PDA

View Full Version : What's This Boolit?...

BCB
12-12-2013, 04:29 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2q9xjk8.jpg

I got a bunch of these in a purchase I made for reloading stuff. They were in a Ziploc bag and there must be around 75 of them…

They are 357”± and have a SAECO hardness of 3-4 which indicates pure lead. But, they appear to be copper coated…

If they are seated in a 357 Magnum case to the cannelure they have an O.C.L. of 1.785”. A bit too long for the 357 Magnum…

Any thoughts what this critter might be for?...

Thanks…BCB

bangerjim
12-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Feedstock for your casting pot?

It is really not worth having only 75 of a "bastard" slug to worry about loading for. Melt them down and make something you know and use!

I do it all the time.

banger

dondiego
12-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Shoot them in .38 brass in your .357. Seat to cannelure.

dbosman
12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Copper washed or plated.
Seat the semi wad cutter flush with the case mouth.
As bangerjim said, though, 75 isn't worth much work. The copper will float in your smelt.

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Looks like a factory swaged projo with a copper wash (as noted above) often called Lubaloy (copper and zinc alloy) by Winchester-Western if my memory serves. Rounds with this lube were quite common in the 60s and 70s. Before going to JHP +P 38 Special, the agency I worked for issued copper wash 38 Specials, but with a round nose profile.

I never found the lube to be particularly efficient at higher velocities, but perhaps that was because the boolits were swaged and thus very soft. Load 'em up to to 38 special pressure and velocity over the usual suspect powders for a 38 and you'll find them more than satisfactory for plinking.

This lube is still common on high velocity .22RF rounds where it works quite well.

Larry Gibson
12-12-2013, 07:37 PM
+1 on Scharfschuetzer's input. A light coat of LLA wouldn't hurt either.

Larry Gibson

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
I might add that what is being considered as a cannelure for crimping is probably a lube groove for traditional lubricants when this bullet was lubed with the traditional wax lube of the time. I'm sure the factories used the same swaging dies for bullets with either lube.

bhn22
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
3D copper plated SWC from Doniphan, NE. They went out of business ages ago.

BCB
12-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks...

Those answers are what I was hoping for. A bit of history about that boolit...

I will still probably shoot them rather than melt them down. Some type of fast burner and just shot at some of my steel targets at closer ranges...

How did they get the copper wash on the lead?...

Thanks...BCB

bhn22
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
It's actually plated. That was one of their issues. Copper plating generates hazardous byproducts. They can be expensive to get rid of. Plus they had some quality issues off and on with some reloads. They were also a commercial reloader that supplied area police agencies with practice & qualification ammo. They reportedly had some QC issues there, and everything sort of crumbled on them. Their bullets were really good, and well-priced. They are soft however, as you might expect.

bangerjim
12-13-2013, 01:16 PM
There are several videos on the net of guys CU plating their lead boolits in their home shops. Not very thick and I really do not see the gain for all the work. Commercial rotary platers are more efficient, but they are big and expensive.

I prefer powder coating applied with an electrostatic gun.

banger

mdi
12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I'd keep a dozen for posterity, and melt the rest...:mrgreen:

w5pv
12-13-2013, 03:14 PM
That is what I like about casting,if you don't like it put back in the melting pot/

David2011
12-14-2013, 03:05 AM
These must be rare, vintage collectible antique revolver bullets. AUCTION ITEM!

David