PDA

View Full Version : ??Adding Wave Washer to Sprue Plate Screw??

Grump
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Some of the moulds around here have washers, some don't, and my mechanic's sensibilities make me want to put wave washers on those that don't have anything for the sprue plate screw.

I'm also tempted to put the star type lock washers on the set screws too.

Worth it? Makes little difference with iron and temps we run moulds at?

Comments, cautions, recommendations???

SWANEEDB
12-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I put wave washers where ever I can, pivot point on the mold handles for one, use a long allen screw on the pivot of the sprue plate with the nuts with an integrated star type washer which turns with the plate, I like doing this it leaves the screw in the mold, so easy to mess up the threads on an aluminum mold, they can be very unforgiving, if I have you confused I'll see about taking some pic's.

ohland
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
What is the wave spring's deflection force, in pounds?

'74 sharps
12-12-2013, 12:01 PM
The washer is called a belleville washer............

Mal Paso
12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
One brass mold with wear on the outside edge of the mold where the bolt is got me thinking.

I only need pressure on the inside of the sprue plate. I made a ball and spring assembly to only put pressure in one spot and aligned it with the sprue plate stop (white dot).

Works great! I've modified 2 molds. Cast over 70 lbs of boolits so far. MP molds have a collar around the pivot screw that the assembly sits on.

rattletrap1970
12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
There are wave washers and there are bellville washers. Two different things. Bellvilles are cone shaped, wave washers are, well, wavy. Belvilles tend to be for higher load applications from what I've seen. I use them, they work fine.

Guesser
12-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a few Lyman/Ideal molds that came new with the cone shaped "bellville" washers. I have replaced most of my sprue plate screw washers with "wave" washers. metric size 6MM, just add them to the stack next to the plate. I wondered about heat softening, long term, been 4 years and none have softened yet.

Grump
12-12-2013, 01:03 PM
There are wave washers and there are bellville washers. Two different things. Bellvilles are cone shaped, wave washers are, well, wavy. Belvilles tend to be for higher load applications from what I've seen. I use them, they work fine.

Grammar Nazi at work here: Which "them" do you use which work fine???

paul h
12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
wave washer

http://www.mitafasteners.com/images/washers/Wave%20Washer.jpg

belleville washer

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/Accessories/images/FST-BW-04_600.jpg

Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've never had real issues with sprueplates that don't have pressure exerted on them by a wave or belleville washer.

Based on my experience, the perfect sprueplate (note lack of washer)

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Casting/5a4ee19f.jpg

rattletrap1970
12-13-2013, 05:45 AM
I left my participle dangling again...

Echo
12-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Control yourself! This is a mixed forum!

ohland
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Don't let your participle dangle in the dirt, pick up your participle and tie it in your shirt....

myg30
12-14-2013, 11:56 AM
" Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've never had real issues with sprueplates that don't have pressure exerted on them by a wave or belleville washer."

Paul H, Your lucky and also your so far north, that there is no mold heat expansion in Alaska ! Great pictures too, thank you.

Mike

William Yanda
12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Lee Precision-the Manufacturer-calls them wave washers. In my mind Bellville washers are something else-check McMaster-Carr or some other supply source. Wiki says they are also called cone-spring washers, something altogether different.
Let's not perpetuate disinformation.
Respectfully
Bill
Didn't mean to pile on-or show off. I just wanted to share correct information and did so before seeing that the correction had already been made. Photographically no less.

leadman
12-15-2013, 04:25 AM
A standard split lock washer works great if you flatten out the ends of the washer with a file. My older Lyman molds came new equipped with them. If you don't file the ends flat the dig in and cause problems.
For the Lee 6 cavity that I flatten the bottom of the sprue plate on my belt sander I add an appropriate number of wave washers from Ace hardware.

chumly2071
03-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Necro'ing an old thread, but a good replacement for the wave washers on a Lee 6 cavity mold is for an M8 DIN137A (or DIN 137 type A). 0.5mm thick, for a nominal M8 bolt. A DIN137B is 0.8mm thick, and is too thick to allow the sprue pivot bolt to tighten against its shoulder without clamping the sprue tight to the mold block.

Valley-Shooter
03-02-2020, 11:55 PM
I always add a wave washer when I'm fixing up an old iron mold. Those old lock washers have no spring left in them.