PDA

View Full Version : Lee dippers

Battis
12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I do not have a powder scale yet - it's most likely on the way. I do have a Lee powder measure kit (15 dippers). I'm reloading Swiss 7.5x55.
Are the powder dippers accurate enough to use for test rounds? I'm not looking for accurate loads, just safe ones. I wanted to try about 34 grs H4895 with a 150 gr bullet (.309). The kit's chart/scale reads 2.5cc for 34 grs.

Outpost75
12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
The Lee charge cups work fine, as long as you base your choice of measure on known safe load data and you use a consistent method for using the charge cup. I routinely use the Lee charge cups or "dippers" with my Lyman tong tools, and pack the appropriate measure with a data card I have worked up for the appropriate caliber and powder. Your proposed 34 grain charge of 4895 sounds reasonable for the 7.5. I use the same in my .308 Win., .303 British and .30-'06 rifles with #311299. I have found this is about the lightest load which reliably cycles the M1 Garand. You may want to use about 1.0 grain of Dacron fiber fill over the powder charge to improve ballistic uniformity.

I have found I get the most uniform charges by lowering the charge cup base first into a shallow bowl of powder, letting the powder flow in of its own weight, NOT simply dragging the cup through the powder like you were shoveling corn to feed the hogs!

Let the cup fill, pushing it straight down into the powder, then raise it straight up, using a card to strike the charge off level, before pouring it into the case, using a powder funnel. Charges measured in this manner will be as uniform as if you used a mechanical measure.

Battis
12-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Good info. Thanks.

jmort
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM
The technique outlined by Outpost75 is the same method set out by Richard Lee, i.e. push bottom of dipper into powder and let it fall in and strike off the dipper with a straight-edge/card. I find that will throw light charges, not a bad thing per se. I like to scoop and shake off excess. That is close enough for me, but using a card or straight-edge to strike off dipper would be more consistent. I find I get closer to advertised charge weight with that technique. Regardless, use a consistent technique and weigh enough charges so that you are sure of what you are getting. Then you can put your scale away until you buy some new powder, which should always be checked out with a scale. Dippers are the safest way to charge cases with a static volume and no moving parts.

UBER7MM
12-16-2013, 09:10 PM
I do not have a powder scale yet - it's most likely on the way. I do have a Lee powder measure kit (15 dippers). I'm reloading Swiss 7.5x55.
Are the powder dippers accurate enough to use for test rounds? I'm not looking for accurate loads, just safe ones. I wanted to try about 34 grs H4895 with a 150 gr bullet (.309). The kit's chart/scale reads 2.5cc for 34 grs.
Battis,
The Lee recommends to load low end of things. That's always a safe bet. Compare your 34 grs with other manuals ranges for a verification. I don't have any load data for you particular cartridge, so I've expended my helpfulness at this point.
Safe Reloading, shooting, reloading. (generally in that order),

Le Loup Solitaire
12-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Lee dippers do a reasonably good job although as stated, a little on the light side. The secret is in the method used to fill them;generally that is to push the dipper through once, shake once and strike off the top with a 3x5 card. I have made my own dippers as well, from fired pistol casings to throw whatever charges I needed. For the right charge to load use a good manual to guide you. A bottom line suggestion is simply that you cannot really manage the correct handling of powders without a good scale and a set of check weights to keep it honest. You can make the weights yourself as a set of them commercially made is a bit pricey. Its always better off safe than sorry. LLS

Battis
12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
If I don't get a scale for Xmas (how many hints can I leave?) I'll get one myself. The Store has several used RCBS beam scales that look really good for about $50. I got some sample cast bullets (15 - some lubed, some not) from a seller on Gunbroker and I want to try a few before I buy many. 34 grs H4895 seems to be a good starting load from what I've read.

MtGun44
12-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Yes, but do not approach maximum loads, leave yourself some headroom
for the inevitable variation. I scoop one, smooth, consistent scoop
sideways, swinging smoothly to vertical, then strike off for my most consistent
results. If ANYTHING feels different, dump it and rescoop. Quick and reasonably
accurate.

