PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six .25 Special

handsomebob
12-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Mornin' Boys,

I have a Single Six Hunter that I would love to convert to a .25 Special. I was thinking of using a .25 Hornet case shortend to fit the cylinder and a cast .257 boolit. The cylinder would have to be bored out and the barrel bored and re-rifled. I have been thinking of this conversion for years; just can't get it out of my head! Any data, input, suggestions, gunsmiths, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas All!

Handsomebob

Outpost75
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
It can be done, but would be a really expensive job.

First finding somebody to do the work, then getting the tooling made, loading dies, etc. If you find anybody who would do it for under $1000 let me know, I'd like a spare .32 ACP cylinder for my H&R mag and a spare 7.62x25 cylinder for my .30 carbine Rugers......

pietro
12-17-2013, 11:41 AM
If you find anybody who would do it for under $1000 let me know, I'd like a spare .32 ACP cylinder for my H&R mag and a spare 7.62x25 cylinder for my .30 carbine Rugers.

Alan Harton, TX.

Here's a .32H&R (blued) Ruger New Bear Cat by Alan:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1399174

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/Foursquare_album/Pistols/IMG_0704.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Bob - Just a thought: The SS is a rimfire handgun; the Hornet case is a centerfire........................... ergo, starting with a CF gun would be miles easier & less costly to boot. (unless you're an Alan Harton ;) )

bhn22
12-17-2013, 11:47 AM
These guys have been batting around a similar project for awhile.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/9662/forum-wildcat

texassako
12-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Ever since reading Glen Fryxell's article on a .25 caliber revolver, I have wanted one. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell25Hornet.htm . I have run across a couple revolvers converted to bottleneck cartridges like .256 Win Mag and .25-20 WCF, but it sounds like they lock up quick unless you load them light. It might be tough setting it up for centerfire cartridges. You might be better off starting with a .32 Single Six or a Blackhawk like in the article. The Blackhawk also lets you use the fairly common .25 Hornet wildcat since the cylinder is longer.

reed1911
12-17-2013, 03:52 PM
While boring and re-rifling the barrel would be expensive, I think you would be better served with making it like a Dan Wesson. For those not aware, the barrel threads into the frame and the cylinder gap set with a shim (just like what is used for spark gap set) then the shroud is slid over the barrel and a nut screws onto the barrel and tensions against the shroud. I think a project like this could be easily done for 300-350 provided you are able to get the reamer at a discount or rent one that will properly work. If you have access to a machine shop or competent machinist friend, you can get proper barrel stock for next to nothing as a end piece cutoff. the shroud could be made from the existing barrel and keep the existing sights, that would just be a bore job and relief for the nut, the nut is about 6.00 or can be made from the barrel stock. The reamer is the highest cost point here and labor of course.

revolvergeek
12-18-2013, 01:41 AM
I'd like a spare .32 ACP cylinder for my H&R mag and a spare 7.62x25 cylinder for my .30 carbine Rugers......

Absolutely!! I could use that pair myself.

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2013, 03:11 AM
My Dad had two of the single six rim fire pistols converted to center fire. the first one, he chambered for the 22CCM. very nice pistol, and the conversion to center fire was done by a local gunsmith friend of his. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much. The firing pin worked, but just barley touched the primer to the outside, and he had to use special primers or they would not go off.

The second one went from 22mag to 32 H&R. This one, he sent to Ruger, and I think they charged him $100 for the conversion to center fire plus barrel and parts. I know it wasn't much, since it was cheaper for him to buy the cheap 22mag on gunbroker and send it to Ruger, then to just buy a 32 H7R outright.

Reg
12-18-2013, 04:31 AM
You need to check out the April edition of the 1960 Guns magazine, page 22. Here Frank deHaas goes into a whole series of projects right along this line. The one that stands out is what he called a .224 K-Chucker. I think this cartridge is also mentioned in the book of wildcat cartridges. I wouldn't wonder if not about the same results would be found in a 25 caliber but perhaps to a lessor degree. Among the guns he either modified or built was a Rugar Bearcat.
Another thought might be the .32 S&W long necked to .22 caliber as proposed by No Zombies. He has worked out a process of using a .218 Bee reamer and modifying regular .218 Bee dies that does work. Currently have one exactly as he describes sitting on the bench only lacking wood. It would be easy to modify this process to .25 caliber.
Would be far cheaper to just use a Rugar .32 Mag as a basis for such a project. You could not pay anyone to do a center fire conversion on a SS for the price difference plus you would have the advantage of better heat treating on the Mag as opposed to the SS of which the few I have worked on were not really heat treated to a high degree if much at all. Would also be much cheaper to just replace the barrel rather than go for a re-bore.

