I have to wait 4 months for mine.

bbqncigars
12-20-2013, 01:31 AM
You might want to check this thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223793-Sticker-Shock) before ordering a Star. Initial setup of seating gc & sizing .510 pointy boolits showed that I needed a cupped ram for the checks,and dragonrider's dowel to avoid tip damage. Smaller boolits may not have the ram issues.

detox
12-20-2013, 10:33 AM
The Lyman sizing dies are better than the RCBS versions because they have a concave sizing pin...this die is perfect for seating gas checks square. The concave end also prevents lube from migrating under bullet when lubed. I modified my RCBS sizing stems by grinding ends hollow...this is a big improvement over the flat end. I use my RCBS Lubra sizer, a flat tip nose punch and gas check seating tool to seat checks square. You will see a ring around bottom edge of gas check after it has beed seated. Harder water quenched alloy or Linotype works best to pevent deforming when seating check square

First i size nose first in the Lee sizer, then i apply gas check and lube using the RCBS.