PDA

View Full Version : keeping saddle ring quiet

corvette8n
11-23-2007, 01:59 PM
other than removing the ring how can I keep it quite while trekking thru the woods, I'd appreciate pictures of your solutions.
:-D

6pt-sika
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
IMHO , the two best solutions if you wanna use that particuler rifle are ;

1. REMOVE , which you said you didn't want to do !

2. Sit in a tree stand , there is no movement to cause noise [smilie=1:

On the other hand I have seen pictures of saddle rings wrapped in leather . You could get a couple rawhide shoe strings and do this easily enough . And it serves twofold . It not only muffles noise , but also tends not to wear the blueing quite as bad as a hard metal ring !

Scrounger
11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Know those little foam ear plugs? Roll one of those small enough to slip into the ring and let it expand. No rattle. If your ring's too big for that, just find a big enough piece of foam rubber to work. Easy in, easy out, no damage, cheap.

StrawHat
11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Don't have a SRC at the present. When I did I used a leather piggin to wrap it so it would not rattle.

A leather shoelace or thin strip of anything would work.

Not unlike what the CAS crowd does to the finger levers to protect their hands.

jack19512
11-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I know it isn't very attractive but I have used a couple of wraps of regular black electrical tape on slings on my muzzle loader to keep them quiet.

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Do what was it was designed for, get a piece of leather about a foot long and about 1/2" inch wide. Cut the ends at an angle or fringe them. Then fold it in half, put the looped part through the ring from above and between the back of the ring and the action from memory and then place the two ends through the loop and pull through. Don't pull real tight until you are happy with the way the ends hang, which should be straight down. If it doesn't sit right, take it out and try again. When you are happy, pull it up snug. If done properly, they ring should sit flush against the action, but the leather will quieten it by being between the ring and the action. That will look good and give you thongs to tie the carbeen to your saddlery if you ride. Earplugs and lecco's (aussie for electrician) tape on a lever gun? Scheeeeeeoooooooooot! That's like breaking wind in church, somethings just aren't done! :D
Mick.

Bret4207
11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Slip a couple "O"rings around it. Worked for me. Or ask Waksupi and he can sell you some authentic brain tanned elk hide or something along those lines.

Scrounger
11-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Slip a couple "O"rings around it. Worked for me. Or ask Waksupi and he can sell you some authentic brain tanned elk hide or something along those lines.

He means sheepskins

waksupi
11-24-2007, 01:09 AM
I know it isn't very attractive but I have used a couple of wraps of regular black electrical tape on slings on my muzzle loader to keep them quiet.

What kind of ML do you have with a saddle ring?

jack19512
11-24-2007, 02:15 AM
What kind of ML do you have with a saddle ring?

Am I missing something here? I stated in my post I used the electrical tape to quiet my slings on my ML. :confused:

The reason I mentioned the tape to quiet the saddle ring was because the tape would be easily removed when the hunt is over and still do the job intended. Not intended to be a permanent thing.

Not trying to be a wise guy like others may choose to be, just trying to give a suggestion for a temporary fix in case time is important and the original poster doesn't have the materials on hand to do a more attractive/more permanent solution. [smilie=1:

S.R.Custom
11-24-2007, 02:25 AM
A drop of Superglue to hold it to the receiver. Nail polish remover to take it off later.

floodgate
11-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Jack:

By "My ML", did you mean one of the CW or earlier Muzzle-loading cavalry carbines or musketoons with the ring riding on a long bar on the left side? The arm was hung by a snap hook from a sling over the trooper's shoulder; slid forward of the CG, it carried the arm muzzle-up for loading - after loading, the ring slid back to hold it muzzle down, to keep out rain, etc. Our "Wild West" saddle rings are vestigial remnants of this practice, but stlll had the utility of keeping it attached to the rider or his saddle.

floodgate

Bret4207
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
He's got a sling on his ML, not a saddle ring.

smkummer
11-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Now I know why this gun came with a piece of looped leather on the saddle ring.

waksupi
11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Am I missing something here? I stated in my post I used the electrical tape to quiet my slings on my ML. :confused:

The reason I mentioned the tape to quiet the saddle ring was because the tape would be easily removed when the hunt is over and still do the job intended. Not intended to be a permanent thing.