Try about 36-38 grains of IMR 4064, I think you will find this to be quite
nice in the K31 and the max is somewhere north of 44 grains so you will
be quite safe.

Bill

dualsport
12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I would like to see Lee come out with another dipper set intended for handguns and small charges. Start out around 2 gr. of Bullseye for instance. The dippers available now don't allow much flexibility in the real small charge end. I know, make my own. I do, but a nice set from Lee would be swell.

Char-Gar
12-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Lee dipper are easy to modify by filing off material from the top thereby reducing their capacity. The edges can be smoothed by several means. Of course you want to use a powder scale to determine what charge you are dipping. Of course, you then have to segregate and mark the modified dipper. They are very useful little gizmos.

mdi
12-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd highly suggest you use a scale to find out exactly what your dipping method throws. I've been using dippers since I started (Lee Loader in .38 Spec., in1969) and depending on the method you choose, charges can vary 1-1 1/2 grain. Sometimes I'll use the recommended method; push dipper backward and even top w/straight edge and sometimes I'll run the dipper through mouth first, sometimes I'll shake, and sometimes I'll tap. Which ever method you choose, you gotta do it exactly the same way every time and it's best to check your method with a scale. When I'm on a roll, I can hold .10 gr. of Bullseye, equal to my C-H 502 powder measure...

phonejack
12-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I keep a chart verified by a scale that shows what each dipper "throws" with the powder I use .

Huffmanite
12-25-2013, 02:25 PM
FWIW, when using Lee Dippers, you will have less problem throwing a consistent charge of powder by using a spherical type powder. Generally I use a set of 31 Lee Dippers I've made from other Lee dippers as suggested earlier for almost all my reloading. LOL, lots of time was spent with a couple of different digital scales determining the grains of powder my dippers would throw with my dip technique....have charted over 15 different rifle powders.

brassrat
12-26-2013, 10:57 PM
My rifle, dipper loads, go pretty quick and are exact. I use one of several dips and trickle up into the scale pan. It only takes a couple seconds. Pistol loads just get scooped and thru a funnel into 25 waiting cases. (Then they get examined well). My last session, with ACP, got a time of a little over 16 min/100. (or 4min/25) lol. These are on a single stage, Lee turret with no index.

jmort
12-27-2013, 12:22 AM
"I keep a chart verified by a scale that shows what each dipper "throws" with the powder I use ."

That is a good idea. The Lee Slide Rule Chart is a guideline.

Battis
12-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I got a scale and measured, a dozen times, what the 2.5cc dipper threw, with different techniques - scraping with a card, eye balling the contents, just dipping and measuring - and each dipper/scale measurement was close to the others, but never exactly the same (H4895). 33.7 grs, 33.5 grs, 34.1 grs, 34.3 grs., etc.
I'm concerned about safety as opposed to accuracy and since 34 grs of H4895 is listed as a low to medium charge for the 7.5x55, I think the dippers will be fine.
Unless I'm missing something.

Huffmanite
12-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Battis, your various grain readings when testing the 2.5cc Lee Dipper with H4895 is kinda typical when using a stick powder with Lee dippers. This is the reason I prefer spherical powders, have less variation with spherical. As you wrote, "I think the dippers will be fine," is true when it comes to safety. Its when you are concerned with extreme accuracy with your reload, the variation you listed would not be tolerated.

Battis
12-27-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't hunt or compete, and rarely shoot paper targets, but I do like to gong the gong at 100 yds and hit milk jugs at 200 yds. I just like these old Swiss rifles.

country gent
12-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Since you have a scales now look around for a powder trickler. Dip close to what you want dump into scale pan and trickle the last little bit in to what you want. A fired cleaned case with a little powder can be twisted between your fingers to "trickle" that last little bit in.

Battis
12-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Is the grouping difference between, say, 33.7 grs H4895 and 34 grs noticeable at 100 yds? The 7.5x55 is the first smokeless round I've reloaded (I've been shooting mostly BP for years).

perotter
12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Is the grouping difference between, say, 33.7 grs H4895 and 34 grs noticeable at 100 yds? The 7.5x55 is the first smokeless round I've reloaded (I've been shooting mostly BP for years).

