PDA

View Full Version : Kids nowadays.

waksupi
12-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I went to our mountain man association dinner last night. As usual, the women took over the dining room area, and all of the guys were in the basement man cave. There were a half dozen teenagers playing games in the living room.
Down in the man cave, we were telling stories of our adventures in the mountains, and cowboying.
The host's daughter came down stairs to get something, and she stopped as she was going back upstairs, came back down, and sat down to listen to what was being said. There were some hilarious stories of things we had done, that we were probably lucky to survive.
About twenty minutes went by, and her girlfriends came looking for her. They were typical giggly girls, and were laughing and talking as they came down stairs.
The first girl shushed them, and had them sit down to listen. It only took about ten minutes for the boys to come looking for them, and they also ended up sitting, and listening to the stories. None of them said hardly a word for over two hours, but were rolling with laughter.
So, I guess even old farts can still entertain kids!

fishhawk
12-15-2013, 02:03 PM
And all the stories were true no one from the FFT or ONWC would tell a fib hell we all was there to see it happen!

Doc Highwall
12-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Sounds like everyone had a great time.

DRNurse1
12-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Oral History, even if romanticized a bit, is the finest art form. Kudos to you and the Mountain Men of yore.

Thumbcocker
12-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I truly believe that regardless of p/c and other bs women are attracted to men. They can sense the real deal. Pretty boys playing video games aren't it.

smoked turkey
12-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Stories like this give me heart that we have not totally lost our youth as it pertains to our wonderful hobbies of shooting, reloading, and hunting. Heck I wish I'd been there to hear the stories! I agree that these outdoor activities are the real deal to kids and they will really respond if we will take the time to involve them.

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Question is, who's gonna fill your shoes?

I guess some will reminisce of perilous adventures beating Max Payne III, Halo, WOW, or Cryonet, but somehow it won't be the same.

Gear

uncle joe
12-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Hey Ric
We need a like button on here!!
Maybe there is hope for the future other than video games!

fishhawk
12-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Many of us (not me) have kids that have grown up doing this "buckskinning" thing from the age when they started crawling around in the lodge and have grown up and have kids of there own and following right along in our steps going to rondevous and BP shoots (and pulling pranks) along with us greybeards. Some of the pranks we pulled are classic ( who would ever forget the coronation of the earl of orange) or the toboggan runs at wintercamp oh so many stories.......

waksupi
12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
With this bunch, we don't need to stretch the truth, as the truth itself is almost unbelievable at times. Just about every story had witnesses that had participated in the events. When you have a bunch of old trappers, packers, guides and hunters, there are plenty of ready made tales to tell!

runfiverun
12-15-2013, 04:57 PM
they don't gotta tell about it they took a snip of it off the play-back and uploaded it to the U-tube.

smokeywolf
12-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Ric, doesn't surprise me a bit. Stands to reason that a group of fellas from the old guard, who still believe in the old ways, courtesies and standards of behavior would have children and grandchildren who are polite, respectful and open to listening and learning about the things you've done and the adventures you've had.

smokeywolf

shooter93
12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I think there are more kids around to fill the shoes Gear than most people think. Keep in mind our parents generation wondered the same things about us, remember the evil rock and roll? I know it doesn't seem so at times but I still find them around. I've spun my share of "adventures" and even now many years later my nieces or nephews will ask for a repeat and even add a tale of their own. Kids all tied to tech stuff completely is a myth. More of them listen and learn than most realize.

blackthorn
12-15-2013, 07:57 PM
With this bunch, we don't need to stretch the truth, as the truth itself is almost unbelievable at times. Just about every story had witnesses that had participated in the events. When you have a bunch of old trappers, packers, guides and hunters, there are plenty of ready made tales to tell!

Somebody should write all those stories down, cause when we are gone who will pass them along? My Grandaughter asked me to do just that a couple of years ago. Filling her request took me the better part of a year. Got the final result sprial bound and had several copies made. I was surprised and very pleased when my step grand kids and my step kids asked if they could have copies. The final product wound up being a sort of anecdotal life history with a good deal of ancestry thrown in. Went over big time!

Love Life
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Question is, who's gonna fill your shoes?

I guess some will reminisce of perilous adventures beating Max Payne III, Halo, WOW, or Cryonet, but somehow it won't be the same.

Gear

Does getting all the trophies in Call of Duty count?

white eagle
12-15-2013, 08:22 PM
seems that the days are a changin
it took only one girl before all the others followed suit
great day when the women get involved in hunting and the outdoors

10x
12-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Pretty much how I grew up with no television, telephone, radio, or video games. Any time there was a family gathering or social in the community the adults would tell stories and gossip - some of the gossip was very accurate as to the interesting events that unfolded over the past year. Some of the really good stories got repeated year after year with no embellishment or added detail. Folks would remind the story teller of detail left out.
We learned about our past and the adventures that the folks had - those adventures were part of life that had to be dealt with - they sure made for interesting listening.
We found out who was good, who was bad, and who to watch out for, not to mention who would help in a time of need.
And we also found out what not to do as some real disasters unfolded.
Some stories could not be told because of respect for some of the people in the room who were involved - the death of a child, or a mother or father. Or the young man who was crushed by a truck box when a hydrolic valve failed...., or the young fellow who was gored and trampled by the neighbors bull....

