PDA

View Full Version : Remington 591 22 rifle

eveready
12-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a Remington Model 597 22 semi auto rifle? My local Wally World has one with a scope for a very good price. It has a grey fiberglass stock and looks pretty decent. Thanks

clodhopper
12-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Remington 597 rifles can be accurate, reliable shooters.
That being said first time I took one apart to see what makes it tick, the progression from metal parts to injection molded trigger groups is more progress than I want. Makes the 10-22ruger plastic trigger group look very good in comparision.
The stock is also injection molded plastic. The remington stock is stable untill you apply pressure.
An inexpensive plinker, should be easy to fix, remeber you get what you pay for, or even less.
I do not own one, but helped the owner of one figure out why the saftey was stuck.
If you buy one and have trouble with the saftey, it is easy for stuff to fall into the trigger group, gravity takes it to the trigger/saftey point of engagement. compressed air, or just turing the trigger group upside down and shaking vigirously may clear the problem.

starmac
12-29-2013, 04:26 AM
I bought one (didn't even have iron sights) withthe intention of using it for a beat around gun. It was my first plastic stock gun, and I just couldn't grow to like it, so gave it to my son for a trap line/ snowmachine gun. Mine had problems feeding with the factory mags, I have heard remington has improved this.