PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed On Marlin-Ballard #2 in "38 Long"

Alan in Vermont
12-16-2013, 05:33 PM
A buddy has a Marlin-Ballard #2 that he bought many years ago. Rifle is in quite good condition, bore is dark but not pitted.

Caliber mark is "38 Long".

We are contemplating loading some cartridges for it but, so far, I am finding very little for trustworthy information of just what it used. We have not slugged the bore yet, that is in the plans, as is making a chamber cast.

If anyone has some knowledge of the cartridge I sure would appreciate anything they offer.

Bent Ramrod
12-16-2013, 08:00 PM
It should be chambered for both the .38 Long Rimfire and Centerfire. Check the breechblock face. It should have a reversible firing pin which can be switched by removing the retaining screw and turning the pin over. If the action is good and tight with no erosion on the breech face, it should be OK with black or mild smokeless loads. .38 Long Colt shells or trimmed .38 Special shells should fit properiy. You will need a heeled boolit with a shank of .357" and a body of .380", although a round ball of the proper size or the Ideal 37583, lubricated and dropped into the chamber ahead of the loaded shell, might work OK.

Alan in Vermont
12-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Accurate has a mold that looks like the right one for this cartridge, http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-140H-D.png

The gun owner has a stock of both FFG & FFFG. We are thinking that 3F would be the right one for this application, maybe?

Hooker53
11-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Glad I found this thread. I have a Rem Roller in 38 RF and so far shorts is what I been shooting in it but I knew it had a much longer chamber. It will load a 38 SP all the way but the rim. I can puch it all the way but the breech dont quite close. I'm still working on just what it is and what can be shot in it. I'm thinking of trimming a 38 SP down the rim thickness (abt .053) and push a Boolit up on the case and see if it will chamber today.

Wayne Smith
11-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Look at the Old West catalog of molds. He has heeled boolit molds for all of the old cartridges.

Hooker53
11-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Look at the Old West catalog of molds. He has heeled boolit molds for all of the old cartridges.
And if you don't see it, Bernie can prob still make it. IV been testing his 125 and 150 Gn heeled Boolits and so far they are doing great. I'm making my own cases out of 38 Sp brass for testing but in the end I will change this #2 over to center fire after I find another breech block. Been aiming to call The Rifle Shop but have not done it yet.

marlinman93
09-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Just stumbled across this old post, and thought it deserved reviving. The .38 Ballard Long is not the same as the .38 Long Colt. The bullet size of the Colt is much smaller, and accuracy with that cartridge will be dismal. The cases are great to use for reloading in a Ballard #2 though!
Most Ballard #2's in .38 Long will have around a .367" bore, and use a heeled bullet. If you don't use a heeled bullet, it will bulge the case, and not chamber. If you use any of the Colt bullets they are .361, and too small.
I still cast with the mold on an old Marlin marked Ideal tong tool. The mold drops a 130 grain bullet that is .359" at the heel, and .370" at the larger diameter. Most of my old Ballards in this caliber slug to around .367"-.368" bores. The bullet is a bit tight, but not enough to create leading, or poor accuracy.

Bigslug
09-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Just stumbled across this old post, and thought it deserved reviving. The .38 Ballard Long is not the same as the .38 Long Colt.

Very, very true, but I will add that the .38 Long Colt is an EXCELLENT candidate for a sleeve job on a shot out / rotted out .38 B.L. John Taylor did this work for my father's #2 and we couldn't be happier with the result. It lets you use your common .38 Special bullets, WON'T let you accidentally shoot a +P .38 in that cast receiver, and, in our case, made for a 2 MOA or better soup can zapper. The stupidly high amount of fun that rifle turned out to be is directly responsible for me ending up with my .32-20 converted Cadet.

If the bore is NOT dead, Accurate can make you a heeled base mold to use in .38 LC cases. If it IS dead, ponder the .38 LC conversion with something closer to its originally intended bullet size.

marlinman93
09-15-2015, 09:48 PM
How did John chamber it to accept .38 Special, but not accept .38+P cartridges? I didn't know there was any different chamber for those two?

Bigslug
09-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Very slightly shorter than a Special case.

marlinman93
09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Very slightly shorter than a Special case.

That's a great idea! Even standard .38 Specials should be avoided in a cast #2 action, so having to trim the cases keeps it where your mild loads will be perfect!

Bigslug
09-16-2015, 11:55 PM
On re-reading the last couple of posts. . .perhaps some need to clarify: The .38 Long Colt chamber is a bit shorter than the .38 Special. The net effect is the same as .44 and .357 Magnums not being able to chamber in the older Special chambers.

That said, we've got a Triple 7 load with an Accurate 36-155C cast of 20-1 creeping up comfortably on the sound barrier. It WEIGHS a lot more than my Cadet with it's 30" octagon, but unlike that little Martini, I don't think it's possible to get the barrel hot.

And Taylor did an AWESOME job! You have to look at the muzzle REAAAALLLY hard to spot the line.

marlinman93
09-17-2015, 10:33 AM
And Taylor did an AWESOME job! You have to look at the muzzle REAAAALLLY hard to spot the line.

I've got three guns that John relined, and all are impossible to see the liner job. Only way to really tell is at the chamber end. He's the best!