PDA

View Full Version : How do you deprime brass for wet tumbling? Using Dillon reloading machine

Walter Laich
12-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Was wondering how those of you who have Dillon equipment are depriming brass before cleaning it with the STM wet method.

I figured the best way for me was to replace the top of the reloader (4 bolts) with just a head that only holds the decapping pin. Then just run the brass cases through the progressive press and they fall out at station 4 with only the primers removed. This way don't have to remove the case after depriming. Tried the Lee Universal decapper die but too much effort.

Do the wet wash thing

Replace the regular Dillon head and I'm back to a full function progressive.

I'm thinking this is the quickest as well as easiest way but want to be sure I'm not overlooking a simpler way.

Might have to remove the primer housing (3 bolts) in case I am pushing the handle too far forward on up stroke and accidently stick a primer or two in the cases.

thoughts?

bullet maker 57
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
I've deprimed 223 and 30-06s that way. Worked good for me.

RPRNY
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
RCBS universal decapper, 22 - 45 cal. No different to what your doing though.

Idz
12-16-2013, 08:04 PM
I bought a cheap Lee press and universal de-capper die for about $30 so I can keep dirty, gritty brass away from the reloading dies.

country gent
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I made a pliers type hand depriming tool it works on all calibers is faster and easier than most presses and I can sit about anywhere depriming.

VHoward
12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Was wondering how those of you who have Dillon equipment are depriming brass before cleaning it with the STM wet method.

I figured the best way for me was to replace the top of the reloader (4 bolts) with just a head that only holds the decapping pin. Then just run the brass cases through the progressive press and they fall out at station 4 with only the primers removed. This way don't have to remove the case after depriming. Tried the Lee Universal decapper die but too much effort.

Do the wet wash thing

Replace the regular Dillon head and I'm back to a full function progressive.

I'm thinking this is the quickest as well as easiest way but want to be sure I'm not overlooking a simpler way.

Might have to remove the primer housing (3 bolts) in case I am pushing the handle too far forward on up stroke and accidently stick a primer or two in the cases.

thoughts?
I take it your talking about a square deal b? You can do that easily. Another toolhead is $32 - $35 + shipping. When you get it, only install the decapper in it. Rremove the dies from the sdb. Remove the primer assembly if you leave primers in it. Decap your brass. Make sure you clean any dirt your brass may leave in your machine out before using again. I shoot at an outdoor range (open area in the local state forest) and my brass that falls on the ground picks up extra ditrt, so I would not do what your talking about. However, if you shoot at an indoor range, or shoot a revolver, then I see no issues.

VHoward
12-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I made a pliers type hand depriming tool it works on all calibers is faster and easier than most presses and I can sit about anywhere depriming.
Would you please post pictures of your deprimer? I might like to copy that idea for myself.

Walter Laich
12-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I had some brass already tumbled brass and configured the press as I mentioned above.
Worked like a charm. Got 250 deprimed in less than 1/2 hour from setting up press to 'done.'

Will have to give consideration to dirty brass right off the range. Might do an hour tumble in vibrator then go to this method. Retired to have the time.

Got the new STM tumbler coming and want to see how it compares to TT Model B ones

Garyshome
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I have a dedicated Lee press and universal de-capper die. Keeps the wear & tear off of the Dillon. I try to decap after every shooting session, if not the next day at the latest. I try to Re-size [rifle] off of the Dillon also. Pistol is mostly done on the Dillon.

dudel
12-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't see why the Lee Decapper is too much effort. I keep a toolhead with the lee decapper installed. I move the priming wire off of the primer slide pulley (keeps the slide from going back and forth). I just feed, stroke and rotate. When I want to change back, I pull two pins and replace the toolhead. Never seemed difficult to me, and it keeps my dies cleaner.

Why would you have primers in the tube when recapping? Just remove the primer feed tube.

