PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Favorite ??

Harter66
12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I have an action coming for a swap that appears to be a Favorite and complete.

Tell me all I need to know about finding it vintage and original intended cartridge,please.
The pictures I've looked at show no markings . My research suggests that they were all rim fires but some were made originally for a rimfire 32,from there it gets murky as to long short etc. Importantly all were BP until 1905 but it was built until (depending on sources)1925 for up to 22 LR.

Question #2
No I don't want to hotrod it but IF it were for 32s could it safely be bbl'd for a CF 32 like the Colts or an ACP or an intentionly short 30 Carb to prevent a factory load from chambering and held to 14Kpsi (the avg max BP rating) . Would it be better to stick w/22s , bb,short ,long, LR. What about the new 17s?

Tatume
12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Harter,

I have several Stevens Favorites. This is not a falling block action, although it does appear to be. It is a sort of rolling block, and is a very weak action. Although mine are 22s, and will shoot, I do not shoot them. On the few occasions when I did shoot them, accuracy was exceptionally poor. I consider all vintage Stevens Favorites to be wall hangers.

BTW, they were cataloged until very recently by Savage Arms, although I don't see them listed now.

Take care, Tom

Harter66
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
How comon is it to find 1 completely unmarked?

Tatume
12-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Markings are mostly on the barrel, just forward of the rear sight. Mine have a serial number under the S-lever.

Reg
12-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Later ones were stamped 1915 on the top receiver flat. They were great little rifles in their day but their day has long gone. Most are really not safe with modern high speed .22's. Yes, there are always those who get away with shooting them but remember, they are operating at the very top of their strength limit and it only takes once. Are you feeling lucky ??
The newer versions from the 1970's and on are only the same in appearance and are really different and much better made.
No, they are not safe for any center fire conversion. Yes there are a few who get away with it but there are more that don't.
Basically they are really neat looking wall hangers from a long time ago.

pietro
12-10-2013, 07:01 PM

It might be good to keep in mind the times/era the original/older Favorites were used.

Most of the bores are junk, due to heavy shooting of the blackpowder cartridges of those times.

The swinging block action (with the breechblock pivot point agead of the rear of the bbl/chamber) isn't noted for strength, either.

If the genni's a .32RF, it's usually the .32RF Short - and AFAIK, the only safe CF conversion is to change the breechblock from RF to CF & just shoot the commercially-available (Wincheste) .32 Short Colt.

That's all/what I did, to shoot my Remington #4 rolling block .32

Harter66
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Well I'll see what I have pretty soon. Its just an action. Maybe I'll get lucky and its a late 1 that ''fell of the line into a lunch box''.

I've had a couple of rather heated discussions recently regarding action strength and ''Just because it was up to it 30k rounds and 80yr ago'' and ''why only load to 30k if they're proofed to 75k''. Yep, I like my face and fingers the way they are , in 1 piece.

I will look it over very carefully before proceeding ,I've no intent of something like a 327 Fed in it . A 22WRF or Mag would be nice maybe an 17 HMR ,but if shorts and/or bb caps is all its up to so be it. It would always make a nice conversational book end too.

Chev. William
12-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I have two 1894 series actions and several 1894 barrels I have bought over Ebay looking for that "keeper" barrel to fit the actions.

My barrels are in .22 Long Rifle, .25 Stevens (long) RF, and .32 Long RF. obviously they would all chamber and probably fire any of the shorter cartridges of the same caliber.

The .32 Long RF shares case dimensions with the .32 Long Colt cartridge but the modern loadings use a sub caliber inside lube bullet that reduces accuracy.
Many people have replaced the pins and screws of the Original Stevens Actions with modern high strength alloy steels that are hardened and tempered to greater strengths than Stevens had available. These 'strengthened' actions have been used with .32 Long Colt cases cut to take heeled bullets and loaded to equivalent of the original BP loadings, these are reported as being sufficiently accurate to Get "Pot Meat" and hit targets repeatedly at up to 100 yards. There is one man who drills out .32 Long Colt cases to take .27 Caliber Powder Tool loads as 'primers' for either BP or smokeless light loads behind Balls or bullets. He has successfully fired his antique Revolvers and multiple barrel pistols with them.

The .25 Stevens is the same bore, groove, and case diameters as the .25ACP cartridge. This modern cartridge is loaded with fast burning powders to get its performance from a 2 to 2-1/2 inch long pistol barrel and would yield around 1000 to 1100fps out of the typical 21-3/4 to 22 inch long Stevens Favorite barrel. Since it is a Semi-Rimed design there is a rim so it would chamber in the .25 Stevens barrel.
The Strengthened Acton might handle the pressures of the .17HMR or .17WSM cartridge but there will be a lowered 'factor of Safety' involved.

The .22 Long Rifle barrels will chamber modern loads but unless the action is strengthened, you should limit your choices to standard velocity or Subsonic loads for safety reasons.

I am having stronger, High strength, screws and pins fitted to my 1894 actions so I can use them in firing CF versions of the .25 Stevens and .32 Long Colt. The CF .25 Stevens cases are formed from .22 Hornet cases that are reformed through a .25ACP carbide die all the way to the top of the rim, then trimmed to the length of a Stevens case and the rim area turned to size.
The ones I have done to date hold about 9 grains of loose FFFg BP behind a commercial bullet, either Jacketed or Cast Lead.

If you have an 1894 Action, it should be marked on the bottom tang with a letter and some numbers, all other manufacturers marking were on the barrel.
If you have a 1915 action, it should be marked with "Favorite" on the top of the action socket for the Barrel, "Model 1915" on the Top Tang, and a letter and numbers on the Bottom Tang. The remainder of the markings were on the barrel.

