PDA

View Full Version : Slow cooker pork roast

hoosierlogger
12-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Made this for dinner tonight. It stemmed from a recipe we had tried before, but I could not find that recipe. So I went with what I knew was in it and improvised a little on the rest. I was tremendously pleased with the results. I had to write it down and share it. I knew I would want to make it again. 90338
Serve this with mashed potatoes and make gravy from the extra "juices" and you're ready for some fine eating.

Slow cooker Pork roast

4 pound pork roast
2 packages brown gravy mix
2 packages ranch dressing mix
2 packages Italian dressing mix
1 container chicken broth
1 Quart water (to mix dressing and gravy in)
Apple juice (add later)
Mix gravy, dressing mixes, and water together,
put thawed roast in crockpot. Add dressing/gravy mixture, and chicken broth.
Add enough apple juice to cover roast.
Set slow cooker on low for 6 to 10 hours.
Use juice from roast to make a rich brown gravy.

Changeling
12-13-2013, 05:46 PM
hoosierlogger, Man I'll have two of those plates "Trippled" , LOL.
I took one look and pulled out a 2 lb pork roast from the freezer, I'll be having that this Sunday! Thanks.

As a side note that gravy (I'm a gravy guy) looks Fandamtastic, thats what sold me!

When you say packages, are you talking those packages made by McCormick?

Shiloh
12-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Looks great!!

Now that grilling season is behind me, this looks like an adequate alternative.

Shiloh

glockmeister
12-31-2013, 08:59 PM
hoosierlogger, that receipe has got my mouth watering, Big Time. I 'm going to have to try that and soon too. Thanks for the idea, John.

MaryB
01-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Try browning the roast before adding to the crockpot, adds flavor.

CastingFool
01-01-2014, 12:16 AM
It's hard to screw up with a slow cooker. I have used for chicken, pork, beef, turkey, goose, rabbit, and of course, venison.

glockmeister
01-03-2014, 08:42 PM
hoosierlogger, just to let you know, tried out your pork roast idea, WOW. We will be doing that again in the future. Man was that good, smashed taters, blackeyed peas and pork roast, what a way to enjoy this cold nasty weather. Thanks again, stay warm, John.

Dark Helmet
01-03-2014, 10:26 PM
It is yummy!

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2014, 08:32 AM
pork roast MMMMM!!!!!

DougGuy
01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
The secret to a good roast, whether it's pork or venison, if you are cooking in a slow cooker or roasting in a baking dish, is to make the liquid you cook the meat in, fairly strong and salty tasting.

The meat will become much more flavored by the broth. When you make gravy afterwards, it won't be diluted down by flour and water or whatever you make gravy with and will still maintain a hearty strong flavor instead of tasting like pan drippings mixed with flour and water.

Tricks to getting this flavorful liquid, if you use chicken broth, instead of buying pre made broth, use the Better Than Bouillon brand in the jar. It's concentrated and you can make a real flavorful chicken broth, better than the canned stuff and a more rich in flavor. Also, if I am cooking with onions, I will use a packet of Lipton's Recipe Secrets onion soup mix, or beefy onion, this is good stuff for cooking deer in a crock pot let me tell you..

Also, I agree with searing the meat in a skillet on hi temp all over before you roast it. You want a good caramelizing of the outer layer, it seals in the natural juices and really makes the meat taste good before you even start roasting. Just brown it all over, turning in the skillet as needed. You can deglaze this skillet with your liquid that you will use, add this to the roasting pan or slow cooker as well.

I won't hijack the thread and post the roast pork recipe I used for New Year's Day dinner, but I will post the secrets to having a very flavorful roast and gravy to cook it in.... Ours came out just like this one from hoosierlogger, lots of nice gravy, meat falling all off the bone, oh yeah it was awesome too!