PDA

View Full Version : The Story of My S&W Model 36

Jeff82
12-11-2013, 09:55 AM
A few months ago, and after a lot of thought, I decided it was time for a snubnose revolver. As I'm really interested in law enforcement handguns from back in the day, I started looking for an S&W Model 36. I'm kind of picky about the guns I shoot. There are just too many guns and too little time. So, I only go with things that I in myu mind are "classics."

To make a long story short, I was in the local gunshop and ran across a new Model 36 from S&W's Classic line. I immediately bought it, and it is so cool! Later, out at the range I ran about 150 rounds through it. Super accurate and fun to shoot.

Then I noticed that the grips didn't fit the frame well. they were about 3mm longer than the bottom of the frame. So, I sent the grips back to S&W asking for ones that fit better. About a month later, S&W sent me knew grips. But these were hardly any better than the first pair. I'm not sure what's wrong with S&W, but it seems like this should be a simple thing to fix.

I put the new poorly fitting grips back on along with a really cool Tyler T-grip extension. My little Model 36 really rocks now. But, I think I'm going to have to try my hand at a little woodworking to try and retrofit the grips; not my forte'.

I like S&W's Classic line and have been thinking about buying a Model 10, or Model 15 or 19; If they ever make the later two. But, I am a bit put-off by my experience with the Model 36 grips. Seems like they should've done a better job.

ShooterAZ
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
While I love my older S&W revolvers...I'm really ticked at them for buying Thompson Center and running it into the ground. I don't know that I would buy a new S&W anything right now.

fecmech
12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
If you like 36's I thought you might like a pic of an old "flat latch" 36. A friend sold this to me back in the 70's. It is a 36, no dash number.

Char-Gar
12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I got my first Model 36 in 1965, but never could develop any love for it. On the round butt frame, the short distance between the backstrap and the trigger made it difficult to shoot for me. A set of Heretts grips made it much better, much better.

I then discovered the Model 36 square butt, which increased the distance between the trigger and the backstrap. For some reason Smith and Wesson discontinued this frame some years back. A bad mistake in my mind.

My current 36 is a 3" SB 1957 vintage pistol. A set of worked over factory target grips really helps me to shoot it well. Even so, I much prefer the Colt "D" frame in the Detective Special or Cobra. The former having a steel frame and the latter being aluminum. I find the Colt easier to shoot well.

A 3" barrel gives velocities closer to 4" than to the 2" versions. A good thing IMHO.

fecmech
12-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I then discovered the Model 36 square butt, which increased the distance between the trigger and the backstrap.
When I shoot my 36 I put the square butt grips from my Model 34 Kit Gun on. They fit the frame perfectly except they are about .5" longer at the base. When I carried the gun I used the SB grips also. Much easier to control and shoot accurately.

Jeff82
12-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Very nice model 36s. I found that adding the t-grip extension preserved the look of the revolver and transform the way it feels in the hand. Much more comfortable. One surprise for me when shooting it was that full-house 38-special rounds do have a pretty lively recoil. After shooting 100 rounds the back of my palm was slighlty bruised. I can't imagine trying that with a 357s snubnose.

philthephlier
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
My brother gave me his 36 after retiring from NYPD. It was his backup. I was surprised how accurate it was off sandbags. I have ex-large hands and have to shoot it with my pinky wrapped around the bottom of the grips to pull my bird finger below the trigger guard or I get nailed by it. They are nice little revolvers. My brother paid $47.50 for it NIB in 1971 as a NYPD special price. He thought he remembered the retail price wa a little over $50. A time long gone......

bedbugbilly
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I had been looking for a 3" Model 36 for a while - stopped in to the LGS that I go to and they had no used Smiths at all. So, I kept looking. I ran across a 36 snubbie about a month ago - a 1980s version - that was like new - looked like it had been a sock drawer gun and possibly unfired - pristine - and it had the box. I snapped it up at a little under $400 out the door. It's now my new carry and I love it.

Several weeks after getting it, I was in the LGS and the clerk wanted to show me a new 36 Classic they had just gotten in - he knew I'd want to buy it. I looked it over - it was very nice but I really didn't notice the grip fit on it - I was looking at the price tag at a little over $700. The clerk asked me if I wanted it at which point I told him I already had located a 36 that was like new. He went on to tell me "how much better" the "new classics" are . . . hmmmm . . . I kinda doubt that it would shoot any better than my older one does . . . at a much cheaper price.

I haven't seen the "Model 10 classics" that are being made . . . no one seems to have one where I'm at . . . but a vintage one is on my #1 must buy list. I just picked up a 1955 Pre 15 Combat Masterpiece and a Pre 10 - both excellent shooters.

Congrats on your new Model 36 . . . you'll get the grips fitted without a whole lot of trouble. It's odd that S & W would allow/put up with such poor fits as what you are describing . . . but then, that unfortunately, that's seems to be the way things are in today's world. For the price of the "classics", it just seems like they ought to be better than that.

