PDA

View Full Version : Help with stuck 7.62x54R primer!

famdoc2892
12-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Sat down to prep some commercial 7.62x54R brass recently, and ran shells through the ol' RCBS FL size/decap die. Most went smoothly, 1 primer stuck to the walls of the pocket and the depriming pin tore the top out of the primer, leaving the walls stuck to the pocket sides! I've never had that happen before, checked with a buddy that has a swager, but he said it will only trim the lip of the pocket, not "bore out" the excess primer material.

Any favorite techniques on getting the primer remains out of the cup without damaging the brass? Reloadable in this caliber is hard to find, and I don't want to waste it!

Larry Gibson
12-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Hold the case in a vise. Use a sharp punch (like ice pick) in hole and pry out. A flat screw drive on the edge of the case rim will give leverage.

Larry Gibson

mold maker
12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I never had that happen before, but last week I deprimed several thousand cases, and 8 did the same thing. It's not a big deal, but glad to know I'm not alone.

jimb16
12-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I usually find a screw with a flat end the right size that I can screw into the primer. When it bottoms out, it starts pulling the prime up and out of the pocket.Keep turning the screw and the primer will walk right out. Save the screw for extracting other primers the same size by using a set of pliers to turn the primer back off the screw.

dbosman
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Don't forget to use a primer pocked uniformer to clean it up a bit.

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I have had that happen with military type primers that were crimped in. Larry gave you a good tip. I have so much Lake City 7.62 brass laying around I simply threw mine away.

gew98
12-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I have usually taken a small fine point punch and when put between the primer and the cae..almost always dimples it to where you can then get a small flat tip screwdriver in there to weasel out the primer wall ring. For hard to obtain calibers this is a must !.