Best regards,
Chev. William

Tatume
12-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Chev. gives a very good description, and I've learned some things about my own rifle. The Stevens Favorite to which I refer is a Model 1915. It was the first gun I ever touched, and probably the first gun I ever saw. It hung over one of three doors in my maternal Grandmother's bedroom. My mother was born in that room. The house was built of logs prior to the American Revolution, in the Virginia Appalachian Mountains. Another door lead upstairs, but the reason I mention the three doors is the third. It opened to the outdoors, and had a pile of flat rocks for steps (as did all the outside doors). A small hole was carved into the door, and a feather was inserted from the outside whenever anyone got sick. Several children died of diphtheria over the years, and it was believed that something that caused the disease would be attracted to the feather and channeled out of the house.

The gun didn't fire when I was a child. It was eventually passed on to me, and it shoots now. Although I had the firing pin repaired, I don't shoot the gun except to test fire it years ago.

I'll have a few days off soon, and will take some photos of the gun alongside my CPA Stevens 44-1/2. The resemblance is remarkable (although for the most part, superficial).

Take care, Tom

uscra112
12-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm a fan of the larger Model 44 action, which just a scaled-up Favorite. Still a weak action.

Changing the pins does not, IMHO, do much for the action strength, although it will tighten up the breeching. Using stronger link pins just transfers the stress to the (rather thin) link, which isn't made of the best steel. Changing the breechblock pivot pin doesn't help the weakness of the block itself, which doesn't resolve the head thrust from discharge pressure to the frame very well. Lastly the barrel retention, (only a grub-screw) is highly suspect, to put it mildly.

The Favorite I would keep to .22 rimfire, or black-powder pressures if a conversion from .25 or .32 rimfire must be done. A tight one can handle modern .22 ammunition. Been there, done that. - Frank de Haas agreed. - A loose one I would be mighty leery of, especially if the chamber is enlarged from rust and wear. Been there, too. Didn't actually burst a case, but the bulges didn't fill me with confidence. If it doesn't lock up right, rebuild it.

de Haas wrote that the high pressure rimfires, (.22 Magnum, the various .17s) are outright dangerous.

It's very easy to take a cast-off modern .22 barrel and adapt it to the Favorite. No threads to cut.

I've bushed Model 44 breeckblocks from rimfire to centerfire, and vice versa. I wouldn't do a Favorite - there's just not enough meat there. Weld it up and re-machine, if you must.

My $0.02 worth.

Kermit1945
12-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Well, I reckon if you have a low opinion of Favorites, leave them to those of us who like them and know how to shoot them safely. My favorite Favorite is an 1894 .32 rf. It came to me in incredible original shape. I have a spare breechblock to convert to CF to shoot BP loads with heeled boolits. When it goes to a new owner, it goes with the original rf breechblock, cuz there are stooooopid hotrodders out there who think they need to convert them to gee whiz modern cartridges. Don't mess with them if you aren't willing to live within the obvious limitations. Some few of us can.

uscra112
12-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Well, if you're thinking of me, Kermit, I'll tell you straight out that I do leave them to others. The Model 12 and Model 101 are much stronger and more interesting boys' rifles, along with the Hopkins & Allen 922. I've got one Favorite, and half a dozen Model 44s. The Favorite may get linered next year, and then I'll offer it for sale. You want first dibs?

Tatume
12-13-2013, 08:13 AM
And if you're thinking of me, my opinion of Favorites is hardly "low." I'm sitting here right now with one of my most prized rifles, the first gun I ever saw or touched.

Chev. William
12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Just Curious: does anyone reading this thread know if anyone has adapted a 1915 Breech Block to a 1894 Receiver, possibly changing the Breech Block Pivot Bolt at the same time? I know the link widths and the Extractor widths change also, but I am curious if anyone has used the enlarged ended 1915 in a 1894?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Tatume
12-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Appears to be a complete action, $78, 1 day 3 hours left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stevens-Favorite-1894-/151184214309?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item2333480925

Tatume
12-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have any photos of a Model 1915 with period tang sight? The tang is drilled and tapped, but I've never seen one so equipped.

Tatume
12-14-2013, 09:23 AM
After doing some searching I found two photos of Model 1915 rifles fitted with tang aperture sights. One was protected and I could not copy it. The other is a nicely engraved rifle:

http://www.reigelgunengraving.com/Stevens_favorite_model_1915.html

Chev. William
12-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Oh Wow! That 1915 has been well engraved, possibly as a Project? The Tang sight is what I believe is a Marbles with the locking slide height adjustment.

I hope Tatum won the Ebay auction, it is closed now. Looking at the photos for the original auction posting, I believe it is an early 1894 as it has the 'side' pattern ejector. it is missing the main spring, but I believe either "Wisner's" or "Jack First" could supply a replacement. It does look like the Breech Bolt Pivot Screw may also need replacing as the photos look like the head has been ruined trying to remove it. A good Project find for the new owner.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

trevj
12-15-2013, 12:13 PM
I have a couple Favorite that I picked up over the years, originally intending to build them up and use them, as the finished product is a nice light and handy gun.

The more I looked at them and used the ones that were in better shape, the less fond I became of the idea of using one of the older ones for modern ammo.

The entirety of the recoil/chamber pressure load gets carried on the two screws that hold the lever and breech block in the action, and these screws do have a substantial section of their length that is unsupported, allowing some flex. There is no locking face to take the load, like a falling block action has.