Enjoy your new 36 . . . if you get a "Model 10 classic" - I hope you'll post some photos of it - I'd love to see one and hear what you think of it. There are a lot of good revolvers out there - by various makers - but to me, the Model 10 is just about the best all around revolver there is.

Char-Gar
12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Smith and Wesson are very proud of their "classic" model 10s and are priced accordingly. I should think you should be able to buy a real one for considerably less and pocket the extra money. Model 10s and the Military and Police (predecessor) are still common on the used market. Most likely there would be a better handgun and certainly would not have all of the internal changes that have been added to reduce liability.

Here are two M&Ps (1913 and 1931, plus a 60's skinny barrel Model 10 and a later heavy barrel (Model 64) stainless, all in 38 Special.

Hardcast416taylor
12-12-2013, 05:12 PM
My used 36 came with Pachmyers on it. I got a set of original wood grips from a site member and I`ve enjoyed it for the years I`ve had it now.Robert

Jeff82
12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
I drool over the Model 10 and 36s. One thing I like about the classic series is that they all have what I call conventional firing pins (not with the pin integrated into the hammer). That said I should probably pay more attention to the used market as those are the real thing.

Char-Gar
12-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, conventional firing pins were mounted on the hammer nose. When the 357 Magnum came along, there were at times with certain models problems with primers flowing back. This could tie up the cylinder. Frame mounted firing pins came into being. They were spring loaded so they worked independent of the hammer.

Absent high pressure loading and soft primers, there is no particular advantage, as far as I can tell, to the frame mounted firing pin. In 50 plus years of revolver shooting with many different firearms, I have never had any problems associated with hammer mounted firing pins.

As far as I know, hammer mounted firing pins were used for the entire production of the Models 10, 36 and a host of others. I do not have a single 38 Special with a frame mounted firing pin and I have quite a few.

FergusonTO35
12-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I bought a new, no lock 642 recently and while its not "classic" by any means it is a nice little pocket rocket. At least from a performance standpoint I don't feel like its any less good of a gun than my 1967 10-5. Time will tell, I suppose. Some cartridges and guns were divinely appointed for each other. The S&W J and K frames are just as well mated to the .38 Special as the 1911 is to the .45 Auto and the Marlin 336 is to the .30 WCF.

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Over the years I've enjoyed using a Model 36, a 36 3" heavy barrel, a 37 Airweight and my current Model 60s, a 38 Special and a .357 with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. All but the 3" Model 60 in .357 were used as an LEO at different times.

This Model 60 (no dash) has been carried regularly for something like 35 years now. It once had the original wood grips with a Tyler T Grip, but those grips pretty much were worn out so now it wears the grips you see on it now. I liked the original grips with the T Grip, but in reality, these grips are much better for shooting.

Vulcan Bob
12-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Way to go, every one should have a snubby! As for the grips S&W closed their wood shop a long time ago and uses outside vendors for their grips. In my opinion most all of their wood grips are of poor quality these days and some of em are so poorly designed that they draw blood (for my hand) whilst shooting. This is not a deal breaker for me as I have bought a few of their classics but new grips for em are the first thing done.

philthephlier
12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
90377This 36 was my brothers off duty piece in NYPD. He gave it to me when he retired after 30 years. It was his off duty gun. His service revolver was the heavy 4" barrel model 10 which he kept. The hammer spur was broken from a drop on his locker room floor. I bought a replacement hammer on Gunbroker and bobbed the broken hammer and sold it for what I paid for the replacement. I was surprised how accurate it was from sand bags. It had no trouble keeping a cylinder full under 3" at 50 feet. Nice smooth action and a nicely made revolver. He said he paid $47.50 for it in 1971, the NYPD price. He thought he remembered the civilian price was $49.95. Days long gone.

Jeff82
12-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I thought I'd take a shot a trimming the factory grips to improve the fit. Looking at it last night I now realize that it's beyond my woodworking talents. Does anyone know of a grip maker who can more or less duplicate the factory splinter grips?

Charley
12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Have a Model 36, probably produced 1963-64, bought it from a gunsmith friend. He took it in trade from a former SAPD officer, who had the hammer bobbed years earlier, and carried it a his backup. Still a shooter.

Ed K
12-14-2013, 09:40 AM
While I love my older S&W revolvers...I'm really ticked at them for buying Thompson Center and running it into the ground. I don't know that I would buy a new S&W anything right now.

I just have to second this remark. I have had a fairly close relationship with TC: Contenders, BP rifles, etc. They were close enough to trot over to during lunch hour for a part, etc. Had friends that worked there... I can't see any good reason why S&W bought them. I've worked for a big company that bought small fry and similarly ran it into the ground with similarly little, if any long term benefit from the buyout. Its' sad but done.

I enjoy the few S&W pieces I have - mainly Ns and Js. I have no problem with the MIM parts as many however despise the lock. OK, onto the point of the post: there are so many good quality used S&W revolvers on the market there is no reason to have to purchase a newer model. Hard to believe that any possible quality/accuracy improvements via CNC, MIM, etc. over the past decade or two can improve upon the practical utility of a model 36. I'd just as soon buy an older one that was assembled with a little TLC.

beezapilot
12-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Although not a 36, I love the model 60-4's, 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. I think the extra inch of barrel length does alot for both ballistics (nope, never chronographed it), and sight picture. It is my go-to revolver for most everything.