Wizwheel
12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Harvey Deprimer- works on everything, don't know how i handloaded before i got mine! 2 coffee cans and a tray for the spent primers, 400 per hour while watching TV.

Bonz
12-17-2013, 04:46 PM
bought a cheap Lee Pro 1000 and a universal case feeder off of flea-bay instead of making my Hornady LNL Ammo Plant filthy. On there, I use a universal Lee de-capper to de-prime and a Lee universal case expanding die to round out the case opening.

w5pv
12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Lee universal decapper good enough for me.

kenyerian
12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I use a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press and the universal decapper.

rmatchell
12-17-2013, 06:41 PM
I did the same as Idz. Just a light duty press and the universal decaping die. I also took the same press and mounted in on a small aluminum plate that uses c clamps to mount to the bench that way I can set up anywhere I want. Even small enough to take with me to the inlaws and mount on the basement steps if I want to get away.

r1kk1
12-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Lee universal decapper has some limitations. What's the smallest and largest the Harvey can do?

I've been using a Sinclair decapper for the subcalibers and other things like 475 Linebaugh, etc.

Take care

r1kk1

VHoward
12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.harveydeprimer.com/Specs__orders_and_FAQS.html
Specs and FAQ's for the Harvey deprimer.

Jbiker
12-27-2013, 08:44 PM
when doing the depriving on the 550 dillion , I lube the cases , remove the powder rod and feed the cases from station 2 and reverse index pulling the sized decapped case out of position 1 with the right hand…the brass is always cleaned before,it's sized and deprimed and,pocket swaged if it's LC,WCC OR any mil brass. Then I run it thru the cleaner again to remove the case lube , run the cases thru the GRACIE and store them in coffee containers , the maxwell house plastic jugs', hold 500 to 600 cleaned,deprimed,sized ,swaged and cut to length( 1.755)…..223 ..cases

jmorris
12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I just remove the powder measure and PC die plunger.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/reloading/auto%201050/VID_20130629_165943_746_zps1fffb858.mp4.html

However, that is processing already cleaned brass. I wouldn't run dirty brass through any of my size dies.

HeavyMetal
12-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Checked out the Harvey tool and it's an intersting tool, for those who are looking into depriming before cleaning, and have not invested in tooling as yet, this is the way to go.

For those that have been loading for years, most have a single stage press, then the Lee universal decapper die might be a tad cheaper!

Saw the Harvey was 50 buck and add shipping, the Lee is about 20. 30 bucks can buy a 1000 primers ( almost) on a good day.

I have nothing against the Harvey tool, and may buy one just for grins, but it won't be faster than a Lee die, and I don't see how a custom die set up in a square deal or 550 is going to be any faster, ya still got to load a case one at a time and cycle the system to get it to fall out the back end!

Again if you already have a single stage press do the math and the Lee is still cheaper with less work to change tooling set up's.

If you don't have a single stage press then this all breaks about even cost wise.

But you will always have a need for a single stage press, sizing needs, depriming needs, heck you can buy a Meacham lube sizer to go in it way cheaper that a Star and nose size to boot!

Food for thought gentleman, Food for thought.

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2013, 12:56 AM
I would like to interject here.

Why not deprime and size the cases and then tumble them? That would remove the lube from the cases. Also it is wise to use lube on pistol cases as well as it makes them size easier in a carbide die. For rifle brass this is a no brainer you have to use some kind of case lube or you will stick cases in the die..

Seems like it would be a little more efficient than cleaning them first and then sizing them then cleaning them again. It takes nearly the same effort to size and deprime as it does to just deprime.

Also and this is the most important one. You handle the cases one less time. If you are talking about a few cases at a time then not such a big deal. If you are talking about hundreds or thousands of cases then it is a big deal.

I process all fired brass this way. Size/deprime, tumble, load cleaned cases. Makes better ammo.

I size and deprime cases on a Rockchucker, and load on the 550B or SDB.