Not trying to be a wise guy like others may choose to be, just trying to give a suggestion for a temporary fix in case time is important and the original poster doesn't have the materials on hand to do a more attractive/more permanent solution. [smilie=1:

Sorry, Misread! :veryconfu

jack19512
11-25-2007, 08:23 AM
He's got a sling on his ML, not a saddle ring.

Correct. The reason I mentioned the electrical tape is because this situation happened to me when I first got my ML. My ML uses the snaps on the end of the sling and my first time out the sling was making a heck of a noise while in the woods.

Not having had any luck in the mourning I had planned on going back out that evening but I had to do something about the sling noise so the tape was my quick emergency fix. Actually worked quite well and the deer didn't mind the tape so I didn't let it bother me either. :)

Ranch Dog
11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
My dad has a saddle ring on his M94 and I have one on my Marlin 336-44. You loop a very short length of leather boot lace through it. Looks cool and no more noise. I'm travel the next two days and don't see a picture of it on my laptop. I will get one to you pronto...

Ranch Dog
11-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I did find a picture on my laptop.

This is my dad, Ranch Dog Sr., with his Model 94 and an Texas speed goat taken two years ago. He won't shoot any other rifle but has taken antelope, whitetails, mule deer, javelina and feral hogs with this 30-30 Win.

That leather string has been looped through the saddle ring since 1966.

junkbug
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Wrap the ring in real or artificial sinew. That way, you can still put a leather thong in it if you choose. If you can't find these, use dental floss. This has the advantage of not being corrosive. The wrapped and tied dental floss can be colored and glued to the ring with walnut wood stain, mixed with a little BLO to help it harden.

Good luck.

Sean

Char-Gar
11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Remove that worthless piece of junk. I hate, loath, dispise and abominate saddle rings on rifles!!!!

Now you boys can give new life to this thread by telling me how wonderful and useful yours is! Humbug !! :-)

jack19512
11-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Remove that worthless piece of junk. I hate, loath, dispise and abominate saddle rings on rifles!!!!

Now you boys can give new life to this thread by telling me how wonderful and useful yours is! Humbug !! :-)

Oh, Oh,!!!!!!!!

crowbeaner
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
A rubber band will do the job with no fuss, effort, damage or loss of time. Just wrap a big one a couple of times around and go hunting.

S.R.Custom
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
I had one on my Daisey model 94 when I was a kid. I thought it was cool. :mrgreen:

Morgan Astorbilt
11-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I found it a perfect place to store my chewing gum, back when I used to smoke. Kept it quiet, too.
Sorry, couldn't help it.:-D:-D:-D
Morgan

crossfireoops
12-01-2007, 02:24 AM
A discrete Tack weld would sure settle this "Issue".

1/8 7018 @ 130 amps.

Unload the thing first.

GTC

Larry Gibson
12-01-2007, 02:46 AM
"Saddle ring" is a misnomer, it was not intended that the rifle/carbine be be tied to the saddle via the ring. It is an Army cavalry/dragoon thing; a sling was worn over the shoulder across the chest with a snap that snapped into the ring. The rifle could be pivoted around the side and transition made to the handgun or saber. Also if the soldier was unhorsed the rifle/carbine went with him instead of running off with the horse. Lots slings made for M4s these days to do the same. You should see the look of horror and hear the gasps when I show the spec ops guys that with a M1873 TD carbine. Kind of takes the wind out of their high speed low drag asses. Very little is new. The rawhide thongs were tied in the ring to keep it from rattling 130+ years ago. One might do well to do the same today.

Larry Gibson

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2007, 07:38 AM
buy a can of that plastic dip to plastic coat screwdrivers ect. and dip the ring in it. It will coat it with black plastic and you probably couldnt even tell unless you looked real close.

mdatlanta
12-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I've used a piece of heatshrink tubing just large enough to fit over the ring.

jbgoodstok
12-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Well I had one 30 years ago and liked the look og the rawhide lace looped back through it so I too k a ten inch leather lace and looped it in a half hitch - no noise but the ring I had didn't hit the receiver anyway - it was an Uncle Mikes ad-on. Maybe just change it if the leather thong doesnt work - FWIW - jb:)

jh45gun
12-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Just add the leather like said.