Petrol & Powder
12-14-2013, 10:05 AM
I thought I'd take a shot a trimming the factory grips to improve the fit. Looking at it last night I now realize that it's beyond my woodworking talents. Does anyone know of a grip maker who can more or less duplicate the factory splinter grips?
If you're looking for factory style grips I'd say the odds of being able to locate good condition used S&W J-frame stocks are very good. There's a lot out there. If you don't need factory grips, Eagle Grips makes replacement grips in factory style plus the excellent Secret Service grips. http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/SW-J-Frame-Round-Butt-Grips.html
I've used Eagle S.S. grips on S&W J Frames, S&W K Frames and Colt Detective Specials' and have always been pleased with them. They're good middle of the road semi-custom grips that work but don't break the bank.

Jeff82
12-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the lead on aftermarket grips. I'll take a look. It's unfortunate that S&W can't seem to find a pair of stock grips that fit, and that they don't catch these things before the firearm leaves the factory.

FergusonTO35
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Although not a 36, I love the model 60-4's, 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. I think the extra inch of barrel length does alot for both ballistics (nope, never chronographed it), and sight picture. It is my go-to revolver for most everything.

You are right about that. My chronograph shows that you can expect an extra 50 fps for every inch of barrel length in the .38 Special, at least between the 2" and 4" barrel. I am going to experiment with different powders to see if I can cut that in half.

rintinglen
12-16-2013, 11:46 PM
My model 60 is in this group with the pink Hogue grip. My 342 and 640 are also here, but my model 38 was AWOL when this pic was taken.
(And yes, I have two daughters.)

FergusonTO35
12-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Dude, if the pink grips are yours it's ok. We are all friends here!:p

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Nice wheelguns!

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2013, 07:14 AM
That 640 is one of the best (and often under-rated) self defense tools ever made. Compact, strong, reliable, stainless steel and DAO with no external hammer. I'm glad that's the one the escaped the application of the pink grips. :lol:

JeffG
04-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Finally joining the crowd. Been wanting one of these for a while. Model 36, no dash. Haven't figured the date on it yet. What a nice heater. Previous owner added the Uncle Mikes grips which feel oh so nice. Very nice trigger. Reloading dies showed today, time to play.[smilie=p:

Green Frog
04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't think calling a new S&W (even by them) "Classic" makes it one! The guns built from right before WW II up until about the early 1990s or so are the REAL S&W classics. Among my several many S&Ws I have a Baby Chief (slightly smaller frame than the Model 36) that classifies, and a Model 60-4 made right at the end of the era specified that I'm very pleased with. Right now S&W seems too interested in making gimmicky semi-autos and overpriced "special" revolvers to really concentrate on the guns that made them famous, fine DA revolvers. Rant over!

Froggie

PS Not addition of the key word I left out (in red) and as an update, I am now in negotiation for a set of elk stag grips for the Baby Chief... now it will really be a true classic! :mrgreen:

pls1911
04-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I recently bought a 36 from a friend, NIB, unfired, with instructions and cleaning brush.
I jumped on it when a friend called and offered it for $150... he bought two of them from the widow of deceased 1950s airline pilot.
He always carried one in the cockpit!!
I probably paid for both of them....
The sticker price on the box from Leonard's Department Store was $74.95......

Rick B
04-03-2015, 10:16 AM
As a young man growing up in Miami, Florida. An older couple lived three houses away. At the age of thirteen I started mowing their yard once a week. The man was gruf and of few words, his wife was very kind. Over the years, bits and pieces of information were put together. The man was One of Elliot Ness's original untouchables. Years later when he passed away, his widow brought his S&W Model 36 to my parents house and sold it to me. That was in 1973,
Rick B

pls1911
04-05-2015, 11:42 AM
WOW! Rick!!! What a cherry-by-chance you have!
Try to establish a written provenance to your gun, tracing it through the old man and his association with Ness. If it proves out, it could substantially increase the value of your gun to certain collectors.
Thank goodness for kind old women!

Char-Gar
04-05-2015, 12:20 PM
I recently picked up an older set of Mustang grips for my 1954 Flat Latch Model 36. These grips increase the bulk a little, but give amazing control of this little popper.

EMC45
04-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I recently picked up an older set of Mustang grips for my 1954 Flat Latch Model 36. These grips increase the bulk a little, but give amazing control of this little popper.

I like those grips!

John Allen
04-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I use my 36 as my dresser drawer gun. It is from the 70's and in great shape.

Char-Gar
04-06-2015, 11:39 AM
I like those grips!

They are great. I have always considered the Chief special to be a "point and shoot" handgun. With these grips they are a better "point and shoot" handgun and they are now an "aim and fire" handgun as well. These grips enable me to take full advantage of this little handgun's capabilities.

The grips also soak of recoil like a sponge as well.