PDA

View Full Version : Bumping 22 ammo

xs11jack
12-12-2013, 11:48 PM
I don't know if this is in the right place, so move it if necessary. When I first came here there were some posts on "bumping" 22 ammo. Apparently a small die is made to swage the 22 lead slightly larger to fit the chamber tighter and thus increase the accuracy. Does anyone have a drawing to make the bumper?
Ole Jack

MtGun44
12-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Never heard of it, sounds doable. I'd want a way to solidly grip the boolit just ahead of the
case, then a slightly larger diameter forward of that, and a top punch to tap and swage
out the portion of the boolit ahead of the grip to fit the larger diam.

Shouldn't be too hard to make if you have a lathe, but sorting out the best way to grip it
and the exact mechanicals (collet, on the boolit only or on case and boolit, or case only)
and dimension of new bumped diam so it will still fit the chamber . . . . . Development time.

Bill

felix
12-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes, 22LR bump dies exist amongst the 22 BR folks. Go to the boards which do the 22LR in BR competition to get a feel for what is needed (what,when,where,etc.). ... felix

square butte
12-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Paco Kelly makes them. Google Paco Tools and you will get there. If I knew how to embed a link I would put one here. Just sent an order in to him for one of these a few days ago.

backroad
12-13-2013, 10:36 PM
There are several guys makeing these google 22 accurizer.

uscra112
12-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Also a tool by Waltz, which is lightyears ahead of the Paco Kelly tool IMHO.

I made my own. An easy lathe job, and you need an old seater die with the large top screw, or something similar, for the body.

Improves bulk ammo considerably. With weight sorting and bumping, I took a stock-barrelled 10/22 from a shotgun to 2 MOA, using MiniMags.

Don't use it on match grade ammo.

square butte
12-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Can you tell us where to find the Waltz tool?

high standard 40
12-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Here is Neil's contact info.

waltz@sssnet.com

330-837-4818

Neil Waltz
4105 Hyatt N.W.
Massillon, OH 44646

square butte
12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Thank you sir

**oneshot**
12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I have a D-rock tool. It bumps up but only has one size. It works great and youcan order a few tips to get either large or small hollow, flat point and a RN bump pin.
I use it all the time to make cheaper ammo shoot more like target ammo.

Harry O
12-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I have one of the Paco tools. It works. It is a little scary pounding on the nose of a rimfire cartridge, but I have not had any go off yet.

From my experiments, it does improve the accuracy of cheap .22LR ammunition, such as White Box Winchester ammo. Bumping it up will increase the accuracy 1/4 to 1/3 (reduce the group size). However, I have tried it with Remington Target ammo and it did not make any measureable difference. It did not hurt the accuracy with target ammo, but that was a lot of work for nothing.

uscra112
12-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I have one of the Paco tools. It works. It is a little scary pounding on the nose of a rimfire cartridge, but I have not had any go off yet.

From my experiments, it does improve the accuracy of cheap .22LR ammunition, such as White Box Winchester ammo. Bumping it up will increase the accuracy 1/4 to 1/3 (reduce the group size). However, I have tried it with Remington Target ammo and it did not make any measureable difference. It did not hurt the accuracy with target ammo, but that was a lot of work for nothing.

My experience too.

Add weight sorting to the repertoire. I've found that bullet weight is the big offender in cheap ammo. Statistical evidence tells me that they must be running multiple bullet-swaging machines that are not adjusted give the same weight, and they then jumble them all together at the loading machines. Rem T-Bolt was the worst - bullet weight varied 39 to 42 grains in some of my samples. Wolf Match would have two or three out of fifty in a box that I could get any variance at all on my digital scales, and then it would be +/- .1 grains. Match grade Eley I couldn't detect any variation, period. Weight sorting bulk ammo will cut your groups another 30%. Something to do on these cold dark winter nights.

reed1911
12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
It is a little scary pounding on the nose of a rimfire cartridge

Indeed, that has kept me away from them.

Reddirt204
12-25-2013, 08:57 AM
I have the D-Rock set from rimfire central from a few years ago, I did play around with them, seemed to work well, the big advantage is that Drock's can be set and bump the round the same amount every time. Another use for them I have found recently is to reform some 40 grain Z-max projectiles that I pulled the plastic tip from for a hornet project I'm playing with...

Cheers

Reddirt204