Bret4207
12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
"Saddle ring" is a misnomer, it was not intended that the rifle/carbine be be tied to the saddle via the ring. It is an Army cavalry/dragoon thing; a sling was worn over the shoulder across the chest with a snap that snapped into the ring. The rifle could be pivoted around the side and transition made to the handgun or saber. Also if the soldier was unhorsed the rifle/carbine went with him instead of running off with the horse. Lots slings made for M4s these days to do the same. You should see the look of horror and hear the gasps when I show the spec ops guys that with a M1873 TD carbine. Kind of takes the wind out of their high speed low drag asses. Very little is new. The rawhide thongs were tied in the ring to keep it from rattling 130+ years ago. One might do well to do the same today.

Larry Gibson

Thanks Larry! Thats the first time I had seen that explanation, but it makes perfect sense. Makes far more sense than the rifle being tied to the saddle. It's kind of like trying to explain the shoulder strap on our Sam Browne belts to the "kiddies". You have to get them to understand things like time line from SWORDS and then CROSSDRAW holsters to today to get them to understand why they exist.

Larry Gibson
12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
....... It's kind of like trying to explain the shoulder strap on our Sam Browne belts to the "kiddies". You have to get them to understand things like time line from SWORDS and then CROSSDRAW holsters to today to get them to understand why they exist.

That's it exactly!

Larry Gibson

Old Ironsights
12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Junior should have weighed in by now, but I'll do it for him: UGLY MUG ALERT!

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel1.jpghttp://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel2.jpg

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

I bought one. Handy and well worth it.

I also use shrink tube on my ring to keepit from clanking.

KCSO
12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey
Just hot glue it to the receiver.

Char-Gar
12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Bret... Try explaining to the kiddies what a "saber sling" is. A sabre sling went on the Cavalryman's belt and had two snaps for the rings on the sabre sheath . When snaped, the saber hung very low and could drag the ground on a short person. That is why the tip on saber sheath is call the "drag".

When on horse, the sabre hung down so the man would use his hands for the reigns and the pistol. The sabre was very low and didn't interfer with his movment on horseback. When off the horse and on the ground the sabre was hung by the top sheath ring on a hook on the belt .

Yes, when on horse with the sabre dangling down, it made a God awful racket and you could hear a troup of cavalry coming from a country mile.

The advent of the revolving pistol, changed Cavalry tactics and by the Civil War, the Sabre was obsolescent. After the Civil War, it was pretty much relgated to Parade Ground duty, and not carried on scout or campaign. You could not get close enough to an Indian to whack him with it, in spite of what you see in the movies.

US sabres were issued very dull with a rounded edge. The higher ups felt a sharp edge was more of a danger to the Trooper and his horse than to the enemy. Neverthe less a saber swung with gusto from horseback at a man on the ground, could do fearsome damage.

If you run accross a genuine US Cavalry sabre with anything like an edge, you can bet it has been ground post issue. This was quite a task as the steel was hardened and it took more than a whetstone to put an ege on one.

The original use of the Cavalry sabre was to chase down and skewer routed ground pounders and they beat feet away from the battle.

Back to the rifle sling... there are still some folks who make and/or use rifle slings from which to hang a rifle via the "saddle ring". IMHO they are nostalga items with no real world purpose, which also applies to the damn jinglie rings the Drug Store cowboys like on their leverguns. Humbug!!! :-)

Old Ironsights
12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
...Back to the rifle sling... there are still some folks who make and/or use rifle slings from which to hang a rifle via the "saddle ring". IMHO they are nostalga items with no real world purpose, which also applies to the damn jinglie rings the Drug Store cowboys like on their leverguns. Humbug!!! :-)

Fie on thee!

The SRS it the closest thing to my Issue "Tactical" sling for my M4gery. Makes walking at High Port Arms so much easier & snap shooting handier/quicker.

Larry Gibson
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
old

Old Ironsights

That's just how they were used. Originals from the 1800s are leather with some of the later ones being canvas. Actually rather handy when you need both hands for something else.

Larry Gibson

Jim
12-05-2007, 06:22 AM

One thing, among many, that I respect about Chargar is that he don't never start no stuff.[smilie=1:

Old Ironsights
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
One thing, among many, that I respect about Chargar is that he don't never start no stuff.[smilie=1:

It's justbecause he's never used one properly. [smilie=1: If he had, he wouldn't hate it so much. :mrgreen:

If you don't use it properly it's a game-scaring clanking ***. But f you use it right... :Fire:

joatmon
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM
I just wish Chargar would tell us how he feels about em!