PDA

View Full Version : Got a Lee Lube/Sizer Kit and question

Blackhawk Convertable
11-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Got a question concerning the Lee Lube and Sizer kit.

You lube the boolits and then run thru the sizer. Do you re lube afterwards? Or does enough stay on even after sizing?

woody1
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Got a question concerning the Lee Lube and Sizer kit.

You lube the boolits and then run thru the sizer. Do you re lube afterwards? Or does enough stay on even after sizing?

I relube after sizing if using alox or jpw. I believe Lee recommends relubing after sizing if using their tumble lube method. Regards, Woody

whisler
11-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I believe it is Richocet that recommends using soapy water to lube for sizing and then tumble lubing afterwards.
Sounds like it should save lube.

NSP64
11-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I have been sizing then lubing.

Ben
11-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I buy a $2 can of Costal Brand Moly Grease at an Auto Parts store.

Get a clean ink pad that has no ink on it. Rub a thin coat of the Black Moly grease on the pad. Roll the bullets on the pad, push them through the sizer. Don't try to remove any of the moly lubricant that is on the bullets after sizing.

Coat the bullets that have been through the sizer with Lee Liquid Alox , allow to dry over night, and you are good to go.....

Ben

Cloudpeak
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I use a very light spray of Hornady "One Shot" case lube on the as-cast bullets, size and then LLA and it works well for me.

Cloudpeak

scrat
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
i double lla.

lube them then let them dry over nite then size them. then lube again.

Yes some lube will come off around the rings when you go to seat the bullet. But thats normal.

NOW if my wife is at work or is going to be gone for a long time. i will lube them. then throw them on a cookie sheet with a sheet of wax paper. then put the oven on 200 degrees and throw them in the oven for about 30 minutes. then pull them out and as soon as they cool start to size. As i air out the house.

Ricochet
11-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I use soapy water or liquid soap for the sizing lube and rinse it off with water after sizing if I'm going to heat treat in the oven afterward. (Even pulling boolits straight out of the quench water and sizing them while wet usually works fine.) No point sticking boolits coated with LLA in the oven and having to face the wrath of the missus. Then I tumble or dip lube after drying the quenched boolits. I've found that if I'm not going to do the oven treatment thing, and the boolits are already dry, doing it the Lee way with a light coat of LLA prior to sizing and another afterwards works mighty well.

truckmsl
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Ricochet - maybe you should try water quenching in soapy water before you put 'em through the Lee sizer!

Ghugly
12-12-2007, 10:48 PM
i double lla.

lube them then let them dry over nite then size them. then lube again.

Yes some lube will come off around the rings when you go to seat the bullet. But thats normal.

NOW if my wife is at work or is going to be gone for a long time. i will lube them. then throw them on a cookie sheet with a sheet of wax paper. then put the oven on 200 degrees and throw them in the oven for about 30 minutes. then pull them out and as soon as they cool start to size. As i air out the house.

LLA in the oven? You sir, are a braver man than I. My wife would kill me.......dead.

hotwheelz
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I have been using the lee tumble lubel in 9mm 124 rn, 40 175 wad cutter, and the 45 200 wad cutter and I have never sized one of them and have had no problems. I have a couple friends that turned me on to the tl and neither of them size there bullets either. Cast lube let stand overnight load and shoot um up JMHO

Ricochet
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I cast a bunch of Soup Cans last night, intended to go through Nagant revolvers unchecked. Sized 'em to .311" for this. As I'd water dropped them, I immediately started running them through the sizer while they were wet right out of the drop bucket. Immediately after dropping they're very soft and the water is a pretty good lube. But 450 is just too many to do that way. By the time I'd gotten about 300 sized, they started hardening enough that the water film broke down under pressure and boolits started seizing in the die. I switched to soapy water. They got easy to size again, right to the end of the batch.

Goatlips
12-17-2007, 12:51 AM
"You lube the boolits and then run thru the sizer. Do you re lube afterwards? "

I pan lube, then shove 'em up through the Lee sizer to clean them up a bit and rip off the fins and feathers if any. They all shoot well for Cowboy Action fun. :Fire:

Goatlips

Castinoff
12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm with Hotwheelz on this one. I don't size 9mm or 40. I just water quench 'em, tumble w/LLA, dry and load. Has worked fine so far

Cloudpeak
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm with Hotwheelz on this one. I don't size 9mm or 40. I just water quench 'em, tumble w/LLA, dry and load. Has worked fine so far

And, I disagree. Perhaps I'm being too conservative?

It seems most of my Lee six cavity molds drop varying diameter bullets from cavity to cavity. Also, the type of alloy, heat of alloy and whether the bullets are water or air cooled can affect bullet diameter. Sometimes, you may not have the mold halves closed all of the way due to a bit of debris between the halves which will really increase diameter.

I notice when sizing that some bullets push very hard through the Lee sizer after many bullets go though without too much trouble. I would think these same bullets, when fired, would increase pressure quite a bit. Perhaps not a problem with 45 ACP but 9mm and 40 cal are high pressure rounds. If a guy is pushing the upper limits (which I never do as all my cast rounds are light to moderate loads), could you not get into some high pressure problems pretty quick?

It also seems to me that, from an accuracy standpoint, it would be desirable to have consistant bullet diameters. This is my primary reason for sizing everything.

Cloudpeak

racepres
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
None of my affair how others do!!! I use my Lubrisizer as a lubrication, applicator Only!
If I thought that the sizer die was indeed "resizing" my boolits.. I would order a larger one!!!
If you can apply lube w/o sizing... That is what I would do... Others will cry "foul".. but... works for me... Try it for You.. MV

Ghugly
12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Richard Lee points out that the boolits are going to be resized, either by the chamber, forcing cone, bore, or by the sizer or both. The pressure required for the gun to size the boolit is so slight compared to the pressures involved when a cartridge is fired as to be insignificant. For light to moderate loads in plinking rounds I think he's probably right.

scrat
12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
LLA in the oven? You sir, are a braver man than I. My wife would kill me.......dead.

Ive only been caught once. :mrgreen:

JIMinPHX
12-19-2007, 01:36 AM
I lube with diluted LLA that I cleaned off the tray from my last batch before sizing, then relube with fresh LLA & dry overnight. I only dip them in the fresh lube half way down the side of the slug. Less mess in the dies later on that way.

crazy mark
12-19-2007, 01:49 AM
I lube with diluted LLA that I cleaned off the tray from my last batch before sizing, then relube with fresh LLA & dry overnight. I only dip them in the fresh lube half way down the side of the slug. Less mess in the dies later on that way.

Ive only been caught once. :mrgreen:

I have my own oven now that the wife is 220 miles away most of the time. Even at the house she lives in there is 2 ovens in the house and one out in the wood shed. Makes it hard for her to get mad at me.....Mark

scrat
12-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I have my own oven now that the wife is 220 miles away most of the time. Even at the house she lives in there is 2 ovens in the house and one out in the wood shed. Makes it hard for her to get mad at me.....Mark

then you know how good it is to oven bake them.

:coffee:

Andy_P
12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I've only ever lubed, sized, then loaded and shot. No second round of lubing.

I used to tumble lube then stand them up on waxed paper to dry, but now warm up some (Alox) lube in warm water, pour some into a shallow container, dip and stand on the waxed paper.