PDA

View Full Version : Boolit source for Krag

Thomassen
12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
I am not yet set up to cast my own. I have used cast made by Dave Jennings over at Montana Bullet Works and have liked them. I used a 314299 made from a Lyman mold (HT with GC) sized to 312 and have had fine results. Anyone know of a good source for these? Dave Jennings has been out of commission since mid October.

Thanks, in advance.

dbosman
12-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Post your location and odds are someone here lives within a reasonable distance, and will be willing to include you in a casting session. If you bring the lead and do the casting, the boolits will be yours and not subject to the ITAR licensing.

There is a danger you might enjoy the boolit making process so much you start hoarding lead and molds.

Dutchman
12-14-2013, 04:46 PM
If you bring the lead and do the casting, the boolits will be yours and not subject to the ITAR licensing.

I feel a lameness in the brain. What is ITAR that requires licensing?

Dutch

Thomassen
12-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm in Oakland, CA. Anyone casting around here?

KYCaster
12-14-2013, 08:47 PM
I feel a lameness in the brain. What is ITAR that requires licensing?

Dutch

ITAR = International Trade in Arms Regulations.

ITAR doesn't require a license.....BATFE requires that anyone who manufactures arms or ammo (including components) have a license.

Anyone who has a manufacturers license is required to register with the State Department to satisfy the ITAR treaty. ITAR registration costs $2500.00 annually.

Some people will resort to various schemes to avoid the licensing requirement.

Does that make sense?

Doesn't make sense to me either. [smilie=1:

Jerry

Mr Peabody
12-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Take a look at Beartooth Bullets website. Marshall makes a very nice product.

JHeath
12-16-2013, 05:51 PM
ITAR = International Trade in Arms Regulations.

ITAR doesn't require a license.....BATFE requires that anyone who manufactures arms or ammo (including components) have a license.

Anyone who has a manufacturers license is required to register with the State Department to satisfy the ITAR treaty. ITAR registration costs $2500.00 annually.

Some people will resort to various schemes to avoid the licensing requirement.

Does that make sense?

Doesn't make sense to me either. [smilie=1:

Jerry

Sorry to hijack -- help me on this. Congress delegates the power to ATF to require a small business selling cast boolits have a component manufacturer's license? And this in turn triggers a requirement to register with the state dep't under the terms of an international treaty ratified by Congress?

This seems to assume a guy pouring bullets in Pennsylvania and selling them in Pennsylvania is 'in or affecting' international trade. It sounds like a vast extension of the "interstate commerce" doctrine, which is how the federal gov't claims the power to regulate anything. Because (famous precedent) a guy growing corn on his back 40 and feeding it to the hogs in his barn is "affecting" interstate commerce by not buying corn commercially, so his purely local non-financial activity can be regulated as "interstate commerce."

Basically it means that Congress or the UN or whoever can have the authority to bust you for not mowing your lawn, because you are affecting interstate/international commerce by not buying a new mower as often, etc. This is how I explain to myself the black helicopters that pass over my house all day.

I googled ITAR a bit but found mostly information about exporting military technology, and it is not clear to me where small component manufacturers selling domestically fall in to this.

Does a PA guy selling cast boolits to an NJ internet buddy get busted as an international arms trafficker?

KYCaster
12-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hijack -- help me on this. Congress delegates the power to ATF to require a small business selling cast boolits have a component manufacturer's license? And this in turn triggers a requirement to register with the state dep't under the terms of an international treaty ratified by Congress?

This seems to assume a guy pouring bullets in Pennsylvania and selling them in Pennsylvania is 'in or affecting' international trade. It sounds like a vast extension of the "interstate commerce" doctrine, which is how the federal gov't claims the power to regulate anything. Because (famous precedent) a guy growing corn on his back 40 and feeding it to the hogs in his barn is "affecting" interstate commerce by not buying corn commercially, so his purely local non-financial activity can be regulated as "interstate commerce."

Basically it means that Congress or the UN or whoever can have the authority to bust you for not mowing your lawn, because you are affecting interstate/international commerce by not buying a new mower as often, etc. This is how I explain to myself the black helicopters that pass over my house all day.

I googled ITAR a bit but found mostly information about exporting military technology, and it is not clear to me where small component manufacturers selling domestically fall in to this.

Does a PA guy selling cast boolits to an NJ internet buddy get busted as an international arms trafficker?

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but.....yes, it's true.

The devil is in the definitions of........

arms,
ammunition,
military technology,
etc, etc.

Kind of like if the DEA raids your house and find a can of Drano under the kitchen sink, a propane tank in the garage and antihistamines in the medicine cabinet, then you're guilty of manufacturing meth because you have three of the necessary ingredients on the premises.

I said it doesn't make any sense, but it does when you consider that our government can get away with it because 99.99% of the population isn't aware of it and most of them wouldn't care if they DID know. Eventually it will get to the point where the govt. can convict ANYONE of a crime that they probably were not even aware was a crime.......we're almost there now.

Next thing you know the police can stop you at random and demand an ID........already there in LA and NYC.

Papers please, Comrade.
Jerry

Sorry for the thread hi-jack......back to your regularly scheduled program.