PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Regulations

Guy La Pourque
12-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Just curious - do you long range BPCR guys wipe between the shots at your competitions? Is it necessary with BPCR guns? I just fired my first home-made black powder cartridges today and pulled a ton of powder fouling out after 20 shots through my lever gun...

country gent
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
After playing with bullets powders wads lubes compressions and all. When everything is right charge of powder, wad size thickness material, compression of powder. lube and amount of, bullet. burning becomes more effient and fouling goes down. I do blow tube between shots 2-3 breaths. and clean between stages. Normally 3 wet patches Ballistol water and a couple dry.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Most of the Long Range shooters wipe between shots with BP.

KW

Jeff Houck
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Most of the Long Range shooters wipe between shots with BP.

KW

What is the prefered wiping solution? 10% ballistol seems to work reasonably well, but is there something better?
Jeff Houck

hickstick_10
12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Just curious - do you long range BPCR guys wipe between the shots at your competitions? Is it necessary with BPCR guns? I just fired my first home-made black powder cartridges today and pulled a ton of powder fouling out after 20 shots through my lever gun...

What bullet are you casting, what lube are you using and what powder are you burning?

As far as the guns concerned what model is it?

Dont mean to play 20 questions, but if you're emptying the magazine on a lever action your fowling problems and solutions are a little different then with a single shot.

'74 sharps
12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
What is the prefered wiping solution? 10% ballistol seems to work reasonably well, but is there something better?
Jeff Houck
BP fouling is water soluble, so no need for any solutions sold as "black powder cleaning". The water & Ballistol will work fine, and the mix is called "moose milk".

Don McDowell
12-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Jeff the most commonly used wiping solution is a mix of water soluble oil (usually NAPA brand) and water. Some use Murphy's Soap Oil and water mix. Some use an antifreeze and water mix. The one thing they all do when wiping between shots is follow the damp with one or two dry's and swab the chamber before loading the next round.

Baja_Traveler
12-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I swab with my sharps, but don't do anything when shooting black out of my Win 94 38-55. Using a high quality powder like Swiss with the proper compression I have never had an issue with fouling during a normal silhouette match (40 rounds plus 10-15 practice).

Old Caster
12-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I would say 10% wipe between shots and 85% blow through a tube and 5% use Pyrodex and don't need to do anything through a BPCR match. Pyrodex leaves less fouling but is even more corrosive than black plus it is a lot harder to load accurate bullets with it mainly because of the way it settles different each time it is poured unless poured very very slowly whereas with Swiss it isn't necessary and other manufacturers only slightly necessary. They all have to cleaned but with Pyrodex you must be extra careful to get it clean and do it the same day no matter what.

Gunlaker
12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
It's not necessary to wipe, but you will want some strategy for dealing with fouling. Fouling management isn't just about keeping the bore clean enough to chamber another cartridge, it's also about maintaining consistent bore condition. You can learn a lot by spending some time shooting over a chronograph and experimenting with you fouling management routine.

Chris.

John Allen
12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I prefer blow tubes myself. I do run a cookie behind the bullet.

ELFEGO BACA
12-15-2013, 10:06 PM
In my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps I blow tube after every shot.
In yesterday's match I fired 23 shots before cleaning.
Of ten shooters I came in 2nd place!