That they were a low priced product to begin with, also adds up to them generally having been 'well loved', usually by a bunch of youngsters along the way, over the years, so most I have seen were a bit loose.

If you get one in really good shape, or has been gone through with a fine-toothed comb to sort out all the linkages and screws for clearances to tighten everything back up, stick to 'standard' velocity ammo, an you should be good to go, IMO.

YMMV, but I wouldn't bother hot-rodding one of the Favorite actions into a .17. Maybe a Model 44, which is of the same design, but physically larger with larger screws as a consequence. Steven chambered the 44 in some larger center fire rounds and discontinued that pretty quickly.

My experiences rooting through them is that the parts vary a lot, there were several different styles of ejectors and breech blocks made, with different widths of links and diameters of linkage pins. I suspect, but have not tried, that the 1915 breech block could be fitted, but that the rest of the linkage between it and the lever would have to be looked to, and the whole works fitted and doctored up as an assembly.

Neat little guns, and if you keep in mind that they are not super strong, they are a lot of fun to shoot with!

Cheers
Trev

Harter66
12-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Some pictures that might help.
I think the lever is 1 piece w/the breechblock.
It is just marked 2 62 on the bottom tang.

Harter66
12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Couple more pictures

Chev. William
12-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Harter66,
It looks like you have a 1894 series Stevens Action there. I am basing this on the contour of the Breech Block visible when it is closed and the side view of the receiver. The Take Down Screw looks like one for a 1894 also but I cannot tell if the tip is a truncated cone like it should be.

How does the action feel? Does it close up and stay closed without holding the lever in the up position? What type of Extractor is it fitted with, I could not tell from the photos so far.

The Stamped characters do not look original, possibly added by someone who rebuilt the action in the past for identification purposes?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

uscra112
12-16-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't recognize that as a Favorite at all. The pivot screw for the breechblock is much farther forward on a Favorite frame.

Best match I can find in de Haas book is a Hopkins and Allen 822. THAT I would be mighty careful with. Subsonic loads only.

Yes, the breechblock and lever are one piece in that design. It's a variant of rolling block.

Chev. William
12-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I defer to 'uscra112' on the identification, he has wider knowledge than I do.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Harter66
12-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Thank you. That makes sense .

torpedoman
12-19-2013, 11:59 PM
many people like them and shoot them check ASSRA .com i have a stevens marksman that i made a figure 8 type scope mount so no drilling was necessary and i used it as my squirrel gun for many years (mount lost in a move and never made another) very accurate little rifle.

uscra112
12-20-2013, 02:40 AM
give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

Methinks you've mixed a little John Paul Jones into your Masefield.

Chev. William
12-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Today, Christmas Day, I won and paid for an Ebay Auction for a Shilen Match Grade Stainless Steel Rifle Barrel blank. It is about 26 inches long by 1.25 inch diameter and is stated as being .308 Caliber. The end stampings read "Shilen .308 S xx 6 8".
I am thinking this would be a good candidate for a Bench Rest .32 Long Colt barrel for my Stevens 1915 Action.
Merry Christmas everyone,
Best Regards,
Chev. William

uscra112
12-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Well, Bill, that'll be worth a few pictures. That action on the back of that barrel will look like a fly clinging to the hinder of a mule! :kidding:

Chev. William
12-25-2013, 11:50 PM
That mental picture got me chuckling!
Thanks for the idea, but it would be even stranger on a Stevens Camp Carbine (the ones with a wire stock added to a Long barrel pistol).
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
12-31-2013, 02:24 AM
Well, Bill, that'll be worth a few pictures. That action on the back of that barrel will look like a fly clinging to the hinder of a mule! :kidding:

The 'used' Shelin . 308 Match Grade Barrel blank arrived in the mails today. BOY is it Heavy! it measures 28-1/8 overall length with a diameter of 1-1/4 inches.
Per Shelin; it has 6 Groove rifling on a 1 in 8 Twist, the nominal Bore is .300", and the Grooves are .308 nominal. It does have the stampings that indicate it is a Match Grade (xx) and is Stainless Steel (S).
The bore looks mirror bright with wide grooves/narrow lands similar to the old Stevens barrels i have.
The outside is 'heat colored' not polished.
One end has the stampings on it and the other looks like it was lightly turned, then partially grooved with a parting tool, then sawn the rest of the way through. This end will be the finished muzzle end.
I will be having a piece, with the stampings intact, cut and chambered with the same Reamers used for the Barrel so I will have a 'test chamber' to try my cases and cartridges in while hand loading them. I good idea that was suggested by another shooter of .32 Long Colt.
I am toying with putting a Stevens-like Knurled and Threaded Ring on the barrel to allow adjustment of head space, with the Thread Pitch being 40 per inch, and extending over at least 5/32", possibly more, to allow a range of very fine adjustments.
I expect I will end up with a barrel of about 26 inches finished length.
Jokingly, This barrel will Require a Bench Rest, as it is Heavier than the Stevens action and Butt stock. (Barrel Blank about 8lbs, Action and Stock about 1-1/4lb)
I think perhaps a forend made from a Walnut 4x4 and designed to 'Float' the muzzle 18 inches is indicated here.
Today I made some 'bushings' to fit the Stevens 1915 (and the 1894) Barrel Socket. Two are bored to 3/16" diameter and the third is bored to 15/64" diameter.
I intend the 15/64" one to be made into a 'Test Chamber' for my .250ALRM and shorter cartridge designs, and also for checking .25 Stevens CF loads.
The two bored to 3/16 will be used to 'center punch' my Stevens Breech Blocks to mark the center of bore on their faces. it will also allow me to know where to drill a CF pin hole.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

rbertalotto
12-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the great information. I was asking similar questions over on ASSRA but not getting the same response. I was going to purchase a Favorite this morning from my local gun shop. It has two barrels, one in 22RF and the other in 32RF. My plan was to reline the shot out 32 to 17MkII. But now I'm very concerned about the strength of the receiver even with the 17MkII.