It might be measurable, but not noticeable for the shooting you want to do. If you have the time to try it, use a combination of dippers. Say 2 dips with a 1cc and 1 dip with a 0.5cc.

Hang Fire
12-31-2013, 10:34 PM

Lets put it this way. I bought my first Lee Classic whackem loader with dipper back in the early 1960s. That is 50 years ago, I checked that aluminum dipper few months ago, it was still throwing the same 40 grain charge.

If the Lee Dippers were not safe and accurate, I doubt they would still be made and sold today.

jmort
12-31-2013, 10:40 PM
There is no safer way to reload. Static volume and no moving parts.

Battis
01-01-2014, 08:37 AM
The Lee collet dies came with a 2.8cc dipper and the included chart says that, with a 150 gr FMJ bullet, use 40 grs of H4895. I started mixing dippers to come up with the 40 grs (2.8cc is right around 38 grs).
Then I found a chart on the Swiss Rifles forum that listed 36.3 grs as a low powder charge, and goes up from there.
So, the 2.8cc dipper that Lee provided with the dies is less than their suggested 40 grs but still safe.

150 Hornady GMX, IB, SST, SP, BTSP, RN, BT-FMJ, H-4895 36.3 2,300
150 Hornady GMX, IB, SST, SP, BTSP, RN, BT-FMJ, H-4895 38.4 2,400

maximum load H-4895 44.6 2,700

William Yanda
01-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Lee dipper are easy to modify by filing off material from the top thereby reducing their capacity. The edges can be smoothed by several means. Of course you want to use a powder scale to determine what charge you are dipping. Of course, you then have to segregate and mark the modified dipper. They are very useful little gizmos.

The capacity can also be reduced by adding tape to the inside. The advantage of doing this is that the procedure is reversible. I cannot claim credit for this-I think I read it here.

Fishman
01-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I'll second Hoffmanite's suggestion of using spherical powder for better consistency. I've used lee dippers a lot in the past and still do some today. A friend wanted to load 30-06 and that was all. Set up with a safe load of winchester 748 and he's still loading with a dipper and hand press 20 years later. As I recall, no matter how that powder was dipped, as long as it was carded flat we were within .3 grain. I also loaded a lot of H110 with them. The charge tables really arent very accurate though. Maybe a friend will let you borrow a scale for a bit.

Battis
01-01-2014, 11:20 AM
I got a digital scale and I've been checking the loads that the dippers actually scoop, and like you said, each scoop is pretty close to the others.

jmort
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
For me, the dippers are accurate enough if you use a practiced repetitive technique. If you are anal or need more precision use a powder tickler as suggested.

adrians
01-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello, I have a set of red dippers that aren't marked in cc's but have a number i.e 020, 039, 052 ect,,ect.
Which came first the Yellow ones or the Red ones?.
happy new year,,,

jmort
01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Red first

longbow
01-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I've used Lee dippers for years and while I have had a scale for many years, it is quicker and easier to use dippers for plinking loads (mostly what I shoot). Some may agree and some may not but I have to say that Lee wouldn't be making and selling dipper kits if they didn't sell.

I do check the dippers using a scale to make sure they are throwing the correct charge. I can't recall how much variation I find but I will say up to a couple of grains. Some powders change considerably in density. I have some SR4756 that throws a significantly heavier charge than the Lee chart indicates.

So, use the Lee dippers but check with a scale if and when you get one and don't play to close to max. loads because both powder and technique may cause charge variations. Lighter is okay but heavier may not be.

Happy New Year by the way!

