PDA

View Full Version : Problem with loading gate cover, winchester 1892?

andym79
12-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a Winchester 1892. As I always do before loading a live rounds I load up 3 dummies. I hadn't paid much attention to the lifter or loading gate. I loaded 3 rounds into the magazine, and the final round would straighten, when I push in into alignment if sat normal, in position for the lifter raise it.

Next issue, on opening the lever fully, the lifter only raised up to the half way point and so I had a failure to feed!

I quickly figured the loading gate was causing the problem.

So I removed the screw that holds the loading gate in position and slid it back about 1/16".

Problem partially solved, the rounds now align as they should, and the rounds cycle, as long as I am firm with the lever (it seems if really needs to be a lot more of a definite motion than with my 1894, I guess that cause it a pistol round and the ramp in steeper?).

The issue I am left with now however is that the loading gate no either needs to move back 1/16" or get shortened by that amount at the front!

Elongating the screw hold in the receiver is really unthinkable to me; but I don't see how I can file the loading gate from the front without totally dissembling the rifle (the loading gate will only move forward about 3/8" with the rifle fully intact) and I would rather not do that.

The only explanation I can think of is that the previous owner installed a non original loading gate cover (this is the only part that seems to have any bluing on it) that is either 1/16" longer or has the hole tapped 1/16" further back!

Questions:

1) Any way to remove this parts without full receiver dis-assembly?

2) Would filing the front 1/16" off work or is the ramped tapered tabs' profile critical?

3) do they make more than one reproduction loading gate cover, and could this be for a different sub model of 1892?

I need to fix this or I just bought myself a single shot rifle, after all I cant just leave the screw out!
Thanks

quack1
12-11-2013, 09:39 AM
From the first picture, it looks like the screw holding the loading gate is loose (compared to the other screws). This could easily cause the loading gate to bind the lifter. Try putting it back in and getting it tight as possible. The slot in the screw is kind of shallow, so grind a screwdriver to fit so you don't burr up the slot.
Another thought-Were your dummy cartridges the right OAL and have a properly shaped bullet nose. Lever actions can be fussy about feeding odd bullet shapes and odd lengths.
The gate is blue because, being a big spring, it is blued by a different method, rather than rust blued like the other parts of the gun.
Answers to your questions
1 no
2 maybe, but I would only do this as a LAST RESORT and only if I had a replacement part on hand.
3 According to an old Winchester parts catalog, there is only one loading gate part number for all calibers of model 92
I'm no expert, but have owned a few 92's
Hope this helps.

sparky45
12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
I would take it apart and file the front edge to fit. Disassembly is fairly easy and you could also give the internals a good look. Plenty of Youtube video instruction available.

John Taylor
12-11-2013, 10:25 AM
There are two different loading gates ( spring cover) for the 92, small calibers have a rib on the inside to help center the cartridge. The after market covers need to be fitted and sometimes require a little file work.

nhrifle
12-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Judging by the pictures, your rifle has some time and use on it, so here's another vote for complete tear down and thorough cleaning. Every time one of the old '92s or '94s comes into the shop for any kind of work, they get stripped to a barreled action so everything can be scrubbed and lubed. All kinds of nastiness will build up inside the frame and could be causing your loading gate problem, and your rifle will be much happier after a bath. Loose screws are very common and easy to fix. Before you start modifying parts, make darn sure all the channels and slots are clean of debris and rust.

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 11:53 AM
The load gate is essentially a flat spring. If the spring gets too bent into the frame, it can interfere with the elevator. It looks like in the first picture your loading gate may not be pushing all the way to the outside of the frame. It may be possible to bend the spring back into shape. It don't take much. On new lever actions it is the opposite problem: the loading gate is often very stiff. The solution to that is to remove the loading gate and to gently bend the flat spring in order to relieve some spring tension, making cartridge insertion into the magazine easier.

Junior1942
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Judging by the pictures, your rifle has some time and use on it, so here's another vote for complete tear down and thorough cleaning. Every time one of the old '92s or '94s comes into the shop for any kind of work, they get stripped to a barreled action so everything can be scrubbed and lubed. All kinds of nastiness will build up inside the frame and could be causing your loading gate problem, and your rifle will be much happier after a bath. Loose screws are very common and easy to fix. Before you start modifying parts, make darn sure all the channels and slots are clean of debris and rust.Good advise. A 92 isn't as easy to takedown as is a 94, so I think you should let a professional take care of it.

Marvin S
12-11-2013, 08:36 PM
The most accurate reproduction spring covers come from winchester bob in case you may need a new one.

andym79
12-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Hi guys,

Yes it does have some time on it 1903, as for use?

Thanks for the replies. I stripped the rifle down last night, and after 5 hours and some cleaning, filing of the gate and re assembly the old Winchester seems to function as it should (well at least cycling dummy rounds). I guess the cover must have been an aftermarket part, I had to take 3/32" off of it to fit as it should. I tried to bend the spring but the it didn't make up enough length.

The action is a little bit stiffer than before! Is that normal after loosing lubricant, I have oiled it. Should I grease it too, especially the bolt?