PDA

View Full Version : front sight

kb7tgr
12-13-2013, 09:04 PM
I put a marbles tang on my 94 win. I am going to shoot 100-300 yards. would you stay with the stock front sight
or change it?

fouronesix
12-13-2013, 09:20 PM
I imagine the factory front is a bead. I prefer a regular thin to medium width blade (no bead). Better sight picture for the longer distances with the relatively smaller visual aiming points or bulls. For strictly target shooting at bulls, a front globe sight is hard to beat.

northmn
12-14-2013, 01:06 PM
The front sight as important a part of your sighting system as the rear, maybe more so. It is difficult to state what makes the best because it is an individual thing. I always used a bead on my muzzleloading target rifles because I needed to see the top of the front sight. Now I use fiberoptic beads because they stand out and are easier for me to see. As the previous poster stated, for paper, a globe sight with inserts is considered a standard.

DEP

Marvin S
12-14-2013, 02:28 PM
You need to shoot it first to see what height you may or may not need.

Scharfschuetze
12-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I also prefer a square top blade or post front sight with an aperture rear sight. I've used them for plinking, hunting, NM and small bore match shooting. I can refine my sight picture to a greater extent with them than with a bead.

With a blade front sight, you can install a taller than necessary sight, and then file it down until you raise your POI to coincide with your POA (as noted above) at the range you want to zero at.

pietro
12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I put a marbles tang on my 94 win. I am going to shoot 100-300 yards. would you stay with the stock front sight
or change it ?

I changed my front sight, strictly to use a front sight of my druthers ( a fiber-optic bead), but I installed one the same height as the issue front sight.

I also switched out the rear barrel iron/open sight to a folder, so I could zero the barrel sights @ 100yds, for those game shots that are quickly presented; and zero the tang sight for 250 yds.

It's a pretty simple matter, to hunt the barrel sights for quick shooting, or simultainously lower the folder & raise the tang sight if/when game is spotted further away.

I've always had ample time, at the longer game distance, to switch over from the bbl sights to the tang sight.

rhead
12-15-2013, 11:16 AM
It is really whatever your eye can give you the most reproducible sight picture at that distance from your eyeball. If you have friends with a similar setup with different front sights you can narrow it down to just a few Most gun shops have a box of sights that have been removed. Work out a deal to try three or four. Keep the best and return the rest for the deposit that you left.