Chev William, please keep this thread going with your build as I really enjoy reading your posts on the various forums.

Think I'll look for a 44 or another 44 1/2 ( I already have a 44.5 with two barrels, 219 Zipper and 38-55) to convert to a 17MkII or even a 17HMR.

Chev. William
12-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Search the Forums for Stevens 44, there is at least one company making new Stevens 44-1/2 rifles with upgraded alloys and proper heat treating to take Modern cartridges and pressures.

I read somewhere that the company owner also has a large group of original Stevens 44 and 44-1/2 components so he may be a source for a used original action.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Tatume
12-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Search the Forums for Stevens 44, there is at least one company making new Stevens 44-1/2 rifles with upgraded alloys and proper heat treating to take Modern cartridges and pressures.

I read somewhere that the company owner also has a large group of original Stevens 44 and 44-1/2 components so he may be a source for a used original action.

That would be CPA. I have one and I'm having another barrel fitted to it this spring. Wonderful, beautiful rifles.

http://singleshotrifles.com/

Take care, Tom

uscra112
12-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Roy, if there's any "boys' rifle" from any maker that is totally suitable for the 17MkII cartridge it's the Stevens Model 12 Marksman. A break open design with an under-lever, patterned after the Maynard. The centerfire version (Model 101) was chambered .44 Shot, and many were reamed out to take the .410 shell. Now, the .410 is too much by quite a bit, but the fact that they didn't blow up immediately tells you something. Frank deHaas felt that the Model 12 was capable of handing the .22 Magnum, so it's a pretty good bet that it'll handle the .17MkII. A decent Model 12 can still be picked up for $400 or so, usually with a thoroughly trashed bore, since these were new in the days of corrosive .22 ammo. A new barrel is fairly easy, since it's a slip-fit, like the Favorite. They came in .22, .25, and .32 rimfire. The .25 will work for .22 without relocating the firing pin.

Here's the sectional from deHaas' book. (Full disclosure - I've scooped up several of the little beasties for myself. The centerfires will be rebarreled for .32 S&W Long, the rimfires probably just plain old .22)

uscra112
12-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Another excellent choice for the .17MkII would be a Hopkins and Allen Model 922. A true falling block design.

Chev. William
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Puttering today after watching the Tournament of Roses Parade on TV.
Worked on the inletting of my 1915 action in a used Butt Stock and it now fits much better.
I needed to grind the point off one of the screws holding the action in the Stock, the top one was hitting the bottom tang/parts and blocking the two tangs from going all the way down. Then scraped the existing inlets to get the tangs almost flush.
I also puttered with the three 'bushings I had made. smoothing the ends and then 'engraving the Outer Diameters (OD) and the bore diameter (ID) on one end and my name on the other.
One is .665" OD and tightly slides in to the 1915 Barrel Socket, the other is .660" OD and is a looser, but locating, fit in the same socket.
Now I am going to go over to my Friends shop and use his set of Transfer punches to Center Mark my spare Breech Blocks with the projected barrel center line.
Note that my 1915 action has been reworked by a previous owner to take a roughly .600" wide Breech Block and uses .249+" BB Screw and .213" Lever Screw, so my spare 1915 BB have been reamed out to .250" pivot screw holes to match. The spares are narrower, at .540" or less in width and leave a noticeable gap on the sides and rear.
The Receiver opening width measures .595" by my Dial Caliper.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
05-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Still waiting for the original two actions that are being upgraded to be completed. On of them is nearly ready to be test fired for function with Live Ammo. My gunsmith will use some CF .25 Stevens Long cases I have loaded with 9.0 grains of Black Powder behind a 50 grain round nose bullet, a total of ten cartridges.

Since the last post, I now have two additional 1915 Receivers and two additional 1894 receivers and two model 44 Receivers along with one model 12 Marksman receiver and some parts.

One 1915 actin is the 'modified' one with a .600" wide Breech Block and Lever with the enlarged pivots.

The model 44 came to me stripped and i have slowly gathering parts to assemble an Actin and stock it. I now have most of the internal parts, a Beautiful used Stock, and a 'pair' of barrels tha tare suitable for the Model 44 even if not original, one is a Winchester model 70 takeoff that was chambered in 300 Win Mag but now is waiting for reamers to make it a .32 Long RF or .32 Extra Long RF, or the CF equivalents. The other barrel is a 'Bastardized' 25-20 that was cut off by the former owner and a new Tenon begun on it. I am planning to use .2%0ALRM Reamers and then sue a .257" Driving band diameter Heeled bullet to make this a Unique ".257ALRM" Rifle application.

Noe I need to back off on purchases until I get next month's Retirement payments.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
A long delay in the two actions with my gunsmith as he is getting a sequence of surgeries to replace both Hips and Knees and of course the recovery/healing time between surgeries. I do not mind the Delays as he will be much better for the Surgeries if they all go well as planned. It seems we all get 'older' even when we don't like it, just have to 'live with the Territory' and continue to enjoy each day as it comes. At least our Life expectancies are longer than those of our Ancestors so we have longer to experience Life in all its versions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Last week I spoke to my Gunsmith after he returned to work form his first joint surgery. He gave me hope that I will be seeing at least one of my 1894 ready for test firing before the end of the year, possibly within two months as it is very nearly complete "in the White". We will test fire it before getting it finished.