Idaho Mule
12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Ahhh, the stories of past wrecks and adventures. No wonder we walk the way we do. It is fun to see the big eyes on the kids though as a bunch of old hands swap tales and I believe they learn from it. How do ya do that smiley thing? and the beer toasting thing? JW

xs11jack
12-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Yea, we have all had adventures. Someone once said that the definition of an adventure is a lack of planning. I've done that often enough.
Ole Jack

Bzcraig
12-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Oral History, even if romanticized a bit, is the finest art form. Kudos to you and the Mountain Men of yore.

Yes, indeed! And hopefully them youngins learn as well as laughed.

10x
12-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Yea, we have all had adventures. Someone once said that the definition of an adventure is a lack of planning. I've done that often enough.
Ole Jack

Most of my adventures are a result of the best laid plans not accounting for a Murphy factor (What ever can go wrong will, and much that can never possibly go wrong does...)
Of course this can work in a good way. I once packed about 15 pounds of rain gear and extra clothing for an August fishing trip to the Alaska panhandle to discover that every day was 85F or hotter and there was no rain when usually it rains about 2" a day.
On the other hand I have planned day trips that didn't need shelter or a sleeping bag that have lasted up to 3 days due to unplanned complications... None of them involving redheads and warm beds....

10x
12-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Ole Jack

Most of my adventures are a result of the best laid plans not accounting for a Murphy factor (What ever can go wrong will, and much that can never possibly go wrong does...)
Of course this can work in a good way. I once packed about 15 pounds of rain gear and extra clothing for an August fishing trip to the Alaska panhandle to discover that every day was 85F or hotter and there was no rain when usually it rains about 2" a day.
On the other hand I have planned day trips that didn't need shelter or a sleeping bag that have lasted up to 3 days due to unplanned complications... None of them involving redheads and warm beds....

jonp
12-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I truly believe that regardless of p/c and other bs women are attracted to men. They can sense the real deal. Pretty boys playing video games aren't it.
My sweetie actually said to me on Sunday "thanks for being a man" after seeing several metro's in the WalMart.

10x
12-17-2013, 10:12 AM
My sweetie actually said to me on Sunday "thanks for being a man" after seeing several metro's in the WalMart.

Photos of Walmart shoppers - proof that they do walk among us....

btroj
12-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Man, that is unfortunate. From the looks of things this all happened twice?:killingpc

10x
12-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Man, that is unfortunate. From the looks of things this all happened twice?:killingpc

Sadly a redhead and a warm bed have never happened, my wife will not allow that.

Most of the unexpected that I have experienced in the woods comes as a result of a "leader" who says "I've got it covered". I have learned that I have to carry enough gear to cover the unexpected. And I carry my own gear on my own atv or snowmobile - that way it does not leave without me, or get left behind if I have a duty outside of camp.
I have discovered that the guys who want to be in command are usually not smart enough or competent enough to be in command - the hard way...
And a leader who will not listen to experience will lead into disaster.

btroj
12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I was giving you a hard time about a double post.

Survival gear that isn't with you is worthless. Get lost in the woods on foot and gear in your truck doesn't do you much good.

I am a firm believer that each person going into the wilderness should look out for themselves. Depending upon others is a sure fire way to get disappointed.....

10x
12-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I was giving you a hard time about a double post.

Survival gear that isn't with you is worthless. Get lost in the woods on foot and gear in your truck doesn't do you much good.

I am a firm believer that each person going into the wilderness should look out for themselves. Depending upon others is a sure fire way to get disappointed.....

Double post, interesting - but weird.
You are absolutely right about not depending on others to have the right gear.
There is nothing like having the guy designated to light a fire asking for matches or a lighter to do so.

bhn22
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
This can't be true, real life adventures outdoing Facebook and text messages?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRibRj770J8

John Allen
12-17-2013, 12:20 PM
They where probably thinking that those old farts had to ride horses because they did not have cars :smile:

10x
12-17-2013, 01:28 PM
They where probably thinking that those old farts had to ride horses because they did not have cars :smile:

That is a fact..
I am old enough to have experience the last of the horse farming in Northern Alberta. My formative years were spent around work horses - large, quiet, docile animals.
My dad who farmed with horses until then would constantly remind me - " a horse will kill you, even if the horse does not intend to kill you..." and he would mention that they had a brain the size of a walnut and would react with instinct rather than thought. The hind feet of a horse will hit you before the horse realizes he has kicked. Sort of a "kick first, look to see what you kicked later..." thing