PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Glock G30 S ?

PB234
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Any comments from users of the G30 S would be most welcome. Also do any of the replacement barrel makers offer traditional rifled barrels for this? No desire to open the cast out of Glock argument. Just that I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. New barrel probably less than $150. Finger = priceless. Why take any chances?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-14-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a standard G30 and it is a nice gun. It is bulkier than the G26/27. Essentially the G29 (10mm) and G30 have the same frame. I would not define it as a true subcompact, as it is closer in size to the compacts. I also own a G39 and it is chambered in 45 GAP. If you are looking for a true subcompact 45 in the shorter frame this is a good choice. The one downside to this pistol is it only holds 6+1. That is a real bummer.

Now, for barrels, all my Glocks have aftermarket barrels except the above mention 39. The reason I replace the barrels is to extend the life of my brass. I can't stand the glock bulge. I shoot alot of 40sw, 10mm, 45acp, and 460 Rowland loads (using 45acp cases) through my glocks. Good case head support is very important to extend the life of the brass and avoid a case head rupture.

I own a coupe different types of aftermarket barrels. The cheapest are the Lone Wolf. If you order a barrel from them, send them a couple samples of loaded rounds because often their chambers are too tight to chamber rounds loaded with oversized cast bullets. I have had 1 of 3 of my LW barrels that needed a little opening up. Barrels shoot great, no issues. I also have a Storm Lake barrel in my G29. Another great barrel with awesome case head support. The fired 10mm cases will slip right back into the chamber even after a hot load. I have a KKM barrel on my G20 and havent had a chance to even shoot it yet but can report back if you want. Finally I have a Jarvis barrel in my G21. This barrel required some minor sanding/polishing to fit. Be prepared to do a little MINOR gunsmithing (600 grit paper and polish) to get it to fit. This barrel is what I am shooting 460 Rowland loads out of utilizing 45 acp cases. Lock up is snug with NO extra play, barrel is accurate, and the cases come out after 40k psi loads looking great.

Hope this helps. You can't really go wrong with any of the aftermarket barrels out there.

PB234
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you. After a long time of resisting Glocks I am thinking the G30 S might fill a need. While jacketed factory serves a need the ability to practice with reloaded cast might help me afford to practice a bit more.

Geraldo
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I've been thinking about a G30S as well. I had a G30 not too long after they came out and it's the one Glock I regret letting go.

kweidner
12-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Get you a rn or nfp mold. They don't like 68 clones. At least the one I played with all summer didn't. JMHO

Bohica793
12-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Get you a rn or nfp mold. They don't like 68 clones. At least the one I played with all summer didn't. JMHO

+1 for this. I have a G30S that I love but it will not feed SWCs It seems that the angle the magazine presents the next round causes the ejecting round to hand on the shoulder of the SWC. I am also using a Lone Wolf replacement barrel in mine, though I did not have any issues shooting lead out of the factory barrel.

KYShooter73
12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I have a 30s and a 21sf. I shoot PC cast from both. Both good weapons and can use my 21 mags in my 30. If I had to pick...I would carry a 1911. Only 2 rounds lost, in a slimmer, better trigger, more accurate platform. Just my thoughts, probably worth every penny you paid for them.

doctorggg
12-17-2013, 09:36 PM
I have had a Glock 30S for 3 months. I love it. I have shot Noe's 230 grain hollow point boolits with good accuracy, no malfunctions and zero leading. They tore 2 pumpkins to pieces at 20 and 25 yards. it was awesome to see. I definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of these boolits. I haven't tried swc yet. Mihec's 200 grain HP's work very well. they are the only 2 lead bullets I have shot in it.

AnthonyB
12-17-2013, 09:57 PM
A Glock 30S is on my buy list. IMO you can ignore the no lead in Glocks warning when they are chambered in 45 ACP. Search for the lead in Glock sticky. I have three 30 series with thousands of cast rounds through them.
Tony

Tim357
12-17-2013, 10:46 PM
+1 for this. I have a G30S that I love but it will not feed SWCs It seems that the angle the magazine presents the next round causes the ejecting round to hand on the shoulder of the SWC. I am also using a Lone Wolf replacement barrel in mine, though I did not have any issues shooting lead out of the factory barrel.
Mirrors my experience. Tho the one I shot fed and ejected RCBS 201 gr swc better than the #68 clones, I found a Lyman 452488 fed like butter.

2wheelDuke
12-19-2013, 12:20 PM
I'd recommend checking Glock Talk to check on barrel compatibility. I believe a 30s is basically a 30sf frame with a 36 slide so it's a bit lighter and slimmer.

If that's the case, a 36 barrel would work.

I carry a 30 off-duty. Mine hangs up with both styles of swc that I cast, but feeds tc and rn just fine.

I just saw a commercial for the 30s last night watching TV with my brother. He was wanting one after that commercial.

EMC45
12-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I like my G36. It likes lead too (w/factory barrel). As has been said the SWCs are a bear to feed sometimes. It likes the Lee 230gr. TC and the Lyman 452-374.