PDA

View Full Version : magna port and gas checks?

Halfbreed
11-24-2007, 08:53 PM
O.K. guys I am looking at a 475 Linebaugh that has been magna ported, the only loads I am interested shooting here are hardcast and gc.
For those with experience here, is there a problem with the gas checks boolits.
kinda need to hear from those with experience with this matter soon.
Thanks John

454PB
11-24-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a ported Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.....but not Magnaported. The ports are round rather than trapazoidal. I haven't seen any problems shooting gas checked boolits. Personally, I'd prefer it not be ported, I can't see that it makes any difference other than creating more muzzle blast and making the barrel longer without adding any velocity.

C A Plater
11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I've got a old Smith & Wesson 29 with Magnaports and have never given it any concern using cast, checked or not. I never saw anything in the ports except powder residue that went aways with Hoppes 9.

Bass Ackward
11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I used one from the mid 70s until the forcing cone cracked around 50,000 rounds in the late 80s and I always got around it.

Lead is always going to swell out to find the support of steel under enough pressure.

If you think about that statement, then the obvious limitations to Mag Na Porting might be:

1. Would have less effect in longer barrels.
2. Faster powders would be better than slow as the pressure peaks sooner and drops lower by the port.
3. You may lose some flexibility for shooting softer bullets unless way low charges are used.

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2007, 09:20 AM
ive put thousands of them threw ported guns and never saw were a gas check caused any problems