PDA

View Full Version : New Custom 45-70 mould

KirkD
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Having been frustrated in the past after purchasing moulds that dropped the bullets too small, or had other problems, I now get all my moulds from Accuracy Molds, where I can stipulate what diameter I want to size my bullets to. I especially had a frustrating experience finding a 500 grain mould with a large enough diameter to use in an original Springfield 45-70 as well as in an original Winchester 1886 45-70. I found a mold offered by Accuracy Molds and then emailed Tom to see if he could make a change or two such that the O.A.L. would be just shy of the 45-90 and feed through my original Model 1886 (I wanted the bullet to sit as far out of the case as possible to keep the internal peak pressure spike down to closer to original BP pressures). He emailed me back with a modified design 46-500F and I ordered it. I have been extremely pleased with his brass moulds and got this one in brass as well. Just in case anyone else is looking for a nice 500 grain plain base bullet that will feed through an original Winchester 1886 45-70 and also be useful in an original Springfield, here it is. The forward driving band just forward of the crimping groove is for those like myself that load smokeless. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-500F-D.pn

MtGun44
12-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Use the Lee 405 HB, cast soft and you do not need to fit to the TD bore.

Bill