This Saturday afternoon I received a new, longer, "Ammomaster 2" handle for my "RC" press and fitted it after Supper; then I proceeded to down size 25 each .327 Federal Magnum cases to .32 Extra Long/.32 Long Colt diameters with less applied force and fatigue than I had before forming only 10 cases in a session.

I am Very Happy with this longer handle and new Grip form on my "RC" press.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
10-04-2014, 11:32 PM
it has been a Long time since my last update on my projects:

Project "Modified Stevens 1915 Favorite" action: This afternoon after it cooled off slightly from the day's peak temperature, I went to my Friend's Shop and used his lathe to cut a "Stevens Favorite" Tenon onto a used 'Marlin' 22 S-L-LR barrel I purchased off of Ebay. This tenon is about .663" diameter and is long enough to allow for proper head spacing and extractor cut to be done by my gunsmith. It is now 'Short Chambered' by the amount I trimmed the breech end to square it up. I will have him use my ".22LR Match Grade Freeland Chamber finish reamer to bring the chamber to size and length. This "Modified 1915 Stevens Favorite" action is getting close to test firing now. My gunsmith will also need to harden and temper the Firing pin for me otherwise it will have short operating life (it is dead soft at the moment). This project will not be going to my gunsmith until the other ones he has are done and I get some more 'discretionary Spending funds' perhaps next month or possibly next year.

Project "Upgraded Stevens 1894 Favorite actions (two)": these are still with my gunsmith after I had one in my hands for test firing, the screws bent with light .25 Stevens replacement loads and when I took it back to the gunsmith he said they had not been hardened and tempered after fabrication so he is making new ones form Grade 8 Bolts and will heat treat them before handing the action back for more testing.

Project "Stevens Model 44 action with New Old Stock Breech Block": This breech block is a 'tight fit' and needs to be relieved to clear the two shoulders at the rear of the Receiver Breech Block Slot I have strong new pivot pins for this action and the receiver-breech block, plus the Receiver-Lever holes have been reamed to a tight fit on their respective pins. The fitting of the Breech block is on hold pending completion fo the tow 1894 actions by my gunsmith.

Project "Stevens Marksman partial Kit": This action was an inexpensive purchase as it was incomplete, and over time I have been able to locate or make the missing parts so far. I have a damaged but 'Bubba Repaired' Stock that fits the action tightly; a used barrel off another model rifle that is being fitted to this action by my gunsmith as it is a easy and quick job according to him. My gunsmith is also going to rework a Hardened pin I found to make the rod that moves the hammer to half cock from fired position when the lever is first moved out of battery as he has an example in the shop at the moment to use as a model.

Project " M1 Carbine conversion to 45 Win. Mag.": this project is going on two and a half years in the works now as it is a "Back burner - when there is free shop time" low budget one. It is based upon a "New Old Stock- never issued" USGI Winchester Receiver I picked up back when I had more funds available, along with other needed spares, and a barrel blank from Green Mountain. as it presently sits, the barrel Blank is threaded into the receiver but not chambered nor contoured to allow fitting of the action parts. I have a Bolt with the Breech face opened out to accept the cartridge rim but need to get the extractor modified to fit the larger diameter rim. I have some reworked magazines that will hold 10 cartridges in single stack configuration on hand for this conversion just waiting to be used. Since the rated peak pressures for the M1 Carbine round and the 45 Win. Mag. are the same, a slight down loading to compensate for the larger base area will be used for normal shooting and Proof Testing will be done with Factory loaded ammo.

Project ".25ACP Lever action Rifle": this is based upon a Marlin model 56 'levermatic' Steel receiver and some bolt parts from a Model 62 center fire setup. I have a '25ACP/6.35mm Browning' Barrel blank for this that is 23.4" long which will make a nice 'rifle' for this little 'Pistol' cartridge. I have a few 'surplus' Phoenix 25ACP ten round magazines that I intend to rework for improved function. As received they appear to b e.32ACP magazines with plastic filler added to the bullet end inside. This does NOT keep the .25ACP cartridges in a straight single column so they jam against the sides when more than 5 are inserted in the magazine. my planned modification is to remove the nose plastic filler and add two thin plastic shims to the inside sides to hold the cartridges in a vertical column; this will require a new follower to be made to fit the new inside width.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
11-16-2014, 10:12 PM
An update on my projects:

"modified Stevens 1915 Action": This action was modified by a previous owner to take a .600" wide Breech Block, which is about .050" to .070" wider than normal. I have it back in my possession after my gunsmith hardened and tempered the firing pin and fitted four 1894 pattern extractors to fit four cartridges; .22LR, .25ACP, .25 Stevens, and .32 Long/.32 Long Colt. These also have a larger than normal pivot clearance hole so will not fit a normal 1915 Action. I now need to plan a Trip to the Range to test fire this rifle.

"Used, stripped 1915 Receiver": I purchased this receiver through an auction for $60.00 along with a 1894 type stripped Receiver for another $60.00 then added the California DROS/Transfer and Dealer handling fees to that. This 1915 actin is now fitted out with enough parts to make it a functional Action, but will go to my gunsmith for inspection and 'Tuning'. This Action will need thinking as to how to 'finish' it as there are there are numerous lengthwise 'scrapes' on both sides and soem residual "Color Case" visible on the Top and Upper Tang and along the rear side edges of the Receiver.

