PDA

View Full Version : Put a "PORT" in your Bullet Puller!

rbertalotto
12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I use a Quinetics "impact" hammer type bullet puller and I hate having to screw the cap off every time I want to empty the powder and removed bullet.

So I cut a port into the side of the puller and it works like a dream!

I put a few pictures of the modification on my web site if you are interested....

www.rvbprecision.com

TNsailorman
12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe I am a slow thinker. You still have to unscrew the head to get the case out. So how is milling a port saving you any trouble?

beex215
12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
im thinking how do you put in another case without unscrewing it.

lancem
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
First one I owned long ago came with a port in the side, hated it as powder always seemed to go all over the place, ended up taping it over if I remember right. Just goes to show everthing comes around if wait long enough :)

rbertalotto
12-13-2013, 08:38 PM
On the two Quinetics pullers I have, a simple half twist of the cap releases the case from the puller. I don't have to remove the cap.

I put a piece of business card over the port with an elastic. Puwder stays in but the weight of the bullet deflects the card enough that it simply falls out when inverted over a bowl. As does the powder.

JeffG
12-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm using a Franklin Arsenal model. A little bright light came on in my head last weekend when I wanted to pull 100 rounds. The collet that holds the cartridge is a 3 piece deal held together with an o-ring. With the cartridge assembled in the hammer, there is enough gap between the 3 pieces of the collet for the powder to shake out. So I strike to remove the bullet, then turn it over and shake out the powder through the gaps in the collet into a cup. It worked just fine with Unique powder and beat having to dumop it all out then mess with brushing it off the bullet. Just an idea if your hammer is made like that.

Doc_Stihl
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
The best upgrade I found for the kinetic bullet pullers was using a shell holder instead of the 3 jaw "chuck" thingy. Grab the correct shell holder and it speeds things up.
I pop the bullet and powder out. Tip it up slightly to get the bullet out first and then dump the powder.

John Boy
12-13-2013, 09:26 PM
a simple half twist of the cap releases the case from the puller. I don't have to remove the cap.Roy, it's the same with any of the kinetic pullers but you forgot to tell the rest of the story ...
* 3/4 or full twist of the cap and slide round into the collet - tighten cap
* Whack - Whack, the bullet & powder drops down into the puller
* 3/4 or full twist of cap - tap the edge of cap on whatever is hard (I use a lead ingot) - the case slides back from the collet - pull case out with thumb & index finger - insert new round into collet - tighten cap
The only time the cap has to be removed is to empty the bullets & powder ...

And as for me, I have 2 pullers: one is broken at the end (pan under ingot - Whack - Whack) - Never have to remove cap or collet. I average less than 15 seconds per round pulling bullets

Now for the good of the order: To determine a Light & Hard Crimp
* Light Crimp - less than 5 whacks of the puller
* Hard Crimp - 8 - 10 whacks of the puller

Hardcast416taylor
12-14-2013, 12:29 PM
I loaned my RCBS puller to a "friend" so he could pull some .357 loaded rounds. I got back a bag of pieces about 2 weeks later! He promised to replace the puller with a new one - haven`t seen him or a new puller in about 15 years! I fully take the cap off after knocking each round apart. Call me "Old, Slow or Plain Stoopid" this is the way I do it.Robert

Sweetpea
12-14-2013, 12:36 PM
I do my dangdest to never have to use one...

Still happens, though...

Sweetpea
12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I loaned my RCBS puller to a "friend" so he could pull some .357 loaded rounds. I got back a bag of pieces about 2 weeks later! He promised to replace the puller with a new one - haven`t seen him or a new puller in about 15 years! I fully take the cap off after knocking each round apart. Call me "Old, Slow or Plain Stoopid" this is the way I do it.Robert

BTW, if that's what it took to never see him again, it was probably worth it!

oldgeezershooter
12-14-2013, 12:44 PM
The best upgrade I found for the kinetic bullet pullers was using a shell holder instead of the 3 jaw "chuck" thingy. Grab the correct shell holder and it speeds things up.
I pop the bullet and powder out. Tip it up slightly to get the bullet out first and then dump the powder.
+1,000

DRNurse1
12-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Hard Caster, you are none of those if but maybe hold on to tradition: "ifin' it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I have not tried the shell holder trick, but it does sound helpful. Thanks Doc_Stihl.

