PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor near Mesa, AZ

NewbieDave007
12-14-2013, 06:50 PM
First a little about me:

I grew up in a family that wasn't anti-guns, but also didn't have any around either. When I was younger I wanted to work in law enforcement and in fact served as an officer and a sargent for the Department of Corrections (mostly in maximum security). My interest in law enforcement pushed my parents to buy my first firearm (Beretta 92FS) and that was the start of my enjoyment in target shooting. With my upbringing I wasn't ever exposed to reloading, let alone casting or powder coating.

I'm a father to two wonderful children (7 & 10), husband to the best gal and my best friend, and the primary breadwinner for our family, as a civil engineer in Chandler. We recently moved back to the East Valley (Mesa) after being in Arkansas for the past 2+ years and are planning on doing what it takes to stay in this area. With that said, I did have someone in the town I lived in in Arkansas (goodsteel) that I could ask any number of questions to, run over to his house for a little "hands-on", and who I believe would have made a wonderful reloading/casting/etc mentor, but alas with the move I loose out on the ability to learn "hands-on" from him.

My entire family (wife and both kids) enjoy shooting and I enjoy the idea of being able to shoot more with reloading and casting. In fact tomorrow we will be all heading to the range. I hope to learn as much as I can and pass it along to my wife and kids.

I am interested in reloading, casting, and powder coating.

I have collected a number of resources, components, and tools, but have yet to reload a single round for myself and have only "helped" with a dozen 45-70s at goodsteel's place.

Now what I would like in a mentor:

I would ideally like someone that has been around the block and that I can truly learn from. Like I said I'm interested in reloading, casting and powder coating, so if you know about those subjects it would help. I learn best by doing and don't have much experience to draw on when I'm reading the manuals, so I tend to get a little lost and that is why I would like someone near me. With that said, I would prefer someone in the East Valley (Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, AJ, Tempe, etc.), but I would be willing to travel to anywhere in the Phoenix metro area.

You might ask yourself, "what's in it for me?" I don't exactly have a good answer to that other then you would know that you are helping me learn the hobby and that information will be passed along to my wife and children. Also, I'm willing to do "grunt" work during the reloading, casting, and/or powder coat process, or any other help that I can do to help this work. I am aslo willing to learn by assisting you in your reloading, casting, and/or powder coating, so that should speed up your process once I get the hang of it.

If you have questions or would like to help me out please feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
Dave

Artful
12-14-2013, 07:21 PM
PM inbound

cbrick
12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Hhmmm . . . You must have moved. You helped at Goodsteel's place but are looking for help in Mesa, AZ. :mrgreen:

Rick

NewbieDave007
12-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Hhmmm . . . You must have moved. You helped at Goodsteel's place but are looking for help in Mesa, AZ. :mrgreen:

Rick

lol...Yes, I moved back to the area I grew up. Although I enjoyed my time in Arkansas, I'm glad to be back in AZ.

NewbieDave007
12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
PM inbound

Thanks Artful and it was good talking with you.

Thanks again.
Dave