PDA

View Full Version : Nazis symbol on a Mauser 98 action

atr
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I just picked up a Mauser 98 action....very low serial number....and it has a Nazis symbol stamped on the left side of the receiver where the barrel screws into the receiver.....
can anyone tell me something about this M98 action....? ...signifiance of the symbol?
thanks
atr

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Without knowing more or seeing pictures, we can assume it was either confiscated by or manufactured by Nazi Germany. These range in quality from excellent in the pre-war or early war years to down right horrible (in many examples) in late war production. Late war rifles were known to have cut a lot of corners as apparently the German war effort was not going so well. :smile: I have built a lot of Mauser projects and I personally always avoid the Nazi proofed ones because 1, they can be of unknown quality and I am too lazy to investigate because 2, there are a lot Mauser's out there with no issues to investigate that can be had.

Japlmg
12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
You would have to give us all the markings on the receiver and on the barrel (if there is a barrel) for us to tell you much.
Photos would also be very helpful.
Low serial number means nothing, as the Germans started the serial number at 0001 every year, and when they hit 9999, they moved back to 0001 a, 0001 b, 0001 c and etc.
You should find markings on the receiver like bfy 44.
That is the manufacturer's code and the year manufactured.
Gregg

UBER7MM
12-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Atr,
I believe what you're talking about are armorer's markings. (Small Nazi eagle, wings spread out holding a swastika) Also, there is a factory code usually found on the top of the breach. This is what I could find first hand:
http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html
Its a start in your quest. I hope this helps,

dbosman
12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
And, don't forget the counterfeits.

MtGun44
12-12-2013, 02:23 AM
It means that it was built by the Nazis.

Bill

smkummer
12-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Often waffenhampts (sp) are confused for the Nazi symbol.

Petrol & Powder
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
And, don't forget the counterfeits.
I'll second this. I've seen several fakes at gun shows that were stamped with a Nazi proof mark or acceptance stamp in an attempt to get a higher price for a sub-par gun. I even once saw a Nazi proof mark punch advertised for sale.
If it is a real acceptance mark, it shows the gun was made under Nazi control (A Nazi controlled factory in Germany OR they took over the factory, such as the FN plant). Sometimes the gun was captured stock that was accepted into the German military.
UBER7MM put you on the right track and provided the best place for you to start your research.

w5pv
12-12-2013, 11:22 AM
For the collectors value I was told to leave the Nazi symbol on a 9mm I had

groovy mike
12-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I just picked up a Mauser 98 action....can anyone tell me something about this M98 action....? ...signifiance of the symbol?
thanks
atr

K98 rifle was a widely used shoulder arm in WW2 by the Germans

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2013, 01:25 PM
The Waffenamt Druck or Stempel was used to indicate that a part or a weapon had passed inspection by the "Waffenamt" located at the factory producing the part and was used on many items produced for the Wehrmacht (defense force in German) during the Nazi era (1933 to 1945). Waffenamt literally means "Weapons Office" and each facility engaged in military production had a number of government inspectors in an "Amt" and each of these offices had a code number with the stylized Nazi eagle that was usually stamped on each part large enough to bear it when it passed inspection. Some of these stamps bear the Swastika but many don't. The German abbreviation for Waffenamt is "WaA" and you'll often see this abbreviation along with the ID number of the office in the stamp.

As each Waffenamt had its own ID number, many collectors use this knowledge to help identify original parts on a Mauser, Walther or any other Nazi era weapon. Late in the war, many parts were sub-contracted out and you'll often see numerous "Waffenamt" IDs on a individual weapon.

These stamps are analogous (but more specific and informative) to the US Military's visual proof eagle stamp (on wood and metal) and Circle P (on wood stocks) markings on American small arms prior to the 50s.

Uber7mm, thanks for posting that link to the manufacturer's codes (Herstellercodes).

Here is a link to the various "Waffenamt" codes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenamt_codes

ATR, The location you describe on your action is the normal place to find a "Waffenamt."

A rifle that has been rebuilt during WWII in a German run armory will often have more than one Waffenamt stamped on the receiver.

I might also add that what looks to be a low number may not be low at all. Mauser serial numbers were usually alphanumeric and assigned by manufacturer and year and then had a letter suffix to further ID the weapon. Most Mausers cary a serial number with three or four digits and a single letter suffix, but there are Mausers with five digit numbers.

An example made at Mauser-Oberndorf in early 1943 would be: BYF 43 4250a

It looks to be a low number with the 4350a on the left side of the receiver ring, but in reality is a very high number made just a year and a half before the war ended.

Waffenamt locations on a BYF WWII Mauser:

gew98
12-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Scharf ; the two proofs you highlight in your picture are not WaA proofs but are "beschusstempel" .Or in english firing proofs.
The germans applied pressure test firing proofs on all small arms they produced and many they captured and reissued and or refurbished.

PS - the rifle in the pic you used also has the recoil crossbolt assembled "backwards"...the spanner nuts are always on the bolt handle side of the rifle stocks.

Scharfschuetze
12-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks gew98. I stand corrected.

atr
12-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Scharfschuetzer..
thanks for your post and the picture....the side of the action you show looks exactly like what is on my action that is the Waffenamt symbol and the Mod98

and thanks to Uber7mm for your post....was very useful.

atr
ps....the action I have was rebarreled to a 35 Whelen and it is a great shooter !

UBER7MM
12-14-2013, 04:34 PM
atr
ps....the action I have was rebarreled to a 35 Whelen and it is a great shooter !

ATR,
Send upload some photos, and in the process if possible. We'd all like to see the beast.
Thanks in advance,