PDA

View Full Version : A very Happy Thanksgiving

Axton1
12-13-2013, 04:26 AM
A post that’s overdue but I want to say a big THANKS! To all here that have put so much info into the archives!
This site has been a treasure trove to peruse while learning how to cast and I really appreciate all that’s here.
From this info and my Lyman Cast Handbook, I’ve have got some mighty fine pistol shootin’ boolits for 380’s, 38’s, 357’s, 40’s all up and running in the past 2 years!
Have been into reloading for 25+ years but, the cast bug just bit me about 3 years ago.
But I feel I TOPPED all of those these past weeks! You see, I have been working on a boolit for my Marlin lever 30-30. The old girl slugged out at .3082
Have a Lee mold in C309-170F – used some clip-on wheel weight + a touch of tin, and ran them thru my Lyman 4500 sized to .309 with a copper check and some Orange Magic.
Played with them for a while with Unique, at 8.5g gives me 1200fps. FUN to shoot and NO leading whatsoever!
Then I stepped up and worked them up with IMR-3031 and at 23.3 grains, that has them running 1700fps. Still shooting well with no leading. Very low recoil and they are very accurate out at 100 yards – about 4 inches low from normal point of aim. (far as I tested them) So - looking good! Took these out for hunting white tails this season – I got TWO deer with them! One small/medium buck and a decent doe. Both one-shot-N-done! Now the BEST part! I took my daughter out Thanksgiving (21 years old) and let her practice with a dozen (she loved them!) and let her do some hunting with it. Her second day in the stand, she got HER very first deer EVER on one of MY home-cast BOOLITS! A nice size 6-pointer and one shot took him down too! She has went hunting before several years and this is the first one that she has had a chance to shoot at. You just can’t beat that – I’m impressed despite myself and just wanted to share that with everybody! So again – thanks to everyone here for all the great info and encouragement! Was a GREAT DAY!
And I’m also curious – the Lyman Cast book says that it does not recommend going over 1700fps in the Marlin micro groove barrel – hence the point that I stopped at. And they worked dang well!
I’ve noticed several threads here that others have gone above that – forget if anyone had any leading. I’m thinking of pushing them up just a bit to see what they do – any thoughts?
(And sorry that I don’t have any pictures – gotta figure that one out too!)

waksupi
12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I love it when a plan comes together. Go ahead and try pushing them faster, you should be able to pretty much match factory velocity.