"Used, Stripped 1894 type Receiver": This receiver has a clearance cut in the 'shelf' between the Barrel socket and the Breech Block Pivot area to fit a Side Extractor with about a "7:00 O'clock tip position at the Breech face. I have collected almost all parts for it now, just needing to find a Main Spring to complete the Assembly of the Action.

"Upgraded Stevens 1894 Actions (two)": I had one of these in hand for a short period to test fire and returned it with some problems to be corrected, the other one will be 'worked' after the first one is shooting correctly.

"Used, Stripped and 'Bubba Repaired' 1894 Type Receiver": This Receiver was purchased to get the Hammer, Trigger, and two Pivot screws that were in it but it is being 'saved' as it is somewhat unique to me. This receiver has a 'spring and attachment screw in the bottom of the Breech Block Pivot area apparently intended to bear on the bottom of the Breech block Pivot 'ears' to help hold it tight. The Upper Tang has been broken of and Brass Brazed back on, the Lower tang has been broken off and a substitute made and Welded on with aa Nut Welded to the end to take a machine Screw down though the Upper Tang mount hole, both Tangs are about the same length now. There is one Sight mounting hole in the Upper tang and NO holes in the Bottom Tang, so attaching action springs might be difficult. The Welding on the Bottom Tang seems to be of the ARC variety and not very smoothly applied. Some attempt at grinding it smooth had been done but there is a LOT left to go before it would look presentable at all. The Brass Braze on the Upper Tang gives me some worry for both strength of attachment and future finishing. The 'Standard' Stevens Tang sight mountin ghole front position falls directly in the Brazed area.

"Stevens Model 44 action with New Old Stock Breech Block": No progress on this one as it is waiting for my other projects at the gunsmith to be completed. I have The parts set aside for this Receiver so it is a 'complete Action, just not assembled nor 'tuned' yet.

"Stevens Model 44 Type Receiver with 'Side Extractor provision": This private purchase receiver is now complete with all needed parts to make it a Functional Action, using a 1894 Favorite type main spring and trigger spring. I bought one Extractor from Wisner's to try, then ordered two more when I found the one was correct, just needing fitting and finishing for cartridge/caliber. I have temporarily mounted an older Marble's Tang peep sight to this Action to be checked and 'trued' when my gunsmith checks out the assembly and fits a barrel to it. I have collected sufficient parts to assemble it. I have on order, from "Wisner's", two more of his reproduction extractors to use in setting up for several cartridges/calibers.

These two 'model 44' receivers share the same style of Barrel attachment but do not seem to share the identical dimensions as a barrel for one will not completely go into the other for securing. I think this is reasonable as the two are slightly different production eras, one being a 'Side Extractor' model and the other being a 'Center Extractor' model.

"Stevens Marksman partial Kit": This project has been fitted with a 're-purposed' used barrel in .22RF (marked for all three sizes) of about 19" length. I have test fired it and returned it to my gunsmith to correct some minor problems with Hammer/firing pin light strikes and a rear sight position problem.

" M1 Carbine conversion to 45 Win. Mag.": No reported progress on this project by my gunsmith.

I did purchase a new manufacture M1 Carbine Receiver built to full USGI Specifications by "Fulton Armory" for another project, this one will be a .30 Carbine Caliber with a Long Rifle Barrel and initially set up as a 'straight pull' manual bolt action. to see how it shoots that way. I also bought a Bolt assembly and a Slide from "Fulton Armory" to use in this project.

".25ACP Lever action Rifle": Again, no real progress on this project; but I continue to collect items useful for it. I am waiting for my gunsmith to complete some of the projects of mine he already has in works.

I may be needing to buy another gun safe to hold the additions to my 'collection' that are nearing completion. I am 'dithering' between another 8 gun one or a 14 gun one.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Bold Additins made 2014NOV20 Chev. William

Chev. William
01-14-2015, 05:33 PM
About time to go through and update my 'progress report':

"modified Stevens 1915 Action": This action was modified by a previous owner to take a .600" wide Breech Block, which is about .050" to .070" wider than normal. I have it back in my possession after my gunsmith hardened and tempered the firing pin and fitted four 1894 pattern extractors to fit four cartridges; .22LR, .25ACP, .25 Stevens, and .32 Long/.32 Long Colt. These also have a larger than normal pivot clearance hole so will not fit a normal 1915 Action. I now need to plan a Trip to the Range to test fire this rifle. Still have not been to the Range Yet, Season of Rain, cold, Holidays, and TAXES take more out of me than I like(20150114).

"Used, stripped 1915 Receiver": I purchased this receiver through an auction for $60.00 along with a 1894 type stripped Receiver for another $60.00 then added the California DROS/Transfer and Dealer handling fees to that. This 1915 actin is now fitted out with enough parts to make it a functional Action, but will go to my gunsmith for inspection and 'Tuning'. This Action will need thinking as to how to 'finish' it as there are there are numerous lengthwise 'scrapes' on both sides and some residual "Color Case" visible on the Top and Upper Tang and along the rear side edges of the Receiver. no work on this action yet(20150104).

"Used, Stripped 1894 type Receiver": This receiver has a clearance cut in the 'shelf' between the Barrel socket and the Breech Block Pivot area to fit a Side Extractor with about a "7:00 O'clock tip position at the Breech face. I have collected almost all parts for it now, just needing to find a Main Spring to complete the Assembly of the Action. Still awaiting a Main Spring(20150114).