I taped over the non-impact end to prevent scattering powder, but that is the only modification on my 30 year old boolit puller (well, it could also be used for bullets). My FiL ignited his RCBS puller with a 22LR round, and it is no worse for wear. Had to explain that one to my MiL and the brass is still in his overhead somewhere.

justingrosche
12-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Doc, your a genius. Thanks for the tip.

mdi
12-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Cool idea, but don't you still have to unscrew the cap to get the case out?

TheDoctor
12-15-2013, 06:04 PM
yeah, but you don't have to worry about the darned 3 jaw thingie comming apart!

77ruger
12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Ahh first thing is I try not to screw up so I don't need to use the hammer

rbertalotto
12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I still don't understand why you boys are removing the cap to get the case out?????

And the three jaw is contained by an o-ring. It doesn't fall apart.

scarry scarney
12-15-2013, 11:02 PM
I loaned my RCBS puller to a "friend" so he could pull some .357 loaded rounds. I got back a bag of pieces

If you contact RCBS, they will replace the broken pieces, or the entire puller.

Don't know about the 15 year thing

jmorris
12-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I still don't understand why you boys are removing the cap to get the case out?????

And the three jaw is contained by an o-ring. It doesn't fall apart.

Roy,

All of the old pullers and many of the new ones use a 3 piece collet and a non crimped non split O ring to hold them together. They are different than the quinetics because they crimp the O ring to each collet section and then split the O ring so it will open up when you back the cap off.

Baja_Traveler
12-15-2013, 11:36 PM
If you haven't had an RCBS puller collet come apart on you, you haven't knocked apart enough large rounds. The larger the case diameter, the more prone that bugger is to falling apart...

dtknowles
12-16-2013, 11:24 AM
on mine the chuck will not get small enough to hold .22 Hornet cases and tries to fall apart with very large cases. I am on my third I broke the first two, no way I would add any holes in the already too weak tool. I understand it is hard on the tool to breakdown mil-surp ammo for components but I don't like collet marks on my bullets.

Tim

dtknowles
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
on mine the chuck will not get small enough to hold .22 Hornet cases and tries to fall apart with very large cases. I am on my third I broke the first two, no way I would add any holes in the already too weak tool. I understand it is hard on the tool to breakdown mil-surp ammo for components but I don't like collet marks on my bullets.

Tim

dtknowles
12-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Tim

Doc_Stihl
12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Doc, your a genius. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think I came up with that. I would guess I'm just repeating what I read here.

Tim, That's a good reason to use a shell holder instead of the collet....

gefiltephish
12-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Do not use a shell holder! I know it seems like a great idea, however, I recall reading a couple stories about rounds being set off this way. Please note that the 3 piece collet holds the case centered in the hole. Nothing can come into to contact with the primer. There is or may be just enough slop in the a holder to allow the primer to contact part of the shell holder. It's easier to see than to explain. There's a reason why companies like RCBS doesn't use their existing shell holders for this. Be safe, not stupid.

TNsailorman
12-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I have been using the shell holder thing since the late 70's at least and I have unloaded way over 2000 rounds of different calibers of ammo and never had one problem or accident using them. I have not used one of the modern Quinetics but the old ones were a weak system using steel inserts for different caliber. They were a pain to use and often damaged brass. They have been gone for years now. Mine old Quinetics was bought in the early 60's and I replaced it when the RCBS unit came out and I still have it and it is still is in service. I don't what happened to the rubber o ring and 3 piece shuck that came with it; probably hit the trash when I tried the first shell holder and saw how much more simple it was to use. Everyone to his own I guess. james

jmorris
12-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Shell holders have a hole in them so the primer can be inserted, so they are not likey to be able to hit the primer. Many also have a slot milled into them so a case with a high primer can be removed from them, some don't though.

If you have a primer that is high and you want to pull the bullet, the factory collet would be a good idea...

tom357mag
12-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I also use the shellholder as my "collet" . Also might want to put a foam earplug in the bottom of it to save the bullet from the impact. JMO

catmandu
12-21-2013, 04:46 AM
+1 on the foam earplugs.

Paul

rbertalotto
12-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Love the earplug idea!

kungfustyle
12-21-2013, 07:31 AM

What he said....works with every caliber.

EDG
12-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Best thing is to be careful loading so you do not need these lousy bullet pullers.

Blammer
12-24-2013, 12:51 AM
I don't understand why you need bullet pullers? I just shoot them out.... :)