PDA

View Full Version : Does Lee safety prime on Classic Single Stage work on Turret?

ghh3rd
12-15-2013, 12:46 AM
I have a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press that came with the Lee Large and Small Safety Prime. I am going to move up to the Lee 4-hole turret press.

Does anyone know if the safety prime system that dangles from the Classic press is the same as fits the Turret press? I'd like to avoid spending for something that I may already have.

Thanks,

Randy

Sweetpea
12-15-2013, 12:47 AM
There is a small bracket that you will need.

Brandon

TES
12-15-2013, 01:00 AM
is this similar to the set up that the Indian guy did? If so it could be lethal.

el34
12-15-2013, 01:28 AM
is this similar to the set up that the Indian guy did? If so it could be lethal.

That sounds like the teaser you'd hear just before the commercial comes on.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-15-2013, 01:33 AM
When I owned both the Lee Classic Cast single stage and the Classic Turret, I bought the safety prime system separate. The Lee Classic Turret comes with the bracket needed to accept the safety prime.

One thing you will need to buy is an auto disk riser for the powder measure in order to clear the safety prime. I suggest using the Pro Auto Disk if you don't already have one. They are a very nice powder measure if set up and tuned properly.

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 01:43 AM
The Classic Turret should come with a bracket just made for the Safety Prime. Be sure and put the triangle washer UNDER the bracket or you'll have to lower the ram a titch to deposit the primer properly. BTW the Safety Prime and the LCT is the way I prime just about everything now, even when batch loading, unless I'm using a progressive.

Gear

NWPilgrim
12-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Yes the Safety Prime works perfectly on the Classic Turret Press. I think it seats better than my RCBS hand priming tool. I can't remember the last time I used my hand primer. This is one of the best innovations from Lee, simple, inexpensive and works beautifully. I ended up getting two trays so I could have one for Large and one for Small primers ready. Some guys get one setup for each type of primer (LP, LR, SP, SR).

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-15-2013, 07:01 AM
This is one of the best innovations from Lee, simple, inexpensive and works beautifully. I ended up getting two trays so I could have one for Large and one for Small primers ready. Some guys get one setup for each type of primer (LP, LR, SP, SR).

NWPilgrim has the right of it. The critical thing is to get the bracket adjusted properly on the Lee Classic Turret to begin with. I agree totally that having a primer setup for large and small primers is the way to go. Set each one up, then use a label maker to label them as to the size primers (and type, if you so choose) you have them set up for. Then make a pegboard backing behind your bench and hang the one you're not using there.

ghh3rd
12-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the reponses. By the way, when I'm done using a primer tray, I tear a chunk of cardboard off the empty primer box and slip it inside the tray. I used to think I'd remember exactly what primers were in there, but now I've got a couple of sandwitch bags with unknown primers in them :?:

ghh3rd
12-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reponses. By the way, when I'm done using a primer tray, I tear a chunk of cardboard with the primer description from the empty primer box and slip it inside the tray. I used to think I'd remember exactly what primers were in there, but now I've got a couple of sandwitch bags with unknown primers in them :?: