PDA

View Full Version : More BS or What??

Theditchman
12-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I have heard that if you manufacture bullets for obsolete rifles and pistols only you don't need a liscense....What do you think ??:?::?:

dbosman
12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Please define an obsolete bullet.
If you didn't hear, in writing, from your local ATF office - than it's safe to say it ain't so.

dbosman
12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Please define an obsolete bullet.
If you didn't hear, in writing, from your local ATF office - than it's safe to say it ain't so.

w5pv
12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I Don't know but I would vote BS

Cane_man
12-11-2013, 03:49 PM
i call BS too

Reload3006
12-11-2013, 04:21 PM
you dont need ITAR or a FFL if you dont sell any. So it doesn't matter if its current or obsolete. if its for your own personal use no problem. If you sell any watch out.

xman777
12-11-2013, 05:13 PM
A spade is a spade, a boolit is a boolit. Don't sell em without going through the proper networks. My .02

Nickle
12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
As best I know (I've been wrong before, but not often, and when I am wrong, some folks have turned nasty), you need an ATF license to manufacture ammo, EVEN FOR OLDER (pre 1898) firearms. You also must pay Excise Tax, and you must register for ITAR ($2250.00 per year).

Now, the definition of manufacture here is manufacture for sale. For yourself, it's legal, no license needed, no ITAR needed.

Making bullets, cast or swaged, for resale is the same as ammo, same rules, same fees.

A strong word to the wise here. The ATF isn't a bunch of dummies, nor do they "look the other way" at minor infractions. They know what to look for and aren't fooled easily. They can sift through a BS story very quickly, and will prosecute. So, DON'T try to "get around" them in any way, form, shape or manner. It's just simply not worth the potential trouble (jail and massive fines). Some businesses out there are trying to "fly under the radar", and haven't been caught yet. Prosecutions are working all the time, and eventually they will get caught. Kind of hard to beat, as pleading ignorance doesn't work, and IF you've paid excise tax, there's the proof of sales.

Yes, ITAR compliance means you must get an Import/Export license, even though you don't import or export. I don't agree with their reasoning in requiring that, nor it's real legality, but that's not relevant. A flawed law/regulation is still a requirement.

The ATF doesn't regulate ITAR, the Department of State is responsible for this, look here:

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

ReloaderFred
12-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Nickle is correct. We're going through that process right now.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Theditchman
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't make and sell to anyone at this time...but I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about this

Garyshome
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I have no OPINION.

perotter
12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Even if the ATF didn't fine or prosecute you, there isn't much chance you'll have any equipment or supplies to make bullets with.

runfiverun
12-12-2013, 08:30 AM
besides the taxing and licensing.
the issue becomes what is an obsolete cartridge bullet?
the 43 Spanish? or Egyptian? well they take the same boolit diameter as a 44 magnum.
how's about that 50 maynard pin fire? same diameter as the 500 S&W..
477 reece special? probably the same as the 480 ruger.
if not they are close enough for government work [ers], or at least by the time you prove it ain't it won't matter anymore.

alleyoop
12-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Our obsolescence is state of the art in some countries.

kd185
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Making bullets, cast or swaged, for resale is the same as ammo, same rules, same fees.

I thought the FET tax was just on loaded ammo and not on boolits?
just asking as im looking into a few things

runfiverun
12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
it's on boolits too.
been there done that, still have a couple of the shirts with the company logo on them.

Epd230
12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Any of you guys live on an Indian reservation? Would a Native American businessman/partner change the legalities of this issue since they are considered their own sovereign nation?

Or would you just turn your ATF problem into an importing problem?

Theditchman
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I think Indian affairs are above the state law but not above federal law...

waksupi
12-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I think Indian affairs are above the state law but not above federal law...

You ought to see what's going on, on the Blackfoot reservation at the time!

mold maker
12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
There are some chances not worth taking. Recently less than 8 grand cost me over $1400. because I accepted bad advice on a tax matter.
I don't jump off clifts or cast for sale, trade or gifts. It just isn't worth it to mess with Uncle Sam, or BHO.

Dave18
12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
I think the current kiddies in this administration are going to get more aggressive yet on this type of stuff:-(

Theditchman
12-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I think your right...if they are making money at it no administration will ever stop it

Nickle
12-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Folks, the bad guys here aren't the ATF. The administer the licenses. That's just $30 for 3 years for a Type 06 or $150 for 3 years for a Type 07.

FET (excise tax) is administered by the IRS.

ITAR (import/export license) is the big one, $2250.00 per year. Administered by the State Department. Some folks have "flown under the radar" and will tell you it isn't needed. Well, they are slow about getting around to prosecute, but they have worked on it, and when they do, they make some pretty bad people look like saints in comparison.

Fines/penalties aren't small on this, and getting caught will almost certainly screw your gun rights up for life.