Randy

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-29-2013, 01:10 AM
I SS wet tumble the brass before depriming. I don't care about dirty primer pockets. I care more about clean brass going into my dies. I also don't wanna waste time running all my brass through a universal decapper. That is just an extra step.

EDG
12-30-2013, 12:18 AM
I deprime with a simple Lee hand punch and base.
I do not get wrapped up making warp speed over every little operation.
The decapping maybe done weeks or months before the cases are cleaned prepped and sized.

skeet028
12-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Well I have a decapping die someone gave me and an OLD Herters Super Model 3 that was also free..at a gun show. I decap all my stuff on it....then clean 'em.

hunter64
12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
bought a cheap Lee Pro 1000 and a universal case feeder off of flea-bay instead of making my Hornady LNL Ammo Plant filthy. On there, I use a universal Lee de-capper to de-prime and a Lee universal case expanding die to round out the case opening.

I do the exact same thing, I have a different shell holder for each of the calibers that I run and you can really go thru the brass with this set up. The biggest flaw in the 1000 design is the horrible primer system and since you are not using it, you can do a ton of brass in short order.

prs
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't. I wet tumble without the SS, just use detergent and citric acid and let the cases be the media. I let it tumble several hours and they are very clean in and out. The pockets, when decapped have very little carbon left in them and it does not tend to worsen after many repeats.

prs

gandydancer
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Universal de-priming die. & a SBP press

http://www.amazon.com/SmartReloader-VBSR008-4-S-B-P-Reloading-Press/dp/B004ZIO3SI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388429711&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+reloader

gunoil
12-30-2013, 07:34 PM
lee 22$ single press with uni-decapper. I like to inspect and seperate brass. Some i dont know where it came from.

I dont decap 380 brass that goes in dillon 1050, just wash it, my ss media is 500 RPM.

country gent
12-30-2013, 07:41 PM
How about a link or site for this Harvey tool so we can see it

Walter Laich
12-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Since I started this I will bring you up to speed. FOR ME the running of one-hour tumbled brass through the SDB works.
Since I have a progressive press why not use the decapping feature?
It take 7 screws to remove the primer system and the top plate. Then I replace the top plate with a stripped on that only has the decapping pin in it.
The one hour tumble is to do a quick clean of the brass so I don't get sand and grit and 'stuff' in the press
The removal of the primer system is so I don't move the press arm too far and accidently seat a new primer--yes I leave primers in the primer tube all the time.
Now all I have to do is handle the brass once when putting it in the press, it gets deprimed and goes around and drops into a bin. I don't have to end up taking it out after depriming which is good for me and my arthritic fingers.
It is quicker FOR ME, but the main advantage is less wear and tear on my hands.
When I'm done put the press back together--takes 5 minutes or less and I'm good to go.

VHoward
12-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Whatever works for you is what you do. Just didn't want extra dirt getting into your press. Sounds as if you took care of that.

jmorris
12-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Since I started this I will bring you up to speed. FOR ME the running of one-hour tumbled brass through the SDB works.
Since I have a progressive press why not use the decapping feature?

The only reason I never did before I automated the process was because it didn't seem like a very progressive way to load. The only reason I do now is because it take almost no effort to run them through the machine I linked to in #19 and the main reason is so I know for sure every case will be 100% when I add bullets, powder and primers.

Walter Laich
12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
I enjoy reloading and like to 'mess around' with new things, come up with ways to increase the fun factor.
Still amazed to see the completed cartridges drop out all ready to do--but then I'm a simple guy with simple joys :)

jmorris
12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I enjoy reloading and like to 'mess around' with new things, come up with ways to increase the fun factor.

I understand, I am a fellow tinkeroholic.

lafd04
01-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I load on a 550 but its quicker (for me at least) to just use the Lee decapper in a cheap press.

9w1911
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Lee decapper in a cheap press --this

I tumble, Lee univ decap on the Lee single stage, then lube and size trim, tumble etc