PDA

View Full Version : Lube on the bottom of bullet??

Deacon Stone
12-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm really just getting started with lubing. I have a Lyman 45 and I'm running some 405 grain bullets through a 458 die and the bottom of the bullet keeps getting filled with lube. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks For your input.

Deacon Stone

btroj
12-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Too much lube pressure. It also helps to hold the handle down firmly when adding lube pressure.

Not a big deal, just a bit messy. I ignore it. Some wipe the bases over fear of lube contaminating the powder.

ghh3rd
12-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Is it a hollow base boolit? If so, I would think that filling up the base with lube would affect accuracy. I'm sure someone will come along with an answer.

MT Chambers
12-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Lube too soft, from heating and or too much pressure, back off both, but it does happen somewhat with this type of sizer, just wipe on a cloth after sizing. This does not happen with a Star sizer.

montana_charlie
12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Look at your ejector pin (inside the sizing die). The 'top' of the pin is slightly concave so that only the sharp rim contacts the bullet base.
If you keep that sharp rim in contact with the bullet by holding 'firm' pressure on the press handle, the lube can't slip between the bullet and the pin ... unless you are developing too much lubeing force with the reservoir wrench.

If you ARE pushing the lube hard with the wrench, be sure to back off on that pressure before raising the handle to eject the bullet from the die.

CM

randyrat
12-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Use the same caliper brass and cut some cookies out of a foam meat tray..They turn out to be the same size of your bullets that your lubing...Place one or two cookies inside the die body..These will bring your bullet up a tad and stop lube from sticking to the bottom of the bullets..
Add one or two when needed, normally these disk will last about 25 bullets

labradigger1
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Are you using plain base or gas check rebated bases? If gc than theres your problem

dtknowles
12-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Not a big deal, just a bit messy. I ignore it. Some wipe the bases over fear of lube contaminating the powder.

I end up wiping bases and noses. It is not actually powder contamination but inconsistent ignition that has me wiping bases as I store almost all my ammo nose down in boxes and with small charges of powder in my .22 Hornet I don't want the powder stuck up on the base of the bullet. About wiping noses, with these tiny bullets it is so hard to handle them without getting lube on the noses that I wipe the base and preseat the bullets until the grease groove is inside the case. I do that for the lot of cartridges then I disassemble and clean my seating die, reinstall and adjust the die, wipe the noses and run them thru for final OAL.

Some ammo has to be accurate to be interesting.

Tim

Deacon Stone
12-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Guys for all the ideas. But after playing a little more it was totally to much pressure. It works fine now.

Thanks Deacon Stone