Multigunner
12-18-2013, 07:36 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought he meant that extra long .25 autoloader cartridge that made a brief appearance years ago. It was basically a .25 ACP with extra long case intended to give a bit more velocity and energy to the smaller pocket autos.
Not a very workable solution, but the cartridge might hold promise as a reloadable straight walled case for a revolver with energy in the .22 Magnum class.
Not sure if that cartridge had the semi rim or if it was a true rimless.

Straight cases seem to work best in revolvers, even the slight taper of the .44-40 caused problems when a S&W single action break top was marketed in that caliber. The lack of leverage when cocking coupled with drag induced by the tapered case made that model unpopular. The straight case .44 Russian and .44 Special worked fine in the break tops.

bobthenailer
12-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I beleve in some past article in handloader magazine there was a wildcat 25cal revolver cartradge discussed.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
bowen made some really neat j frame smtihs that shot 25acps in moon clips. I know he really likes fooling with the small bore stuff. He does top shelf work but dont expect it at bargin prices.

Ickisrulz
12-19-2013, 11:26 AM

First finding somebody to do the work, then getting the tooling made, loading dies, etc. If you find anybody who would do it for under $1000 let me know, I'd like a spare .32 ACP cylinder for my H&R mag and a spare 7.62x25 cylinder for my .30 carbine Rugers......

Midway sells Story cylinder blanks for the Blackhawk for $160. I don't know how much reaming the holes, fitting and bluing would be or who would do it.

Bullshop Junior
12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
The blackhawk cylinders wont fit in the single six, and that would be a heavy gun in 25 cal. Don't need it to be that big.

revolvergeek
12-19-2013, 02:58 PM
You need to check out the April edition of the 1960 Guns magazine, page 22. Here Frank deHaas goes into a whole series of projects right along this line. The one that stands out is what he called a .224 K-Chucker. I think this cartridge is also mentioned in the book of wildcat cartridges. I wouldn't wonder if not about the same results would be found in a 25 caliber but perhaps to a lessor degree. Among the guns he either modified or built was a Rugar Bearcat.

Thanks for pointing that out! Very interesting old article.

Ickisrulz
12-19-2013, 04:00 PM
The blackhawk cylinders wont fit in the single six, and that would be a heavy gun in 25 cal. Don't need it to be that big.

Outpost75 wanted a cylinder for his 30 Carbine Blackhawk. That is unless he has a 30 Carbine Single Six....

Bullshop Junior
12-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Outpost75 wanted a cylinder for his 30 Carbine Blackhawk. That is unless he has a 30 Carbine Single Six....\

I didn't notice that. I was browsing from my phone, and my phones does not show when people make quotes. My mistake.

paul h
12-19-2013, 07:48 PM

It really shouldn't be that expensive.

Custom reamer ~$150
Custom loading dies ~$150
Gunsmith work for new barrel, bore cylinder out and change from rimfire to centerfire ~$500-600.

I'd check with Jack Huntington, he's pretty reasonable for custom revolver work and does outstanding work.

NoZombies
12-19-2013, 11:17 PM
I can speak to the .22 Kay-Chuk as well. I had a S&W model 17 that had been so converted. It was essentially a K-hornet trimmed 1/8" on length. I believe true bottleneck cartridges do better in revolvers than do tapered cartridges. The Kay-Chuk did fine with any loads I tried in it without ever having a case back up and bind the cylinder, and I did try some pretty hot loads. I believe the .256 WM would be alright as it's a more bottle neck cartridge as apposed to the .22 rem Jet that was tapered.

In talking with Alan Harton last year, I remember thinking that he is actually quite reasonable on his CF conversion work. I would suggest at least talking with him about the project.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Harton did a 32 mag bearcat for me and did a nice job.
I can speak to the .22 Kay-Chuk as well. I had a S&W model 17 that had been so converted. It was essentially a K-hornet trimmed 1/8" on length. I believe true bottleneck cartridges do better in revolvers than do tapered cartridges. The Kay-Chuk did fine with any loads I tried in it without ever having a case back up and bind the cylinder, and I did try some pretty hot loads. I believe the .256 WM would be alright as it's a more bottle neck cartridge as apposed to the .22 rem Jet that was tapered.

In talking with Alan Harton last year, I remember thinking that he is actually quite reasonable on his CF conversion work. I would suggest at least talking with him about the project.