Longbow

jonas302
01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Is .3 grain going to matter to you shooting the gong at 100 no Your dipping looks just fine your not at max load or dealing with a tiny capacity pistol case there are a lot of other factors that will matter more than .3 grains of powder including just how accurate and repeatable your scale is Go out and give that gong a pounding

Dutchman
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
I scoop and tap sideways. I weighed all the powders I use so there's no worry. Don't use my numbers using your method of scooping.

http://images114.fotki.com/v74/photos/4/28344/9430776/photo-vi.jpg

This digital scale weighs to the 1/100th of a grain. More precise than most. But it pegs out at 350 grs. Got this straight from China for less than $20. Been happy with it.

http://images116.fotki.com/v695/photos/4/28344/12582412/photo-vi.jpg

Wolfer
01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I used to be fairly anal about weighing each charge. One day while testing some loads in my 338 win mag that had a 3 grain variation, 5 shots per load on each target. All shot well, just under moa. While looking at the targets later I noticed they all landed in the same spot in relation to the aim point.

I could have taken one cartridge from each loading with 3 gr of H4350 variation between them and still shot a group at moa or less. I've never worried about slight differences in powder since.

If I was loading at max then I certainly would be careful.

Also three grains difference in a 338 mag does not equal 3 grs in say a 30-30

If I wondered I'd deliberately load some loads with twice the variation that I got from my metering system and go shoot a group with them. This will affect some guns more than others. Woody

enfield
01-14-2014, 09:46 PM
are we to assume this is a k31 and not an 1889

Battis
01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
It's a Schmidt Rubin 96/11.

Old Two Wars
11-11-2022, 02:35 PM
I love lee dippers put in pan than trickle the rest for my varmint loads.just dip and check often for pistol.rember all muzzleloaders since way back use volume to load (i know black and smokeless use different ways to measure but look how many years they worked)

Alferd Packer
11-17-2022, 09:21 AM
The so called light charges the LEE dipper throws are by no means weak charges.
They are a touch light for safety, but I can assure you they are killers and will shoot thru anything you hit with them.
I have used dippers for years and made my own using a scale to weigh the charge produced.

racepres
11-17-2022, 10:20 AM
The so called light charges the LEE dipper throws are by no means weak charges.
They are a touch light for safety, but I can assure you they are killers and will shoot thru anything you hit with them.
I have used dippers for years and made my own using a scale to weigh the charge produced.
Technique will cause variation, ie... swiping fresh "dip" with business card Will result in lower charge weight.. "heaping" will result in slightly heavier charge... One Shake, or Bump??? two???? use your Scale to get yer technique.. Use whatever is Repeatable, for You

schutzen-jager
11-17-2022, 12:02 PM
decades ago Wiley Clapp wrote about this in Gun World magazine - his method gave very consistent + accurate charges - he filled a cup with powder, inserted dipper to bottom + scoop up with dipper over full, + than use a business card to strike of excess powder - been doing that way for more years than i can remember with no problems at all - i utilize both the red + yellow ones for most of my loading -

racepres
11-17-2022, 01:07 PM
^^^My Method and tools Exactly...^^^

Larry Gibson
11-17-2022, 02:23 PM

I've done that method but am preferring to use disc's cut from primer tray covers cut slightly over the inside diameter of the dipper. I push the discs into the bottom of the dipper with a dowel, punch or unsharpened pencil then weight several charges. One to several discs and even a couple discs of primter paper can pring the charge down to what is wanted. The discs are easily removed so no alteration of the dipper is done.

racepres
11-17-2022, 05:36 PM
I've done that method but am preferring to use disc's cut from primer tray covers cut slightly over the inside diameter of the dipper. I push the discs into the bottom of the dipper with a dowel, punch or unsharpened pencil then weight several charges. One to several discs and even a couple discs of primter paper can pring the charge down to what is wanted. The discs are easily removed so no alteration of the dipper is done.

Yes.. For Changing Volume...that works
For Technique... Striking off the Top works for me

Texas by God
11-17-2022, 06:44 PM
I dip powder from an aluminum cup with a tight copper wire strung through it for carding. It works great and I thank whoever I stole the idea from on CB!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

racepres
11-17-2022, 09:22 PM
Ingenious!!!

