PDA

View Full Version : Hollowpoint inserts

CTI1USNRET
12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Many bullet makers are inserting a pliable plug into the hollowpoint. On impact, the insert is compressed and expands outward, opening the hollowpoint which then mushrooms.

Has anyone tried making your own inserts?

Steve

LIVE FREE OR DIE
http://americanslivingfree.com/

dk17hmr
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Lots of people on the Swagging sub forum are tipping there bullets... same would apply to cast ... mostly.

I have used 177 bb's and wax in the cavity of cast HP's and it seemed to work.

Maybe hot glue would do what you want.

Or just cast em soft.

xman777
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Try "ski plugs" I have been using them in my swaged hollow point rifle rounds and they look like a VMAX when complete.
Here is a flea bay link that I have bought from before. I put the tip in and then run it through a tipping die.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ski-bindings-plugs-holes-plugs-Plastic-100-RED-free-ship-in-USA-NEW-/380470449470

Wolfer
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Never used inserts, certainly haven't needed them with my soft alloy.

What I'm curious about. My rifles have a very small HP and shoot just fine. My pistols have a hybrid cup point by Eric and the HPs are not as accurate as solids. Accurate enough for close range deer hunting but I would like them to be as accurate as the solids.
I've thought about packing the HP with wax to see if air was effecting it.

missionary5155
12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Greetings
Now hot glue is a good idea I had not thought of. Gonna give that a try.
Mike in Peru

facetious
12-17-2013, 03:59 AM
squirt it full of sylicone gasket sealer and wipe off the tip and let it dry

HiVelocity
12-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Hot glue will not stick to the HP cavity, I tried. Try filling with Elmers glue.

I have tapped a copper BB into the HP cavity of my NOE 359-160-HP, with explosive results.

HV

dk17hmr
12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I have tapped a copper BB into the HP cavity of my NOE 359-160-HP, with explosive results.

HV

Try filling the cavity with oil than capping with a bb.
In theory it will create hydraulic pressure on impact and really open up the hp.

john hayslip
12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Alan Jones did an article in Shooting Times some time ago where he stated that you need to notch the front of the bullet to get it to start mushrooming.
I don't do attachments. Too old to know how or want to learn how.
Send me by PM a snail mail address and I'll send you a copy.
I once had a Lee 405 grain hollowpoint mold for the 45-70 that I looked at one day and took out a small primer pocket reamer and reamed the hollow. Put in a dab of Bullseye and topped it off with an inverted primer. Made a heck of a mess of a paper target at 100 yard. More explosive than expanding.

john hayslip
12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Alan Jones did an article in Shooting Times some time ago where he stated that you need to notch the front of the bullet to get it to start mushrooming.
I don't do attachments. Too old to know how or want to learn how.
Send me by PM a snail mail address and I'll send you a copy.
I once had a Lee 405 grain hollowpoint mold for the 45-70 that I looked at one day and took out a small primer pocket reamer and reamed the hollow. Put in a dab of Bullseye and topped it off with an inverted primer. Made a heck of a mess of a paper target at 100 yard. More explosive than expanding.

mkf350
12-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Is this the article?
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st_70hollowpoint_200811/

Fenring
12-27-2013, 01:06 AM
My .44 Devastators need no persuasion to open up @ 1650fps.... :D

rexherring
12-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Garlic will work for vampires and also pre-seasons the meat...........Just kidding. I was going to try some different HP plugs this spring and shoot into wet newspaper to compare. Silicone, hot glue, wax, etc. could be interesting and if nothing else, it's a good excuse to shoot.

pls1911
12-28-2013, 10:31 AM
You might try foil "splitter" in the ogive base to the tip... a strip across the affected portion of your mold face
Lead won't stick to the aluminum, so you effectively have "2-part-tip".
I've only heard about it, never tried it, and personally don't see the benefit.

TheCelt
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Is this the article?
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st_70hollowpoint_200811/

Great article, thanks for sharing the link.

HiVelocity
12-28-2013, 10:52 AM

John I received a copy from you on this idea and "it works". I have the articles in PDF format to e-mail if anyone would like a copy; send me a PM.

Thanks,

HV

smokesahoy
12-30-2013, 01:48 AM
What about leaving pan lube in the hp? It gets hard, sticks to the lead and should liquefy explosively on impact?

Old School Big Bore
12-30-2013, 02:00 AM
I have put thin paper splitters in the nose of Keiths, both out at the tip and back at the shoulder (which makes them bulge instead of split). Sort of like those three-wing zinc bullets but two wings. The ones with the splitter at the tip usually break into three pieces. In 'ABCs', Dean Grennell showed some custom turned HP plugs that put a primer pocket at the edge of the nose, with a hollow behind it, like John H describes above except it's cast in rather than cut post-casting. Never had any luck with the Lee auto-pin 44-210-SWC-HP, but I've been looking for a Devastator mold or one of the old Lyman separate body & nose two-alloy sets just to use the base as a cup point...