PDA

View Full Version : Strangely Short New Starline Brass

NavArch
12-12-2013, 08:24 PM
The Hornady reload book I have says that the min/max empty case length for .44 mag is 1.275/1.285". I just got some new Starline brass. Checking the first dozen or so, a number of them measured 1.269-1.274". What's the best way to ensure that these "shorties" produce an adequate crimp? Am I just stuck with some unusable brass?

Thanks.

Sweetpea
12-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Some folks 'round here would load them as-is.

Personally, I would trim them all to the length of the shortest one, and go from there.

Brandon

seaboltm
12-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I would load them as is. A Lee FCD is not picky about case length. Head space is not an issue due to the rim.

NSB
12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Size them and they'll get longer. They should be fine, not that much variation. Trim after using them one time and always after sizing first.

clownbear69
12-12-2013, 08:50 PM
They are still usable. It's too short for mag but to long for special.

As stated I'd trim all to the shortest length but would for sure keep them separate from your standard length mag brass

seaboltm
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I say they are fine for mag. When seated the bullet will still take up the same powder volume, meaning the remaining volume for powder will be the same regardless of case size (for this small deviation). Seating depth is dependent on the case head and the bullet seater adjustment, not case length. Some people use the same principle to use 357 Maximum load data in 357 Magnum brass, which works fine. The bullet just isn't seated very deeply into the case, but who cares?

Ickisrulz
12-12-2013, 09:27 PM
From Starline's FAQ

"Trim-to-lengths given in most manuals often confuse people if they are unsure of their actual purpose. Most manuals generate their own trim-to-lengths from SAAMI maximum cartridge drawings. They usually pick a number just below the SAAMI maximum and state this as the recommended trim-to-length. Depending on specific caliber, some cases will shrink and others will grow when fired and reloaded. The trim-to-length is trying to say: "If case is longer than trim-to-length, then trim back to this." The confusion comes in when people purchase new brass and want to trim it back to trim-to-length stated in the manual. One must understand that a manufacturer will not produce cases at maximum length and that we as manufacturers must have a reasonable tolerance to work with. Most people do not wish to trim brass, so at Starline, Inc., we operate a tolerance of .005 below SAAMI maximum and that window ranges from .003 to .010 below, depending on the caliber. All auto-feeding cartridges are held within .004, and revolver normally is within .005.

The trim-to-length we recommend for peak performance is a variation of no more than .005 and length within .010 of published trim-to-lengths, but never exceeding trim-to-lengths.

Remember, consistency in length relating to consistent crimp is more important than all cases being the same length as the trim-to-length in manuals, assuming it is not too long."

http://www.starlinebrass.com/faqs/index.cfm

NavArch
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks to all, especially to Ickisrulz for giving me that "Duh" moment by pointing out that Starline has an FAQ. :-) This definitely gives me a good excuse for buying a case trimmer.

Piedmont
12-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us never measure our handgun cases anyway. If it is a hair short to crimp well with your normal die setting, screw the crimper in a bit deeper for that batch of Starline cases. You would have to segregate them, of course.