"Upgraded Stevens 1894 Actions (two)": I had one of these in hand for a short period to test fire and returned it with some problems to be corrected, the other one will be 'worked' after the first one is shooting correctly. Both of these are with my Gunsmith and are on the 'Back burner again as he is planning to go on a "location Film shoot later this month(20150114).

"Used, Stripped and 'Bubba Repaired' 1894 Type Receiver": This Receiver was purchased to get the Hammer, Trigger, and two Pivot screws that were in it but it is being 'saved' as it is somewhat unique to me. This receiver has a 'spring and attachment screw in the bottom of the Breech Block Pivot area apparently intended to bear on the bottom of the Breech block Pivot 'ears' to help hold it tight. The Upper Tang has been broken off and Brass Brazed back on, the Lower tang has been broken off and a substitute made and Welded on with a Nut Welded to the end to take a machine Screw down though the Upper Tang mount hole, both Tangs are about the same length now. There is one Sight mounting hole in the Upper tang and NO holes in the Bottom Tang, so attaching action springs might be difficult. The Welding on the Bottom Tang seems to be of the ARC variety and not very smoothly applied. Some attempt at grinding it smooth had been done but there is a LOT left to go before it would look presentable at all. The Brass Braze on the Upper Tang gives me some worry for both strength of attachment and future finishing. The 'Standard' Stevens Tang sight mounting hole front position falls directly in the Brazed area. Thinking of selling this one to an interested party along with some excess parts for him to use as a "learning project" but nothing firm yet(201501140.

"Stevens Model 44 action with New Old Stock Breech Block": Some progress has been made on this one over the holidays, I got the BB, Link, and Lever assembled and 'fitted' the BB to the Action so it now closes tightly adn Bears on both Rear shoulders of Receiver. I also have a Hammer and a Trigger in this receiver but still no correct springs(20150114).

"Stevens Model 44 Type Receiver with 'Side Extractor provision": This private purchase receiver is now complete with all needed parts to make it a Functional Action, using a 1894 Favorite type main spring and trigger spring. Just needing fitting and finishing of the extractors for cartridge/caliber (.22, .25ACP, .25 Stevens, and .32s). I have now mounted a 'Italian" Vernier Tang Peep to this Receiver along with a used butt stock and butt plate. Now it sits waiting for more money and gunsmith time(20150114)

These two 'model 44' receivers share the same style of Barrel attachment but do not seem to share the identical dimensions as a barrel for one will not completely go into the other for securing. I think this is reasonable as the two are slightly different production eras, one being a 'Side Extractor' model and the other being a 'Center Extractor' model. After close measuring i find there are TWO Different Diameters of the Breech end of the Sockets so now I know why. I will need to decide if I want to rework them to use interchangeable barrels among all receivers(20150114).

"Stevens Marksman partial Kit": This project has been fitted with a 're-purposed' used barrel in .22RF (marked for all three sizes) of about 19" length. I have test fired it and returned it to my gunsmith to correct some minor problems with Hammer/firing pin light strikes and a rear sight position problem. No progress on this one by my gunsmith as previously reported above(21050114).

" M1 Carbine conversion to 45 Win. Mag.": No reported progress on this project by my gunsmith other than threading the Blank Barrel to fit the receiver920150114).

I did purchase a new manufacture M1 Carbine Receiver built to full USGI Specifications by "Fulton Armory" for another project, this one will be a .30 Carbine Caliber with a Long Rifle Barrel and initially set up as a 'straight pull' manual bolt action. to see how it shoots that way. I also bought a Bolt assembly and a Slide from "Fulton Armory" to use in this project.
It is now sitting with my gunsmith awaiting time to profile the two Barrel Blanks (20150114).

".25ACP Lever action Rifle": Again, no real progress on this project; but I continue to collect items useful for it. I am waiting for my gunsmith to complete some of the projects of mine he already has in works. I did buy a Lothar Walther Barrel Blank fo rthis project adnit arrived before Christmas(20150114).

I may be needing to buy another gun safe to hold the additions to my 'collection' that are nearing completion. I am 'dithering' between another 8 gun one or a 14 gun one. And still no Decision nor funds yet(20150114).

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
02-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Today, I received two more of my Stevens Rifles back form my gunsmith: one is a Stevens Model 12 Marksman in 22RF and the Second is a Stevens 1894 type Favorite also in .22RF. I had previously received a Stevens 1915 type favorite set up for .25 Stevens. All three need to be taken to a Commercial Range and Fired so I know they are 'good to go' before any time o rmoney is expended on refinishing them.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Ballistics in Scotland
02-04-2015, 04:56 AM
I'm a fan of the larger Model 44 action, which just a scaled-up Favorite. Still a weak action.

Changing the pins does not, IMHO, do much for the action strength, although it will tighten up the breeching. Using stronger link pins just transfers the stress to the (rather thin) link, which isn't made of the best steel. Changing the breechblock pivot pin doesn't help the weakness of the block itself, which doesn't resolve the head thrust from discharge pressure to the frame very well. Lastly the barrel retention, (only a grub-screw) is highly suspect, to put it mildly.

The Favorite I would keep to .22 rimfire, or black-powder pressures if a conversion from .25 or .32 rimfire must be done. A tight one can handle modern .22 ammunition. Been there, done that. - Frank de Haas agreed. - A loose one I would be mighty leery of, especially if the chamber is enlarged from rust and wear. Been there, too. Didn't actually burst a case, but the bulges didn't fill me with confidence. If it doesn't lock up right, rebuild it.

de Haas wrote that the high pressure rimfires, (.22 Magnum, the various .17s) are outright dangerous.

