PDA

View Full Version : POST 64 Model 70 Extractor not extracting

TCLouis
12-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Now I know why pre 64s and Mausers are the way to go.

A REAL extractor!

Really I have a SearsChester, but it is the same thing as model 70 (budget version) , especially after I changed out stock and applied Model 70 bottom metal.

Went to shoot it yesterday and the extractor would not catch the rim and extract.

However the spring action in the extractor is supposed to work, it does not.

Broken spring or just crud down in there blocking the movement?

The extractor slides easily enough, but does nothing without finger pressure to slide it.

Artful
12-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Probably crud but only takes a little cleaning to get 'em working usually.
Clean with solvent and a brush until you can get full range of motion for the extractor.
It's held in place with spring and detent ball.
If you decide to remove the extractor, be careful you do not launch the spring and detent ball. Consider doing that operation inside a plastic bag. ;)

The extractor can be removed by using a small punch through its hole to push the plunger in and slide the extractor out to the side.
(Again this is a good way to lose the plunger and spring, so be very careful!)

Then the extractor slot and the plunger hole can be cleaned thoroughly and lightly oiled.

Is the ejector plunger moving freely they usually both get crudded up about the same time. Brass shavings from back of brass on real high pressure loads love to hide there.

Since the ejector keeps pressure between the case rim and extractor.
If the plunger is jammed or sticky, you can usually get it moving again if you scrub it out well - break cleaner is my friend.

Also see if the extractor lip is damaged or curled over toward the bolt face.

Last info I had on Winchester parts department for replacement stuff, call them at: 1-800-322-4626

oscarflytyer
12-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Make sure the extractor itself is not broken. I had to replace one on a '71 300 Win Mag. No big deal. They can chip and not extract. Simple replacement.

fouronesix
12-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Yes, very easy change out. Three parts to them- extractor, plunger and spring. Currently Numrich has the extractor for standard bolt face. The magnum size extractor, which is different radius, can be hard to find.

TCLouis
12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
I'll put her in a plastic bag this weekend and get the plunger out.

Was gonna be my cast boolit deer gun this year.

phonejack
12-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Last week I "repaired" mine . I filed the radius and then took a hone and round crock stick to polish everything.
Worked! It slips over the case rim easily now.