PDA

View Full Version : Questions about smelting???

customcutter
12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
First time smelting, so here goes.

I tried smelting 50# of roofing lead this AM. It appeared clean other than some tar that was on it. I melted the lead in a 6qt dutch oven from HF on my turkey fryer burner. After melting it I dipped off about 1/2" of carbon from the burnt tar, added a handful of cedar (pet bedding mtl), and started stirring after it burnt off. I could feel a burnt spot on the bottom of the pot and kept trying to stir, chip, break it up, but never could get it all off. I tried for over an hour. I fluxed with the cedar chips at least 6 times and never could get rid of a "gold" color on top of the melted lead. I didn't see any carbon or other material floating on the top but think the gold color was due to small particles of carbon floating on the top. I plan on using the ignots I made to make core's for swaging .223, 9mm, .40, & .45

What's causing the gold color?
Do you stir the wood chips in before or after they have burnt off?
Are the ignots I poured clean enough or should I re-smelt before using them in my Lee Pro 4-20?
I read that wood is fluxing and wax is rendering. If fluxing removes impurities, what does rendering do??

thanks in advance,
CC

Spawn-Inc
12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
It's no big deal, but the lead is to hot and oxidizes.

Or it could be a bit of tin in the mix oxidizing to.

Regardless, nothing to worry about.

customcutter
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Spawn,

Thanks, I had wondered about that also. I guess thermometer will be next. Haven't seen any that go that high, might have to check out the HF IR ones to see if they go that high.

ffries61
12-12-2013, 04:10 PM
This is the thermometer I've been using. About 30$ shipped.

Fred

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225R-Replacement-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B0055777EU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386878905&sr=8-3&keywords=casting+thermometer

bangerjim
12-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Gold/purple/blue is not a problem with pure lead! It will always do that, especially if you are too hot.

Alloy it up and cast some bangers!

banger

dbosman
12-12-2013, 05:27 PM
IR thermometers have not been accurate for reflective surfaces.
A 1000 degree casting thermometer runs a little over $30.

customcutter
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I guess a lot of people have tried the laser IR thermometers. I also got two PM's about them. Thanks for saving me $30 at HF. I did notice as I started dipping the lead out of the pot that I got a few stringers of purple running through it. I guess the heat was getting up there.

thanks guys,
CC

lwknight
12-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Also you need not do any other other fluxing when you have roofing tar in the mix. It has pine tar and other good stuff.
Roofing tar is the best everything flux/reducer in the world. No one uses it intentionally because its soooo nasty.

Teddy (punchie)
12-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Sound like it was covered.

I would add, I think plastic may have something to do with it or sap from the wood saw dust .

When we melting, the main heat on the turkey frier fame, in a 5 gallon metal bucket up to 60-70 lbs at a time (50 lbs is good gets too heavy). Then take to a reflux on the Coleman stove and pour into molds from 1/2 lb. to 2 lbs. In the second step I see the color go from a brown tan top to a clearer silver. As things cool just a little I start to pour into molds.

Our next trip to range we are making a c-canal from a tractor frame to load up and let the lead melt and collect in puddles at bottom. Takes too much time to clean all the rocks, load unfired ammo, and other junk out.

Small patches I started with is when I thought it was plastic in the range scrap, copper would be green, then I added some wood just shaved from a 2x4 and I seen that tan color again.

Boy the range lead looks good, sound good and hard, ww not as hard looks good, pure lead is turning a frosty gray.