Milky Duck
11-18-2022, 01:14 AM
as long as you are using a middle of range load...the dipper method is fine and safe...folks did it for many years...it wont be bench rest accurate,but it sure will be average hunting range accurate...consistency is the key..same way each time,everytime.

racepres
11-18-2022, 09:47 AM
as long as you are using a middle of range load...the dipper method is fine and safe...folks did it for many years...it wont be bench rest accurate,but it sure will be average hunting range accurate...consistency is the key..same way each time,everytime.
Oddly ...Plenty of Bench Resters, Load at the Bench and "throw" all charges!!!

charlie b
11-18-2022, 10:37 AM
Yep, when I started reloading it was a few years before I could afford a scale. I was using the Lee hand dies (hammer reloading :) ). It was for .45acp so a bit forgiving in the load department. I'd pick a load half way between min and max and choose the closest dipper. Used as above. Probably loaded a thousand rounds this way before I got my first press and scale.

After I got a scale I'd make dippers. For the .45 I'd use .357/.38 cases and trim until I got the load I wanted and confirm on the scale. I didn't weigh individual charges until I loaded for rifles.

Texas by God
11-19-2022, 12:18 AM
Red firstAnd the black ones before the red ones? I'm fairly certain that I've seen those as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Mk42gunner
11-19-2022, 04:32 PM
The only black ones I have seen came in the shotgun loader kit for dipping shot. Both my .410 and 20 gauge Lee Loaders had black shot dippers.

Funny thing was the 3" .410 kit came with three dippers, none of which filled the cases correctly. As I remember they were 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 oz, when what I needed was 11/16 oz.

Somewhere in past years there was a long thread that explained all about the markings on Lee's plastic dippers, from arbitrary numbers to cubic inch to cubic centimeter.

Robert

Electrod47
11-19-2022, 07:11 PM

Geeez, I can't remember how many dippers I'v "modified". How come I never thought of that. Great tip, Thanks Larry

ulav8r
11-19-2022, 10:21 PM
I seem to remember that the set I bought in 1968 was black, but I have not seen them in a while. Have never seen any red ones.

Gray Fox
11-19-2022, 10:32 PM
Do any of you know if Lee ever updated the slide rule for the yellow dippers? There are powders listed there that I haven't heard of in 30 years. GF

charlie b
11-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Lee's data was all based on a cubic centimeter/grain measurement. Each powder had a density number. Each dipper was marked in cc. So, if you know the density of the powder you can figure out each dipper capacity, or find the cc you need for a given load. Lee also calibrates all of their powder measures in CC.

poorman
11-20-2022, 06:30 PM
LEE Dippers: Old (Black or Red) powder dippers vs New (Yellow) powder dippers
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258428-LEE-Dippers-Old-(Black-or-Red)-powder-dippers-vs-New-(Yellow)-powder-dippers

Milky Duck
11-20-2022, 06:33 PM
Do any of you know if Lee ever updated the slide rule for the yellow dippers? There are powders listed there that I haven't heard of in 30 years. GF

yes,you can buy a new set of yellow dippers along with slide rule all in a neat new box.... the slide rule fits neatly ontop of all the dippers inside the box...funny the same few dippers get used 90% of the time.

poorman
11-20-2022, 06:36 PM
Black dipper set
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165740832004?hash=item2696ec6504:g:4eQAAOSw-sVjTrwT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsFcKwOPa187ZAG5V4FqROAS3x0XDU rkDZRMlgcB5O%2BWucpyjmaqoroVuhkXRhjrQuBx9H6WkjFoT5 VT8q8WlZoCZMRnmiN8AOKk%2Fl1IKviTgkKoe%2BWGNPx6OQmP OqFw9Tj1OUqIIegOa4D0NFrgBdNynx4NXiD3WN695T%2BJKvNy deTnLmYvtvZklKW9wwM0blxk4Zp8nMjC77e%2ByngSa8W3e%2F N4bkv1p002iGvxFPElz%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7DJ5_KSYQ
Red
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314036244856?hash=item491e04d178:g:1pkAAOSw-0ZiqPwY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsIMa3cRRKw597j2OVSfsqsXG2eNLF U2JlgWcIFh%2FVfAtzNQlNry1Y6sDpNNMG%2BCX4BnuxOzpqpM %2BZvbRCg3RU6it2rIfgJYOSu6li%2FSCItW%2BLx20gF2zlk7 3Ywm6dO4LocGNaCHoZyUlQmJZ6TQdqMrnA5LVcMq9ALNGd%2FL W9eReizmx3Nm%2FHJWV%2B1hAvfGMyp4J07TpsM%2Bi0z616HC YMljCSWNQFQBZbZVfrnN3mZxF%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR67J5_KSYQ

