PDA

View Full Version : Promo Powder + Fed Hulls + Win209 Primers

weweber3
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
The Alliant website shows ZERO loads for this combination (Fed Hulls and Win Primers)... really?

Seems like all of their loads are Fed Primers + Fed Hulls or Win Primers + Win Hulls or Rem Primers + Rem Hulls.

Being new, I have lots of hull types (from a local gun club) but only Win209 primers.

Do I have ANY options with Fed Hulls, Win Primers and Promo? If not, looks like I'll be stocking up on Fed Primers... if I can find them.

I also don't see loads on Alliant's website for Cheddite, Nobel or Rio which I can sometimes find locally. Grrrr.

Thank you.

FullTang
12-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi weweber3,

This is a little quirk of Alliant---most of their load data are based on the same brand primer and hull (so, Fed primer with Fed hull.) Now, all primers are not alike, but Federal 209A primers are always the hottest primers around, so you can always substitute any other primer, and the pressure will always be lower (CCI 209 Magnum is the only one that's close.) With slower powders, this could lead to a poor powder burn, but since Promo is quite fast, it should only lower the PSI and FPS slightly (but it will definitely be lower.) Go ahead and use these recipes with a Win 209, you should be fine.

FullTang

evan price
12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I use only winchester primers regardless of recipe. The experts say I will blow myself up but I dont. There us a difference but not enough I care to worry ,at 1200 fps theres a lot of leeway. Promo loads to red dot by weight. Its the only powder I use for shotshell.
I dont use federal hulls because all my hulls come from the barrels at trap range and the cardboard basewad plus moisture is bad.

weweber3
12-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Good info, thank you.

Is there any definitive list of "hottest" to "least hottest" with regard to primers?

KYCaster
12-16-2013, 10:29 PM
I find Alliant's on line reloading guide to be next to useless. They had much more data in the little pamphlets that were free for the asking at the LGS or from the manufacturer.

The ones I have from Herculese had data for most of the hulls available at the time with a variety of wads and primers.

I don't know if they're still available (all mine are over 10 years old), but it may be worth a call to find out.

Good luck.
Jerry

FullTang
12-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Good info, thank you.

Is there any definitive list of "hottest" to "least hottest" with regard to primers?
This is the guy everyone always quotes: http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/bargainprimer.htm
I think this is a little out of date, and some of these primers have been reformulated a few times since this was published, but still a useful comparison. The Euro primer makers have been trying to make their primers more like Win 209s over the last few years, so the differences seem to be decreasing all the time---but Fed 209A is still the hottest by far.

weweber3
12-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Great. I will read that.

Thanks again.