PDA

View Full Version : Slugs for the Vepr-12

g3a3a1
12-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I am fairly new to reloading as a whole (only started about a year ago) and completly new to reloading shells. However I recently got a Vepr-12 and I would like to start reloading slugs for it. At $6 for a box of 5 its way out of my price range to shoot these things without reloading so that it why I would like to start reloading. However the Vepr is somewhat picky on what it will reliably cycle, it is designed for 3 inch shells so it will only cycle higher pressure 2.75 shells (I have been able to get 1220 FPS to cycle in it however slower than that and it will not cycle). That being the case, another concern of mine if leading in the barrel. The action is basically that of an AK, and as a result I am worried about leading in the gas system. Will that be an issue on this since it is a shotgun? I know leading must be taken into consideration when reloading for rifles with a gas system.

Sorry if this is an incoherent post, I am just trying to cover every base I can before I attempt to reload for it.

If anyone is curious I am getting about 4 inch groups at 50yds with 2.75 remington "slugger" slugs with 1oz weight at 1560fps

tomme boy
12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I had a Saiga 20ga from the ban era. When the ban expired, I converted it over to pistol grip configuration. If I remember right, these guns have a tighter bore than American guns. I loaded all kinds of slugs for mine and never had a problem. It liked the Winchester slugs the best. They do have an adjustable gas system. Have you played with that?

g3a3a1
12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
The Vepr's do not have an adjustable gas system, it is "self regulating" which means its wide open all the time. I have a few saboted slugs but I have yet to shoot them out of it since I have always read saboted slugs work better in rifled barrels.

FullTang
12-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Get a Lee slug mold for around $20 and you'll never look back! Even if you have to buy lead, these slugs only cost about 10 cents apiece to cast; if you can get scrap lead for free, you can have free slugs. I cast the 7/8 and 1 oz slugs, as well as the .69 round ball (1-1/8 oz), and love shooting them. Leading isn't an issue with the slugs, since they sit in a plastic wad---no bore contact at all. The round ball can be loaded in a wad, but I usually put them in a fiber cushion wad; this allows them to lightly engage rifling, and I find them quite accurate out of a rifled barrel. If you think you need a heavier load to cycle your gun, you might want to start with the 1 oz Lee slug, then you can experiment with different loads. You certainly don't need full-power hunting loads to cycle most guns, but you can load those if you need to. I find that the 7/8 slug at 1300 fps cycles my autoloader every time.