Adam Helmer
11-21-2022, 05:36 PM
Dippers are fine, but GET a Scale and KNOW what you really are loading. Powder Lots differ in density over time. A scale is consistent.
Adam

schutzen-jager
11-22-2022, 08:44 AM
jmho - variables exist in both beam + electronic scales - many different conditions affect their consistency -

racepres
11-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Dippers are fine, but GET a Scale and KNOW what you really are loading. Powder Lots differ in density over time. A scale is consistent.
Adam

Exactly... use a Scale to check your Dipper Volume vs Weight (technique) ..and Go with it!!!
Or sit around with Tweezers counting .005 grain increments...

TNsailorman
11-22-2022, 11:32 AM
I use dippers more than I use a powder measure. But, I use a scale to adjust the charge before dropping it into the case. I weigh each and every powder charge I put into a case, both handgun and rifle. I really like and use the lee dippers and consider them one of the best ideas Lee ever came up with. my .02 anyway, james

racepres
11-22-2022, 03:12 PM
I use dippers more than I use a powder measure. But, I use a scale to adjust the charge before dropping it into the case. I weigh each and every powder charge I put into a case, both handgun and rifle. I really like and use the lee dippers and consider them one of the best ideas Lee ever came up with. my .02 anyway, james

Each their Own... No way I do all that.. Hell...I prolly aint a good enough Shot to tell any Difference!!!
I did do a 3/8", 5 shot group, at 100yds...Once, with my 10" Contender in 357 Herrett.. when I was Much younger...and could see pretty darn good!!!
Betting those Charges were Not Weighed..

scottyp99
12-01-2022, 07:27 PM
Since you have a scales now look around for a powder trickler. Dip close to what you want dump into scale pan and trickle the last little bit in to what you want. A fired cleaned case with a little powder can be twisted between your fingers to "trickle" that last little bit in.

This is how I use dippers. You don't have to spend the time setting up the powder measure, you just pick the right dipper and use the trickler to top it up on the scale. You have to use the trickler with the powder measure anyway, if you want really precise powder charges, so the dipper actually saves you a little time. And, I think a set of dippers is way cheaper than a powder measure, so ya got that going for you as well.

Scotty.

scottyp99
12-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Each their Own... No way I do all that.. Hell...I prolly aint a good enough Shot to tell any Difference!!!
I did do a 3/8", 5 shot group, at 100yds...Once, with my 10" Contender in 357 Herrett.. when I was Much younger...and could see pretty darn good!!!
Betting those Charges were Not Weighed..

Yeah, you can get away with a few tenths of a grain difference in powder charges, especially so the bigger the charge is. I weigh every charge mostly for peace of mind. I'm not in a real big hurry when I reload, I don't shoot enough to need massive quantities of ammunition in a hurry. I'm not married and I don't have any kids, so I have the time. It works for me. I'm not worried about over charging a case because my powder measure had a hiccup. What I worry about is making sure I'm actually using the powder I think I'm using! LOL! HP38 looks an awful lot like H110, and if you think you're loading H110 but it's actually HP38, you could be in for a nasty surprise!
It's a safe hobby if you pay attention to what you're doing, so let's be careful out there, folks.

Scotty

Alferd Packer
12-02-2022, 03:36 AM
A dipper is just a nonadjustable powder measure that can be custom made by you to throw a specific load with a specific powder

What more could you want?

