PDA

View Full Version : December Grilling in Single Digit Cold

Shiloh
12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
5˚ when I put them on, -1 when I took them off. I used a combo of indirect heat with the side firebox contributing mesquite smoke.
Took 5 hours. My first attempt at cold weather grilling and it was a success. -1˚ when I took them off.

Shiloh

Artful
12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
If you don't hurry to get them indoors - do you wind up with cold cuts?

DougGuy
12-15-2013, 09:32 PM
LOL @ Artful :bigsmyl2:

MaryB
12-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I used to cook outdoors all winter but now the arthritis says no. On a warmish day no wind I will but at 1 degree? Nope no way no how..

Shiloh
12-15-2013, 11:49 PM
You inspired me MaryB. We live in the same neck of the woods. I would go out about every half hour to see if the temp was still holding. The wood stove was fired up so I would go into a 72 degree basement living room. Open the hearth door if I needed to. Had to add coals and ectra pieces of mesquite and oak to keep the heat up. It was a lot of work but I was hankering for BBQ ribs. The bride was thrilled.

There was about an inch of simmering cider left over in a Bush's bean can when I took them off. Set it over the coals to moisturize, and removed it when I took the meat off. 25 minutes later, it was slushing up. When I emptied the coals and put the grill away about an hour and a half later the cider was frozen. Currently 4˚. The temp is actually rising.

Shiloh

Uncle Jimbo
12-15-2013, 11:59 PM
I grill all winter all the time. Just don't spend as much time outside while doing it as in the summer.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2013, 06:51 AM
mines put away for the winter. to hard to shovel snow on the deck with it in the way. I also wouldnt have enough back straps left for grilling in the summer.

ultramag
12-16-2013, 07:03 AM
I've done a lot of smoking in the winter cold. The actual temperature won't affect a cooker near as much as a good wind will. Way to go on getting it done in the winter Shiloh.....BBQ is a year round sport! :bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
12-16-2013, 08:42 AM
I use mine all year. I had the smoker out on a cold windy day a few weeks ago. It added about three hours to the cook time. So I didn't eat until 9pm. Lesson learned :)

Shiloh
12-16-2013, 11:21 AM
The wind here in is constant. I sheltered my pit as best as I could between the fence and the garage. The wind swirls and eddy's. Objects other than people aren't affected by wind chill, but a -9˚ wind chill doesn't help.
Doing a steak, burgers, brats, etc., is a cinch. Anything that requires longer, lower temp cook times are affected.

This is where gas grill really shine. The trade off, at least for me anyway, is taste.

Shiloh

Jailer
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I grill all winter all the time. Just don't spend as much time outside while doing it as in the summer.

Ditto. It's also our back up cooking source should the power go out.

mines put away for the winter. to hard to shovel snow on the deck with it in the way.

The actual temperature won't affect a cooker near as much as a good wind will.

That's why you do it in the garage. With the door closed. Gets interesting with the smoker by the time your food is done. :bigsmyl2:

Changeling
12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
5˚ when I put them on, -1 when I took them off. I used a combo of indirect heat with the side firebox contributing mesquite smoke.
Took 5 hours. My first attempt at cold weather grilling and it was a success. -1˚ when I took them off.

Shiloh

Shiloh are those country style ribs or a sliced up rack of ribs? They sure look delicious. I'm so dam tired of chicken everything/anything I can't see straight!! Looks to me like you did a fine job regardless of what Artful said........... However that was funny as all Heck, LOLAL.

Also I really like that outdoor thermometer you have, it's a good brand. I think I will see if I can find one here in Maryland.

Shiloh
12-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Boneless country style. $1.99 a pound. Bone in ribs were $2.69.

Go figure.

Shiloh

Uncle Jimbo
12-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Boneless country style. $1.99 a pound. Bone in ribs were $2.69.

Go figure.

Shiloh

There is no way to figure it out. Just be glad you got the good deal.
And they look great. Wish I was there when they came off the grill.
;)

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2013, 10:21 AM
in fact i do all of my smoking in cold weather. Its cold here after deer season is done so theres not much choise. keeps me busy for at least one month out of the winter.
I've done a lot of smoking in the winter cold. The actual temperature won't affect a cooker near as much as a good wind will. Way to go on getting it done in the winter Shiloh.....BBQ is a year round sport! :bigsmyl2:

reloader28
12-17-2013, 12:03 PM
We grill and smoke year round. I built a tool room (in the fall its a 6 deer cooling room) next to my reloading room in the man cave. I have a gas BBQ grill in there mainly because the wind destroyed our old grill. I built a box fan into a sheet metal chute/hood above the grill and vent it up and outside.
I can move the grill aside and put the smoker under the fan. I smoked a batch of fish and 30lbs of summer sausage last week at -10* outside.

I can also move the grill aside and cast boolits on a flip up table mounted behind the grill. the smoke gets sucked right out the vent/hood.
It dont catch all the smoke, about 80% or so. But it makes a HUGE difference especially if I can open the outside door. Now that I know how, I would make the hood a foot wider and make it deeper inside. It should catch 95%+ of the smoke then.

Artful
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Got a picture of that hood reloader28?

reloader28
12-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Artful, it took awhile, but here are some pictures of the hood.
Nothing fancy, but it works. The square box fan works good, but I had to cut a piece of plywood to fit under it because the square corners really played with the smoke for some reason.

This is also where I smoke meat and cast boolits.

Bullshop Junior
12-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Artful, it took awhile, but here are some pictures of the hood.
Nothing fancy, but it works. The square box fan works good, but I had to cut a piece of plywood to fit under it because the square corners really played with the smoke for some reason.

This is also where I smoke meat and cast boolits.

If you put a small ventalation fan in there it would probably make a huge difforance.

reloader28
12-21-2013, 01:46 PM
This is what I had to work with. It gets almost all the smoke out.
Its in the back corner room of the garage anyway, and I can open the outside door right beside the grill.

Shiloh
12-21-2013, 07:00 PM
OUTSTANDING reloader28 !! That looks like just the ticket for cold weather grilling/smoking.

Shiloh