It's very easy to take a cast-off modern .22 barrel and adapt it to the Favorite. No threads to cut.

I've bushed Model 44 breeckblocks from rimfire to centerfire, and vice versa. I wouldn't do a Favorite - there's just not enough meat there. Weld it up and re-machine, if you must.

My $0.02 worth.

I'd agree with all of the above. The 44 Ideal is a bit stronger and resists wear better, for a number of reasons. It is larger, and I think it is steel, while the Favorite, before the modern reissue, or possibly the 1915, was malleable cast iron. Also in the Armoury Model military trainer, which is the only one I have examined, this action has its pivots in the form of large-diameter hardened plugs, drawn into place by large-headed screws from the other side of the action. (This could always be scaled down for the Favorite.) That 44 barrel was threaded in, and centre-extractor, which worked with a most satisfying spring ejection. It enjoyed a certain popularity in the UK in the very early days of competitive .22 shooting, before people like Greener and Francotte looked at converted military Martinis and thought "Suppose we made a smaller one?"

I believe the rimfire .32 chambers simply are the .32 Long and .32 Short Colt, although you should measure them before laying out money on dies etc. What I don't know is whether all Favorites had the early heel-bullet .32 Long Rimfire bore dimsions with about .314 grooves, or went over to the inside-lubed .32 Long Rifle with the groove diameter which, in my Marlin 92, is .307.

Neither would be right for the "improved" version of the .32 Long Colt, which had a .299 bullet with a hollow base, to make it work properly in firearms made for the old version. I doubt if the average pocket pistol user (let alone pocket pistol carrier) noticed the deficiencies of accuracy this probably produced. But I think a rifleman would.

If the use of the Favorite as a centrefire is desired, it should be strictly limited to those centrefires, at those pressures. I would make a new block rather than alter the old one. The original Favorite isn't the most collectible firearm in the world, but they aren't making them any more, and it is a shame to alter one.

If a .32 barrel is totally knackered, however, it wouldn't be hard to reline it yourself as a .22LR. As barrels rust out but blocks don't, it might be possible to get a .22 block from someone like Numrich. I would use it with standard velocity ammunition, though, definitely not the WMR, and a rabbit isn't going to notice the difference.

Chev. William
02-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I believe the rimfire .32 chambers simply are the .32 Long and .32 Short Colt, although you should measure them before laying out money on dies etc. What I don't know is whether all Favorites had the early heel-bullet .32 Long Rimfire bore dimensions with about .314 grooves, or went over to the inside-lubed .32 Long Rifle with the groove diameter which, in my Marlin 92, is .307.

Neither would be right for the "improved" version of the .32 Long Colt, which had a .299 bullet with a hollow base, to make it work properly in firearms made for the old version. I doubt if the average pocket pistol user (let alone pocket pistol carrier) noticed the deficiencies of accuracy this probably produced. But I think a rifleman would.

If the use of the Favorite as a centrefire is desired, it should be strictly limited to those centrefires, at those pressures. I would make a new block rather than alter the old one. The original Favorite isn't the most collectible firearm in the world, but they aren't making them any more, and it is a shame to alter one.

If a .32 barrel is totally knackered, however, it wouldn't be hard to reline it yourself as a .22LR. As barrels rust out but blocks don't, it might be possible to get a .22 block from someone like Numrich. I would use it with standard velocity ammunition, though, definitely not the WMR, and a rabbit isn't going to notice the difference.

The .32 Short Rf, .32 Long RF, .32 Short Colt CF, and .32 Long Colt CF, along with the .32 Extra Short RF, and the .32 Extra Long RF all shared the same Case Diameters, with bullet weights and Case/Cartridge length differences.
Cases can sometimes be found for the CF versions but can be formed by Resizing (all the way to the Rim top) from .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag./ .327 Federal Mag. cases then trimming to length. I, and others, have also made .22 RF adapters from the resized and trimmed .32 cases to allow shooting without converting to CF.

I have formed CF, and RF adapters, for the .25 Stevens RF cartridges from .22 Hornet Brass by Expanding and Resizing all the way to the rim in a .25ACP Lee Carbide Sizing die. These 'parent case blanks' are then trimmed to proper case lengths.

I have also found that .25ACP may be reloaded and fired in .25 Stevens Rifles for use out to about 35-50 yards.
Similar to the original .25 Stevens short but with better fatalistic performance when loaded up slightly. the .25ACP factory Loadings also may be fired in a .25 Stevens chambered rifle with Ballistic Performance approaching the .25 Stevens Long RF but with a lighter bullet (50 grain versus 67 grain). MAP is comparable between .22RF and .25ACP so this is still within strength limits of the Favorites.

Would I feed a long string of .25ACP through a 1886 Favorite? I don't think so.
Would I feed a long string of .25ACP through a 1915 Favorite? Not Rapid Fire but singles over a long shooting day, yes. I believe this is fair for Hunting Vermin and Varmints.

If someone wishes to 'blow these up' by using .32 S&W Long Factory Loads that is their Error, and I hope they are not severely injured from the occurance.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
03-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Last week my gunsmith called me (to come in to the shop) with my 'hoard' of Stevens Parts and pieces to discuss my projects and refresh his memory on what I requested from him about a year ago. After our discussion I left with him two more Actions to be fitted with CF breech blocks, some new Extractors to be set up for the fitted Barrels, and directions on what I would like on the Action and Barrels he already had in hand. Now To wait for the work to be done over time as this is still a "Low Budget, Low Priority" job.
Best Regards,
Chev. William