Alferd Packer
12-02-2022, 03:50 AM
A dipper is just a nonadjustable powder measure that can be custom made by you to throw a specific load with a specific powder

What more could you want?
I use a dip and pull out with a sidewise shake and pour.
Get scale and dip ten charges with the same sideways shake.
Weigh it and divide by ten.
Try it a few times and you
Will see that it is so close that it doesn't matter.

Chena
01-06-2023, 07:57 PM
I bought an early set of the yellow dippers with the slide rule almost 40 years ago. It still has a place on my loading bench. Also bought a Lee Perfect Powder Measure when they were a new thing and darned if it still gets used nearly as much as my RCBS. Both are really handy for dropping a slightly underweight charge into the scale pan which then gets topped off using a powder trickler.
Using a consistent technique with the dippers for rifle loads I usually get one grain of variation or less even with coarse stick powders.

Firearm Nut
05-22-2023, 01:13 PM
Hello, I have a set of red dippers that aren't marked in cc's but have a number i.e 020, 039, 052 ect,,ect.
Which came first the Yellow ones or the Red ones?.
happy new year,,,

The Red dippers I believe came first they are measure in cubic inches. When the yellow came out they were measured in cubic centimeters. In the yellow dippers the value under the "1" reflects the number of grains in one cubic centimeter for each powder in the chart. There is a chart that can be used that convert the number of cubic inches in each Red dipper to cubic centimeters. You simply take the Red cubic centimeter value of each dipper and multiple it by the grain amount under the "1" dipper of the Yellow and it will give you the number of grains the Red dipper throws. It's useful if there are newer powders in the Yellow chart that aren't in the Red chart

hoodat
05-22-2023, 01:20 PM
AND make sure you are using the dipper data for your H4895 and not IMR4895. They are different. jd

Alferd Packer
05-25-2023, 11:10 AM
Dippers are fine.
But no scale to verify,or loading recipes is not the way to go.

Larry Gibson
05-25-2023, 12:05 PM
The Red dippers I believe came first they are measure in cubic inches. When the yellow came out they were measured in cubic centimeters. In the yellow dippers the value under the "1" reflects the number of grains in one cubic centimeter for each powder in the chart. There is a chart that can be used that convert the number of cubic inches in each Red dipper to cubic centimeters. You simply take the Red cubic centimeter value of each dipper and multiple it by the grain amount under the "1" dipper of the Yellow and it will give you the number of grains the Red dipper throws. It's useful if there are newer powders in the Yellow chart that aren't in the Red chart

Have had a set of black Lee dippers since the late '60s.

wksimple
05-25-2023, 10:44 PM
Have had a set of black Lee dippers since the late '60s.

Like these?

Larry Gibson
05-26-2023, 09:35 AM
Exactly like those......

Alferd Packer
06-29-2023, 10:34 AM
I love reloading and the associated fun.

braddock
07-13-2023, 08:48 AM
I recently started using dippers and was pleasantly surprised by the consistency they give which may be down to the technique I use.
Howsumever I got really frustrated when loading 38 sp as the loads thrown in my chosen powder (Lovex D036 a ball powder about equivalent to unique) I modified several dippers but would advise against modifying the bevelled edge, my method was the make up some plastic steel and pour it into a degreased dipper. If it throws light I just cut some of the plastic steel away with a suitably sized end mill - I use a 6mm one which just fits inside the 0.5 cc dipper and the amount of powder thrown can be accurately established against a digital scale.
It seems to work, about 15 - 20 ish fps variation in velocity measured with my magnetospeed and 2" groups at 50 yards with both my 30/30 and 357 lever guns.
I load squibs in 30/30 with 120 grain cast and just download the 357 with the same bullet, lee 158 grn rnfp, I have loads that go from 800 fps up through 1600 in 357 and nearly 1950 with a gc in 30/30. I use LLA lub and the muzzles are always smudged, easier to see on the stainless 357 but gets my thumb dirty on the 30/30. Pic around somewhere of the 30 cal boolits I use.
Just my 2p315914

WILCO
07-21-2023, 07:07 PM
Did the OP get a scale yet?

Love the LEE Dippers too.
Great fun for loading at the range.