PDA

View Full Version : Mother of all stuck breech plugs...any suggestions?

hornady308
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
The other day I came across a Knight "Black Knight" that was being sold for $25. The seller said it had a stuck breech plug. Challenge accepted! So I got it home and soaked the breech plug from inside the barrel for two days, then attempted to remove it using a knight breech tool that I just happened to have lying around. The breech plug is the original type used by Knight that accepts #11 nipples. The plug was mangled, but I figured I could get it out one way or another. I was wrong. First, I tried the Knight tool, but the plug is so messed up I can't get a good purchase on the plug face. No problem. With the nipple removed, I planned to use a hardened extractor. Now, the tip of the extractor has joined with the plug in the rebellion. I guess I applied too much pressure and it snapped off flush with the nipple hole. Then I thought of using a heat gun to help loosen the plug, but it occurred to me that I hadn't checked to make sure the barrel was unloaded. Upon checking, I felt an obstruction. I eventually removed a bullet removal screw that had been lodged in a bullet. The bullet was still down there and it turned out to be the most difficult bullet I've ever pulled. It weighs 380 grains and has a hollow base. There was no powder charge, so I guess this explains how this whole mess started. With the bullet out, I used more penetrant and let it soak overnight. I then heated the breech plug area for 15 minutes and again tried the Knight tool, but nothing budged. So, what to try next? Despite the stuck plug the rest of the gun is in excellent condition.

John Allen
12-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I would soak it with kroil for two days or so. If that does not work heat.

Omnivore
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Thermal shock (heating and quenching) and mechanical shock (the right hammer might jangle it loose - something relatively light weight, swinging at high velocity) are two other weapons in your arsenal. Drill it out larger and use a bigger extractor, attached to an impact driver. Or drill the whole thing out and use a tap to remove the plug threads. Or cut the barrel and plug off completely, then re-bore and re-thread the barrel. Or squeeze the barrel at the breech in a vice, hard enough to distort it, but not permanantly, then do it again at 90 degrees to the first squeeze, to help break the plug threads from the barrel threads. Thermal shock, hammering and squeezing - different methods for doing essentially the same thing.

And; there are two kinds of muzzleloader shooters - those who have dry-balled and those who will.

hornady308
12-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Other than being stuck, the problem is I have very little to grab onto when trying to remove the barrel. The front of the plug is absolutely mangled, and with the extractor (easy-out) broken off in the nipple hole, there is nothing to grab a hold of. I did just get a 220v MIG welder, so maybe I could weld a large hex wrench to the plug. Might that work?

Outpost75
12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Dexron ATF and acetone is cheaper than and actually works better than Kroil.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-penetrating-oil-196347/
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/benefit-to-do-a-long-kroil-presoak/21737/page1/

The article comparing various penetrates was in the April 2007 issue of Machinist Workshop Magazine. They arranged a subjective test of all of the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a scientifically rusted environment.
Penetrant: Average Load:
none 516 ft lbs
WD40 238
PB Blaster 214
Liquid Wrench 127
Kano Kroil 106
ATF-Acetone mix 53!!

For those too lazy to do the atf/acetone mix note that Liquid Wrench results were close to Kroil at 1/4 the price

hornady308
12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm using the Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil. Might have to try the ATF-Acetone mix if nothing else works.

Pb2au
12-16-2013, 03:48 PM
+1 on the ATF and acetone. Fill it and let it soak for a couple of days. Relax, contemplate the universe. Then empty out the ATF/Acetone and lay some heat to it.
Is it possible to weld a nut to the Knight tool? If so, do it and that will allow you to put a proper wrench on it. While you are turning it slowly, get someone to tap on the end of the knight tool. This will aid in keeping the nubs engaged in the breech plug. Repeat. Just be patient!

Fly
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Keep us posted on how thing went.

Fly

Col4570
12-17-2013, 07:22 AM
I have had some success in the past doing it this way.Heat up a Pet food can of Auto Engine oil to smoking hot.(if it ignites put a flat plate over it)Stand the barrel End in the hot oil and leave overnight.Repeat the next day then try to turn the plug out.Good luck.
Sometimes if you cant get a purchase on the plug due to mangled ends or squares it is a good idea to make a key that fits a drill press so that you can bear down on the key whilst you attempt to turn it.

shredder
12-17-2013, 08:59 AM
How hard is it to pull the barrel? Looks like the breech area is taking some hits. If you can get the barrel out in the open you will have an easier time. I am not sure if Knight threads their barrels into the reciever or not.

nhrifle
12-17-2013, 11:33 AM
If you can get access to a lathe and carbide bits, drilling through the center of the plug may relieve enough tension to break whatever corrosion is holding the plug in place and allow you to spin it out.

BTW, Easy-Outs were misnamed and do that exact thing to me. I avoid them like the plague.

bhn22
12-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Thermal cycle the old girl. Heat with fire :-P, then cool with ice, or even dry ice. Repeat a few times, then see how much fight it has left in it. You may need to weld a nut, or an old socket extension to the plug to get enough purchase to remove it.

OnHoPr
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Possible try. Since you've been soaking it with whatever penetrators put it in a vise and heat up the barrel/action around the breach plug just enough to get it hot but try leave the plug on the cooler side. Then take a small semi dull cold chisel and ball peen and using light taps try to loosen it. You may also try lightly but firm taps from down the barrel and through the breach before trying to use the small cold chisel. The cold chisel should be keen enough to stay in place but not necessarily cut the breach plug metal.

KCSO
12-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Chuck it up and drill and bore it out and fresh up the threads. Then fit a new breech plug.

Toad
12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
If you call the compamy they will tell you how to send it bsck to there gun smith they say he can get it out his time and a new plug are under 100.00

Col4570
12-21-2013, 03:42 AM
KCSO,Is Right and it would,nt take long.

skeettx
12-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Liquid nitrogen down the barrel, remove, done!
Be careful not to get a frost burn
Mike

BCgunworks
12-21-2013, 08:58 AM
I normally just drill them out on the lathe then use an easy out.

bhn22
12-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Is it out yet?

rlb
12-27-2013, 12:46 AM
We're waiting. :popcorn:

Pb2au
01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Me too.:coffeecom
I just went through this with an el cheapo inline a friend of my dad's jacked up. Three days of soaking and a homemade tool plus some cursing finally got it out.
My dad's friend didn't know how to unload it so he put it out in his garage for a few months.....