PDA

View Full Version : 444 reloading question

Hairtrigger
12-17-2013, 07:23 AM
I have been reloading ammo for several years, mostly varmint calibers.
My LGS had a 444 in the rack that needed a good home and who better than myself to provide one?
For some reason I decided the way to reload the 444 was to buy a Lee Loader in 444.....
Dumb question but here goes. Do I need to lube the cases first? The instructions are mostly pictures and say nothing about lube.
As long as I am asking, can I crimp the bullet in the case with the Lee Loader?
Try not to laugh too hard at my rookie questions
Thanks
HT

Muskrat Mike
12-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Yes! Lee's lube or Imperial sizing wax work great for me. You don't need a lot but it will make life simpler!

blikseme300
12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Don't lube and you will be sorry! The long brass tube will stick as if super glued.

I have used the whack-a-mole system from Lee but I would recommend a press to get the most from your rifle. For more than 10 years I used the Lee Reloader Press for all of my pistol and rifle reloading and is economical yet slow.

Another option is to use a Lee Hand Press. These units don't need a bench and I have used these at the range to work up loads.

Firebricker
12-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I use different lubes at times but for the .444 it is always Imperial sizing wax. It is a long straight case and takes a lot more effort to resize than say a .270 in my experience anyway. I would suggest just using a standard die set if you already have a press. I have never personally used a Lee loader but they are a good tool my dad loaded thousands of .357s on one years ago. But with the .444 I think it might be a little more work than it would be worth. Like I stated though I am just speculating hopefully one of the members here with actual experience with the Lee in that caliber can give you better info. Either way the wax I believe will be your best lube. FB

singleshot
12-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Yes, you can crimp cases with the Lee Loader. Check the instructions, you basically turn the die over and give it a tap to crimp. This step is more easily accomplished with better results using an arbor press. I didn't even know you could get a 444 marlin in the Lee-whack-a-mole! I think the best thing for you to do is sell that pesky thing to me!!! :-)

Typically with Lee Loader in rifle calibers, the die only neck-sizes. In the case of 444 marlin, I have no idea. If it only neck sizes, you won't need any lube and very little force. Quite a different story if the die is set up to full-length size.

farmallcrew
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
You always lube shells, except for CARBIDE sizing die, you don't need to lube. But i lube everything because it is more uniform that what.

If Lee Loader wants you to crimp them, it will say in the instructions. My 30-30 Lee Loader doesn't say anything about crimping the case. Just do a little research.

And i wish my shop had a 444 sitting on the shelf, just sitting there. The ex's step dad, threw me his 444, i said shoot a box on Sunday and don't go back to work until Wednesday, I WANT ONE!!