PDA

View Full Version : Chicken fried steak recipes

cdet69
12-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Anyone have some good recipes on how to make this? Your help would be greatly appreciated on this.

ultramag
12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Everything you need to know about making good CFS can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I do it mostly with venison cube steaks. Just dredge them in floor. sprinkle on some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry in butter and then cover them with sausage gravy. Fry some potatoes and onion too as the sausage gravy goes great over that too.

frankenfab
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Everything you need to know about making good CFS can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY

Cool! I think double dipping for CFS is the way to go. Cracker crumbs is another way to bread it, but you have to be careful not to burn it. I subscribed to Kent Rollins channel after watching the video. There is a video of him having a throw down with Bobby Flay. I will definitely try the canned milk trick!

Fried food should be seasoned after cooking as well. I like Cavender's.

ultramag
12-16-2013, 12:51 AM
I would agree.

The double baptism is the secret to a real good coating that stays where you want it.

armedmoose
12-16-2013, 01:25 AM
I am an alton brown fan and make his CFS.. I even purchased this jicard meat tenderizer tool he uses in the video, since he uses cheaper bottom round cut of meat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-fried-steak-recipe/index.html

Changeling
12-16-2013, 06:48 PM
I do it mostly with venison cube steaks. Just dredge them in floor. sprinkle on some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry in butter and then cover them with sausage gravy. Fry some potatoes and onion too as the sausage gravy goes great over that too.

I have done it that way to Lloyd, I like the Venison better than any beef I have ever tried, and I have tried it all. However do to some health problems I do not have any more venison in the freezer!!

One thing that I have been using for years is a J.A Henckels Chinese Cleaver. They own the market on Chinese cleavers and are the only one I would even consider recommending.
To tenderize flip it over backwards and hammer a piece of meat as much as you want to any consistency. You can slice thick roasts easily into whatever one wants. I'm starting to sound like a commercial, but it really is that good. Not cheap, I don't know the cost now but I bought one for some good friends about 5 or 6 years ago and it was about $60.00, OUCH. However I think it is worth it.

Shiloh
12-17-2013, 06:08 PM
I go to Cracker Barrel. ;)

Shiloh

MT Gianni
12-22-2013, 11:02 PM
When you have it cooked pour Pizza sauce on it and top it with mozzarella cheese. Broil til the cheese is melted and serve. Argentines call it Milanesa Napolitana.

Changeling
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
When you have it cooked pour Pizza sauce on it and top it with mozzarella cheese. Broil til the cheese is melted and serve. Argentines call it Milanesa Napolitana.

I was telling my son about you today and how you make your chicken fried steak. He said that him and his girlfriend had just had it basically that way at an Italian restaurant and it was really great!
So they are going back there and try to talk the chef into how he makes the sause he put on the chicken fried steak (Beef in sause there).

Personally I doubt the chef will tell him, but he just laughed and said we'll see.:grin:

MT Gianni
12-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Changeling we use Ragu or Progresso with a little added oregano.

Changeling
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Changeling we use Ragu or Progresso with a little added oregano.

Man I am going to have to give you my recipe for Spagetti sause, once you try this you will NEVER use the store bought brand stuff again!
I make about a gallon (usually more) at a time and freeze in small to large containers for different recipes relative to my being 1 person .

reloader28
12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Man I am going to have to give you my recipe for Spagetti sause, once you try this you will NEVER use the store bought brand stuff again!
I make about a gallon (usually more) at a time and freeze in small to large containers for different recipes relative to my being 1 person .

I looked, but didnt see a spagetti sauce thread yet.:wink:

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 10:33 AM

This sounds great!!

Shiloh

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Id like to see that sause recipe myself.

bhn22
12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
I haven't had breakfast yet guys. And now I'm really hungry. Maybe I can find a poptart or something...

I hope you're pleased...:smile:

Monttexan
12-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Make that 3 votes for the spaghetti sauce recipe!

WARD O
12-31-2013, 02:16 PM
4 votes....

thanks,
ward

Changeling
12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
It's coming guys. I am in the process of putting it down on paper and making sure everything is right.

Along with another 100 things that are necessary, LOL

Outpost75
12-31-2013, 04:54 PM
My late mother would never serve watery store bought gravy.
Once you learn how simple it is to make a traditional sauce you’ll never go back.

Hunting Camp Gravy aka "sugo al ragł di carne"

Pour ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil onto the bottom of a 4-qt. kettle, warm to medium heat.

Add 1 cup each of diced onion and green bell peppers, and four cloves of minced garlic and sauté until the onions are clear

Add: one 28 oz. can of tomato puree, or if you like "chunky" sauce substitute diced tomatoes for the puree.

one 8 oz. can tomato sauce,

one 6 oz. can tomato paste and

1 cup. dry red wine, Chianti, using the wine to rinse the cans to get all their goodness out

Then add a bay leaf plus a teaspoon each of dry basil, oregano, (1 tsp. of garlic powder if you did not have the 4 cloves of fresh garlic) and crushed red pepper (Use ¼ cup each of diced fresh herbs instead of dry if you’ve got ‘em)

½ tsp anchovy paste (optional, but highly recommended – don’t tell anyone, our “secret”)

For meat sauce add 1 lb. of fully cooked, crumbled, drained ground chuck or Italian sausage, or 16 oz. package of thawed, frozen meat balls (optional).

For ragu' di pesca add a tablespoon of Old Bay, and instead of meat, poach a pound of crawfish, shrimp, calamari slices, trout, salmon or catfish cutlets, tightly covered, on top of the steaming sauce. Yummy!~

DO Add 1 tsp sea salt (½ is OK if watching sodium intake, but don’t leave it out, it needs some)

Simmer 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally

Add ½ cup half & half (to reduce the acidity from all that tomato!)

Add 4 oz. 1 can of mushrooms with their packing liquid and stir well

Now start boiling your pasta water and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.

Makes two quarts of sauce. Poach eggs on any leftovers and serve on toast points for breakfast or use it all now to serve 2 pounds of pasta now to a camp of hungry hunters.

DLCTEX
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
We put venison steaks in milk, refrigerate over night or more, then tenderize and batter before frying. Make cream gravy in the skillet used for frying after pouring off most of grease.